James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

In fairness it is also how Brighton attract all their talent, come to us we will look after you will then won't fight too hard to keep you after you've been in shop window for a while

I've read this several times too.  It's just another example of how they are a really smartly run club.  As an emerging player this must be a major draw.

If Leicester really are asking for £60 million for Madison consider how that approach differs. They won't get that, it'll drag on so they can't buy to replace and people who they might buy will be questioning if it is a good idea to go there as they too might end up trapped. 

I've a feeling this saga might be over quite soon.

Leicester's bargaining position is about as weak as it gets, imo: the player wants to leave; everyone knows he's going to leave; he's only got one year left; they're in desperate need of revenue; and they're an EFL club. 

The fee will only get smaller the deeper we go into the window; but us and Spurs can afford to pay a little bit more in June, moreso than Leicester can afford to accept a greatly reduced price in August. Spurs need the good news, and NUFC has a manager who's earned the right for his board to deliver early signings. 

On balance, it's in all parties' interests to get this done sooner rather than later, so I think there'll be a fee agreed soon. Then it's a case of Postecoglou's oration vs Eddie Howe's intensity. 

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I've a feeling this saga might be over quite soon.

Leicester's bargaining position is about as weak as it gets, imo: the player wants to leave; everyone knows he's going to leave; he's only got one year left; they're in desperate need of revenue; and they're an EFL club. 

The fee will only get smaller the deeper we go into the window; but us and Spurs can afford to pay a little bit more in June, moreso than Leicester can afford to accept a greatly reduced price in August. Spurs need the good news, and NUFC has a manager who's earned the right for his board to deliver early signings. 

On balance, it's in all parties' interests to get this done sooner rather than later, so I think there'll be a fee agreed soon. Then it's a case of Postecoglou's oration vs Eddie Howe's intensity. 

I think that's why they are trying to milk the Spurs interest, in an effort to create an auction. But it does seem like he wants to come here, and maybe he's let it be known to his current employers.

54 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think that's why they are trying to milk the Spurs interest, in an effort to create an auction. But it does seem like he wants to come here, and maybe he's let it be known to his current employers.

I think they can also see that we’re in the mix for a very similar player in Dominic. Should we decide to not go for Maddison, then it’s just leaves Levy’s Spurs free to batter them with lowball offers until they have to accept one at the end of the window.

So long as Maddison is driven by footballing reasons I think we should win out here. Spurs should be able to offer a higher fee and weekly wage than we can but lol Levy. 

With us he has guaranteed CL football at least next season. Spurs have no European football next season. Being brutally honest its probably going to be equally hard for Spurs and ourselves in terms of qualifying for the CL next season. So if he plumps for Spurs he is risking not playing CL football for his entire career. May sound dramatic but he is 27 in November. We give him a chance at CL football in his absolute prime. Spurs.. best case scenario he is playing CL football at the age of 28. 

If it's one or the other it has to be Maddison for me. He's the safe bet, you could pretty much guarantee 15-20 goals/assists a season with him.

Szoboszlai might be a world beater and be even better, but there's always the risk he turns out like Havertz, Werner, etc.

I think where we are now, Maddison is the one to go for. When we've established ourselves in the top 4 over a few seasons we can maybe go for that type, but I think we should be doing all we can to get the likes of Maddison & Tierney this summer. 

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If it's one or the other it has to be Maddison for me. He's the safe bet, you could pretty much guarantee 15-20 goals/assists a season with him.

Szoboszlai might be a world beater and be even better, but there's always the risk he turns out like Havertz, Werner, etc.

With the club constantly (and brilliantly) fighting down the original "Newcastle Tax" scenario, by their constant references to FFP etc, it is understandable that people and media are becoming convinced of the lack of money.

It is a brilliant bit of work !!

Personally, I have felt for a while that we will get B O T H of these, plus Tierney.

Watch this happy space !!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

https://twitter.com/GianfrancoShoIa/status/1668248519310733315

"The Leicester equivalent of http://nufc.com (as in very reliable and tapped into good sources) seem to think the Maddison deal is all but done #nufc"

£65m seems a tad on the high side for a player who's just been relegated with 1 year left on his contract mind. I would have thought somewhere in the £45m bracket.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

£65m seems a tad on the high side for a player who's just been relegated with 1 year left on his contract mind. I would have thought somewhere in the £45m bracket.

Can't see us paying anywhere near that to be honest 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Nufc.com hasn’t been a reliable source in years 

They're odd. They rarely go big on a transfer story, so it used to meant when they did you knew something was going on. Now, whilst it's still rare they feature a transfer story on the main page, it seems to be totally hit and miss. 

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

They're odd. They rarely go big on a transfer story, so it used to meant when they did you knew something was going on. Now, whilst it's still rare they feature a transfer story on the main page, it seems to be totally hit and miss. 

Yeah they put the Veiga story up the other week even though that was complete rubbish.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Was gonna say this. Irrelevant of if this deal happens or not, is .com just seen as a good source because it’s old? I still remember everyone thinking the takeover was done because they posted about it and then it wasn’t. I’ve seen the geezers on the piss a couple of times in Toon with NE journos but it’s just two blokes running a fan site at the end of the day, innit? 

1 minute ago, rickyprickles said:

Was gonna say this. Irrelevant of if this deal happens or not, is .com just seen as a good source because it’s old? I still remember everyone thinking the takeover was done because they posted about it and then it wasn’t. I’ve seen the geezers on the piss a couple of times in Toon with NE journos but it’s just two blokes running a fan site at the end of the day, innit? 

At one time .com is where I would go to for my NUFC news. Now it's here.

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

So long as Maddison is driven by footballing reasons I think we should win out here. Spurs should be able to offer a higher fee and weekly wage than we can but lol Levy. 

With us he has guaranteed CL football at least next season. Spurs have no European football next season. Being brutally honest its probably going to be equally hard for Spurs and ourselves in terms of qualifying for the CL next season. So if he plumps for Spurs he is risking not playing CL football for his entire career. May sound dramatic but he is 27 in November. We give him a chance at CL football in his absolute prime. Spurs.. best case scenario he is playing CL football at the age of 28. 

Is it not Top 5 enter the ECL in 23/24? Or is it 24/25? Seem to recall seeing a change imminent to the format.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It's a great resource for old match reports, stats, archives etc. but agreed they don't seem to be genuinely in the know very often. Still remember they were adamant we were signing Edmilson under Big Sam despite him having a 9-month injury weeks earlier.