UEFA Women's Euro 2022: England are European Champions

Disco

Is it wrong that I think the lasses should take pot shots as soon as they get 25 yards from goal; decent hit anywhere near the corner/ fairly high up and you’ll score a fair few?

That was a fair hit but the keeper may as well not have been there.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Is it wrong that I think the lasses should take pot shots as soon as they get 25 yards from goal; decent hit anywhere near the corner/ fairly high up and you’ll score a fair few?

Pretty much ties in with the size of goals for me.

Keepers more often than not look stranded even at full stretch when a ball is struck near the corners. 

Just an observation and really not wanting to dig out womens football.

You can say the same argument for men's handball (not that any of you English lot care about handball), but the male goalkeepers are far too big for the goals in that sport. It's the same thing here, there's a reason why most male goalkeepers are pushing 200cm in height.

Just now, Kaizero said:

You can say the same argument for men's handball (not that any of you English lot care about handball), but the male goalkeepers are far too big for the goals in that sport. It's the same thing here, there's a reason why most male goalkeepers are pushing 200cm in height.

Average height of a female goalkeeper in the English PL is 172cm, whereas the average height of a male goalkeeper in the English PL is 190cm. That's a height difference of 18cm on average. Men also genetically have longer arms than women tend to do, so there's a clear discrepancy here which will be to the detriment of the women's game for ages as you can't really fix that without altering the size of the goals, which would be offensive to do.

4 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Keepers more often than not look stranded even at full stretch when a ball is struck near the corners. 

Something I've gone on about forever, same with kid's football - there's nowt a keeper under 6 foot is going to be able to do about shots into the top corners of a full size goal.

22 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Decent that.

Is it wrong that I think the goals should be slightly smaller for womens football? Keepers always look hard pushed to get near them top corners.

Agree with this. 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

I only saw the second half and ET. The winning goal was the first time I saw England get somebody running at the defense and able to create a good shooting chance - feels like that Spanish keeper would have been beaten by a lot of shots from distance if England had had any other opportunities. On that occasion she was distracted by the other runners and was surprised by the shot, but the England player hit it beautifully. Just…nowhere near the top corner, would have been a straightforward save for a male keeper at that level.

Thought Spain were far better organized and tidy throughout. No obvious weak links other than long distance shots at the keeper. Terrific movement off the ball, both when attacking and defending. England may have been tiring a bit, but there were so many times the Spanish drew four players onto their back four then passed it through them to create an overload in the midfield and/or out wide.

Did Russo come on at half time? If so then I can see why they haven’t been starting her. When i’d seen her before she looked better than the older forward (Ellen White?) but I think she needs to work on her fitness. If she came on at half time then she tired a bit too quickly for my taste.

There’s a chance that was the best two teams in the competition. If so, then Spain were the best team. That said, there was some very professional play from England in ET, some classic time-wasting and buying of fouls. Genuinely impressed tbh. If they can learn from this there’s no reason why they can’t win it all.

Surprised at how invested I was in that game today. Womens football has come a long way in short amount of time. The Spanish winger, Shei Garcia was massively impressive, such good close control and turn of speed she has our left side on its arse far too many times. Spain by far the better side, movement on and off the ball, with and without possession was on another level, but ultimately their inability to turn that dominance into goals and the dogged English defense turned the game, Lucy Bronze the pick of the bunch for me. I also think the subs changed the game, England kicked up a gear and Spain seemed to trail off, not finding the freedom on the ball they had in the first half.

My main criticism of the England squad was the movement and passing from the group stage wasn't there tonight, too many times they ran into dead ends and needlessly gave the ball away, when a simple pass could have opened things up, Spain overloaded in defense pushing 2 or 3 to the ball in order to win it back and England tried to dribble out of trouble instead of looking for that pass into the space they left.

Spain were tactically better than us for about 75 minutes! 

They attacked down the right which meant bronze couldn't get forward, and they completely took mead and hemp out of the game

However, as much as they had a lot more the ball, they didn't create a load of chances, which is where they've struggled all tournament 

White looks rubbish, but she tires teams out off the ball as she never stops running

The difference today seemed today that we had a plan B, and they didn't, our substitutes changed the game!

Semi final against (likely) Sweden will be very tough! They got to the semi finals of the world cup and the final of the Olympics, they're very strong!

Even if we win that, we'll likely get Germany in the final, but let's just enjoy where we are for now!!

Edited by iklgizmo

2 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Average height of a female goalkeeper in the English PL is 172cm, whereas the average height of a male goalkeeper in the English PL is 190cm. . . .  Men also genetically have longer arms than women tend to do, . . . 

I can think of one exception though.

5 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Average height of a female goalkeeper in the English PL is 172cm, whereas the average height of a male goalkeeper in the English PL is 190cm. That's a height difference of 18cm on average. Men also genetically have longer arms than women tend to do, so there's a clear discrepancy here which will be to the detriment of the women's game for ages as you can't really fix that without altering the size of the goals, which would be offensive to do.

At the end of the day, is that bad that more goals get scored? Just shifts the premium on other skills.

3 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

I can think of one exception though.

I would imagine you reference the very same keeper I saw live tonight. His own team killed him dead. What an angry man.

6 hours ago, NE27 said:

It’s actually something been mentioned by the womens football authorities.

I’m sure it was only a year or so ago that they were suggesting that they should have smaller goals and smaller pitches.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

It’s actually something been mentioned by the womens football authorities.

I’m sure it was only a year or so ago that they were suggesting that they should have smaller goals and smaller pitches.

Just couldn't happen! Imagine how much money it would cost to say every single pitch has to have a separate set of goals for when women play, at every level??

If it was a major problem, loads more goals would be scored. It just makes the game different!

Unimpressed by the England performance. Based on that performance I reckon one of the elite teams left in will give them a proper battering >4 goals.