James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Probably not. But a lot also depends on Maddison and where he wants to go. Leicester need major surgery and with Maddison coming up to his last year, they may take what they can rather than have him leave for nothing like Tielemans- there club is geared towards selling one big player a year and reinvesting. They haven’t been able to do that this year so will be doubly shafted if it happens again next season. If he wants to go to a London club, Tottenham pay well, have world class facilities and he could say no to other transfer bids. 

If he wants to go to a London club then that's where he belongs anyway.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

If he wants to go to a London club then that's where he belongs anyway.

Our biggest signing this summer should be Moussa Diaby 

Then you can find Maddison alternatives - Gabri Veiga being one - Alex Scott etc 

8 minutes ago, TRC said:

Tielemans stock has dropped so much this season. I don't actually know what level of club he lands at. 

I'd still snap him up for nowt. His stock dropping could actually work out favourable in terms of wage demands etc, but no doubt a talented player.

Not sure he is the high-energy type that Howe likes in midfield though. I think McTominay or Gallagher would be more likely if we're shopping at home.

1 minute ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I'd still snap him up for nowt. His stock dropping could actually work out favourable in terms of wage demands etc, but no doubt a talented player.

Not sure he is the high-energy type that Howe likes in midfield though. I think McTominay or Gallagher would be more likely if we're shopping at home.

Could see Tielemans turning out similar to what Wijnaldum did for Liverpool for someone. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Could see Tielemans turning out similar to what Wijnaldum did for Liverpool for someone. 

I actually think Willock is quite similar to that for us at the minute. Made the comparison the other day.

But aye, I'd definitely take Tielemans on a free. Joelinton, Willock, Bruno G, Longstsaff and Tielemans would be a decent 5 to choose from.

I do reckon we need a proper holding midfielder for certain games/situations though.

1 hour ago, Shak said:

There was a rumour that we wanted to move for him in January and he decided to wait until the summer to see what other options emerged.

Part of me kind of wants us to have used the extra time (and potentially more money with CL football) to get a better target lined up while nobody else comes in for Maddison due to his injuries. Then he goes to Chelsea to be misused there while we're in the CL.

I'm a small man in some ways, lads. A small, petty man.

There were rumours Botman preferred AC Milan, and let's face it, he probably did. We all know how that turned out. I wouldn't necessarily hold that against Maddison even if it is true. We're ahead of schedule, and back in the summer when we went for Maddison, he'd have been thinking we could be a few years away from challenging the top 4, especially considering that the powerful ESL cartel were (and still are) looking to kick away the ladder through all means possible.

Maddison is as close to a safe bet as you can get - class every season for an average side and knows the league. Whether and how he fits into our system I don't know, but I trust Howe and his staff do. He doesn't have the athleticism but he cuts teams open. As more teams fear us, they're putting everyone behind the ball and we find ourselves needing a Maddison type. Plus he's versatile and can play wide or centrally.

The major question mark is his injury record. Also think we'll have more rivals for his signature in summer because of his contract and the fact Liverpool, Spurs, Man U and Liverpool are probably all looking for that type of player.

Despite his obvious quality, I would have reservations about Maddison. I’m not sure he’s robust enough to play our style of play over the course of a season without missing most of it through injury.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If FFP is that much of an issue then someone like Tielemans is ideal on a free, definitely. Think he'd offer something different especially when Bruno is out or needs a rest.

Good player on his day (whether he has enough ‘good’ days is another question) but as the highest sprinting team in the league, I simply don’t know that he’d fit our way of playing. I’ve never seen him pressing and harrying like Willock or Longstaff do.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Despite his obvious quality, I would have reservations about Maddison. I’m not sure he’s robust enough to play our style of play over the course of a season without missing most of it through injury.

Agree but maybe Howe is looking to change our style to make us more adaptable and turn those draws into wins. How many of us had Burn holding down left back all season or Joelinton in centre mid? Our style and system has adapted through Howe's time and what's become clear is the number of draws because we can't open teams up when they let us have the ball, and more athleticism won't solve that on its own. 

Agree on the injuries though. Not sure we can afford to spend possibly our biggest fee of the summer and then see him miss loads of the season. It'd be a slight gamble.

Edited by ohmelads

9 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Good player on his day (whether he has enough ‘good’ days is another question) but as the highest sprinting team in the league, I simply don’t know that he’d fit our way of playing. I’ve never seen him pressing and harrying like Willock or Longstaff do.

Might have been last season, but I'm sure I saw stats that his figures in this area was high?

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Might have been last season, but I'm sure I saw stats that his figures in this area was high?

Maybe? I’ve probably just watched all his shit games. Didn’t think he was particularly known for his hard running and athleticism though. 

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Maybe? I’ve probably just watched all his shit games. Didn’t think he was particularly known for his hard running and athleticism though. 

His tackling and passing stats look great (can't see pressing stats). We've seen games against lesser sides this season (Bournemouth and Palace home and away, Leeds home etc) where we've struggled to break teams down. Having him deeper with Bruno further forward making his little passes in more advanced positions might help us moving forward, then against the top teams where we maybe need more running, you've got Joelinton, Willock and Longstaff. I think he'd be ideal. 

24 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If FFP is that much of an issue then someone like Tielemans is ideal on a free, definitely. Think he'd offer something different especially when Bruno is out or needs a rest.

The issue with frees is you generally end up taking a bigger hit to the wage limit, not to mention the bigger signing on bonus/agent fee.

Edited by Nine

I doubt we go for Tielemans because he’s not athletic enough for us. The reason why we are linked with McTominay is because he will run all day for his side. There’s a difference in quality on the ball between the two for sure, but I think our style of play requires energy and pace and Tielemans doesn’t offer that 

Just now, Ikon said:

Problem with Mactom is that he (imo) doesn’t offer enough ability on top of his physicality. 

And that’s the reason why I don’t actually think we are after him as first choice. He’s probably on a long list of players we like and that list differs depending on where we finish this season 

I’ve watched him a lot more this season since we’ve been linked. He’s a great player but I don’t think he’s a good fit for us. We’re not a possession based team where he’d thrive. He isn’t physical enough for one of those midfield 3 roles. Not fast for one of the wide positions. 

Maybe controversial but if we invested the same money in a proper 6 and let Bruno get forward more Bruno will be twice the creative force Maddison is. 

Not sure if I've missed something but the McTominay rumours look like the media guessing based on him potentially being surplus and Howe liking high energy players. I reckon it's probably bollocks because no way would Man U give us a deal worth doing.

Maddison on the other hand is a far more concrete link because two bids were reported.

5 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I’ve watched him a lot more this season since we’ve been linked. He’s a great player but I don’t think he’s a good fit for us. We’re not a possession based team where he’d thrive. He isn’t physical enough for one of those midfield 3 roles. Not fast for one of the wide positions. 

Maybe controversial but if we invested the same money in a proper 6 and let Bruno get forward more Bruno will be twice the creative force Maddison is. 

Don't know the stats on this but the 'eye test' suggests we are transitioning into a more possession based team. More teams are letting us have the ball and getting bodies behind it.

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

The major question mark is his injury record. Also think we'll have more rivals for his signature in summer because of his contract and the fact Liverpool, Spurs, Man U and Liverpool are probably all looking for that type of player.

I'm sure there will be lots of teams interested, but none of them will pay £50m. Will be interesting to see where he eventually ends up though, definitely there's a class player in there for the right price.

I don’t see Leicester selling for less than £40m. But if they’re relegated, the need to balance the books becomes more important and this means they’ll have to negotiate. I don’t see them going down though so he may end up staying another year and leaving on a free