James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

I’m not sure he’s a great fit for our side either. For all of his creativity and damage he can do with the ball, I think he makes us more vulnerable.

If we stay the course and qualify for Champions League, we can go for a player who has all his attributes plus power, pace and athleticism.

Now if we go for him I’ll be all in as have full trust in the clubs vision, but I just have my doubts.. I think he’s one of what will be many many options.

24 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’m not sure he’s a great fit for our side either. For all of his creativity and damage he can do with the ball, I think he makes us more vulnerable.

If we stay the course and qualify for Champions League, we can go for a player who has all his attributes plus power, pace and athleticism.

Now if we go for him I’ll be all in as have full trust in the clubs vision, but I just have my doubts.. I think he’s one of what will be many many options.

I'm not sure there are many players who fit the bill in this regard, like :lol:

I would be super intrigued to see him in Murphy's current role. Think he and Trippier linking up would be quality. Maddison was poor tonight but thought a lot of his better work came when he drifted out to that side.

If he did come in I wonder if he'll play one of the wide roles quite a bit. Not sure there's enough pace and power in a three man CM with Bruno and Maddison. My inclination would be to leave Bruno as the base of the midfield, pulling a the strings. Then stick two absolute bags of energy either side of him. Maddison doesn't fit the bill in this regard.

47 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Bruno            Thuram

Maddison

Diaby                        Isak

Wilson

Let’s goooo

The fact Joelinton isn't in this, makes me wonder whether you're serious. 

I'd put alot of money on Joelinton (if fit and available) starting out first leage game of next season and starting our first European game of next season.

I dont think Maddison is the correct fit for us. Just watching him last night and it just doesn't feel right. Same goes with Tieleman's!!

Edited by geordiemag

Just now, geordiemag said:

I dont think Maddison is the correct fit for us. Just watching him tonight and it just doesn't feel right. Same goes with Tielemens!!

A mate said tonight; how many of these relegated stars work out elsewhere? Pope is one, Wijnaldum another, but it’s rarer than we care to accept.

1 minute ago, Viana said:

A mate said tonight; how many of these relegated stars work out elsewhere? Pope is one, Wijnaldum another, but it’s rarer than we care to accept.

Yes I agree totally. I looked at the Leicester team tonight and to me, no one gets in our 11

2 hours ago, geordiemag said:

I dont think Maddison is the correct fit for us. Just watching him last night and it just doesn't feel right. Same goes with Tieleman's!!

Tend to agree. He's undoubtably a great footballer.

I don't think he's athletic enough out of possession to play in our system, right now anyway.

But he would give us another dimension on the ball and in terms of vision and control of tempo.

Not sure we can have him and Bruno in Midfield together either.

I'd love to see him here and how Eddie would use him, but if it were him or a high intensity ball playing DM like Ugarte or Rice, I think I'd go for the later.

2 hours ago, geordiemag said:

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

It’s weird how our success changes thoughts, In January Id have bitten your hand off for Maddison as a key player for us but now though I’d still have him it would be more as a bench option/at home vs lower teams.

Hes still class just think vs better teams we need to be more physical and can’t have a passenger, you never know he may be able to put the work in but if he can’t it would be a limiting factor. 

I'd share these uncertainties about how he would fit in, but that may simply be because we don't have a player like him at the moment, and so there would have to be other adjustments around the team to accommodate him.

I only saw the second half last night, but I was actually very impressed. I don't think there's a better all-round passer of the ball in the Premiership, and he's able to take the ball past opponents with good footwork and changes of pace and direction. In possession, he's a superb player, and he's still improving.

How he is out of possession, I'm not sure, but his work rate looks good. He has ambition to progress. Maybe we would need to add a more defensive player like Ugarte to the midfield to compensate. Maybe.

But overall, if he's available for a reasonable fee, it would be too good an opportunity to pass up. 

57 minutes ago, maze said:

Still want him, but not for the reported sum. £30-£40m is fine I guess, however £40m does feel a tad expensive. 

Still feel we should have held off on the Gordon deal and used the money for him instead.

He's absolutely class. He's playing in a shite side who not only don't keep the ball but also spend way too much time defending.

Its dead easy for good players to look average from time to time in shite sides.

Give him a summer with Eddie and the boys, 60% possession most weeks and Bruno by his side and let's see what Madders can do. Isak and Wilson will get 20 each next year.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

It's also worth noting the Maddison can play in Almirons position too.

I think that's where he'd primarily play.

Unless we change approach, I think we want athletic, all-rounders in those number eight positions. 

I thought he looked good last night? A bit up and down. Over-played at times, looked leggy off the ball late on, missed a pen. Not sounding too good so far :lol: 

But his passing range is quality, he was always looking to go forward either on the ball or with his passing. Was creating space for himself with decent feet in tight areas and bagged a great assist. Easy enough through ball, granted. But still weighted to perfection and played it instantly without needing a second thought. 

Depending on the price and what our other targets are. He would be a great signing. I am still of the opinion that more of a DM/all rounder type would suit our midfield more. But the amount of goals and assists Maddison would bring kind of outweighs the negatives with him. 

9 minutes ago, STM said:

Indeed. Believe he started there last night. Though he doesn't play that role in the same way an Almiron does. Or Murphy for that matter. You put him there knowing he is instead going to drift about and look for spaces centrally. 

5 hours ago, Viana said:

No it’s not. Sissoko made over 200 appearances for Spurs. 

Robertson and block head from Hull? Carrick, Defoe and Cole when West Ham went down. 

There’s usually good players to get from relegation teams.  

Putting aside the debate about whether we want him, is a £40-50m price tag really that big in today's market, even with only a year left? Says more about the market itself but for a 26 year old England international I'd be surprised if they don't squeeze more than that out of a bidding war.

Aside from his penalty I thought he was by far Leicester's best player last night. Everything good they did went through him. He has a sort of arrogance on the ball that people love when a team is performing well, but I guess last night that was shown up.

23 minutes ago, STM said:

Can he press from the front and close down two players at a time though? I think he's very good, I'm just not sure if he's the type we're looking to add. 

TBH I only watch him very sporadically so I don't know. 

Not a great night for him to put in a performance like that. Looked the epitomy of a luxury player. No one doubts what he can do with the ball, but he was too easy to hustle off it last night, and looked very one paced.