James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

25 minutes ago, SteV said:

If Man Utd or anyone else are paying £60m for James Maddison with one year left on his contract, that’s utter lunacy.

Chelsea: “hold my beer…”

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Chelsea: “hold my beer…”

It will be interesting to see what they do in the summer. I know we all joke about FFP not applying to them, but it still does, and despite the all the ridiculously long contracts, they’ve got to be pretty much at the limit.

That’s before you factor in the fact that their pressing squad need is an actual proper CF, so signing Maddison, or anyone of is ilk, is surely secondary.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

It will be interesting to see what they do in the summer. I know we all joke about FFP not applying to them, but it still does, and despite the all the ridiculously long contracts, they’ve got to be pretty much at the limit.

That’s before you factor in the fact that their pressing squad need is an actual proper CF, so signing Maddison, or anyone of is ilk, is surely secondary.

Just a joke- I think the likes of Spurs would be in for him, rather than Chelsea. Never say never though…

not sure about Chelsea’s FFP limits to be honest. I’m sure though that they’ll still spend this summer, for their new manager. 

1 hour ago, BeloEmre said:

you can say its too much for a player with 12 months on his contract left, but you can see it happening if 2 or three teams are desperate to get him.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

you can say its too much for a player with 12 months on his contract left, but you can see it happening if 2 or three teams are desperate to get him.

Eriksen on the way out? Basically the same position.

I wonder who the alternative would be if he decided to go elsewhere? There's not going to be a shortage of clubs interested, so we must have someone else lined up as well in the event he decides against Newcastle.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He's a £45-60m player, if they have to pay that to stop someone else getting him, it's worth it. 

That’s completely the wrong mentality to take with transfers. It’s why Man Utd in particular have been so so poor with recruitment in the last ~10 years.

Internally, you have to place an upper limit on a player you want, if you can’t get him within that limit, move on. Regardless of any external factors.

13 minutes ago, SteV said:

That’s completely the wrong mentality to take with transfers. It’s why Man Utd in particular have been so so poor with recruitment in the last ~10 years.

Internally, you have to place an upper limit on a player you want, if you can’t get him within that limit, move on. Regardless of any external factors.

So if Man City and Newcastle offer say £30m, they step aside and sign a worse player for more money because he has longer on the contract to go?

Just now, maze said:

Not sure he’s worth £40-£50m. 

He is with a few years on his contract and league status secured, but in this position, £40m, even if they stay up, is over paying.

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

So if Man City and Newcastle offer say £30m, they step aside and sign a worse player for more money because he has longer on the contract to go?

Is the perfect example not cucarella? Man City offered less than Chelsea.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Maddison's one of the best players outside of the CL clubs. Be mental to turn it down if we can get him for a sensible fee.

Tonight was a masterclass of how not to play football, especially when the team is in trouble. It felt like he wanted to make it all about him, he wanted the headlines. 

Would rather have ayoze coming through the middle and make decisions around the box than maddison tonight. 

Rather Howe spent more time on getting Gordon making the right decisions and giving him opportunities. 

Learnt nothing new about him tonight. Can pick a pass and tries to be creative but still peacocks around the pitch too much. Slightly one paced and stamina not the best. Just can’t see him in our shirt.

19 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Learnt nothing new about him tonight. Can pick a pass and tries to be creative but still peacocks around the pitch too much. Slightly one paced and stamina not the best. Just can’t see him in our shirt.

I’m not convinced I must admit for the money quoted. He’s talented and I like the idea of having somebody who can unlock a well organised defence at home in a tight game. However, he seems injury prone and I think we’d lose more than we gain from say replacing Longstaff with him. 

This teams built on fitness, running power and moving the ball quickly, none of the attributes I think Maddison excels in.