James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Are we the worst fans for doing 180's on players the moment we don't sign them? :lol:

He's not what we needed (fucking bonkers opinion that one), He's crap, not good enough, didn't want him ackshully, we didn't even try etc

That's a cracking deal Spurs are getting, basically £30m with getting rid of Winks.

All fans do it. I'm just glad it's over, just less noise to deal with.

18 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Are we the worst fans for doing 180's on players the moment we don't sign them? :lol:

He's not what we needed (fucking bonkers opinion that one), He's crap, not good enough, didn't want him ackshully, we didn't even try etc

That's a cracking deal Spurs are getting, basically £30m with getting rid of Winks.

Whos done a 180. There's been a good few from when this thread started who've said he's a good player but not sure he's a fit for us.

Edited by madras

21 minutes ago, madras said:

Whos done a 180. There's been a good few from when this thread started who've said he's a good player but not sure he's a fit for us.

It's more the general sentiment.

There was a common opinion that he's class and would be an amazing signing going back to Jan... As it's looked less likely, the sentiment has clearly turned to "not a good fit, over-rated, poser, wages too high, couldn't save them from relegation so must be shit".

Personally, I still think he's class and will be great for Spurs... Wish we'd signed him.

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

No, some of us have been pretty consistent in ours views on this one.  Maddison isn’t crap - he’s a good footballer - but it isn’t bonkers to think he doesn’t fit with how we play.  Because he doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, Gh0StFaC3 said:

It's more the general sentiment.

There was a common opinion that he's class and would be an amazing signing going back to Jan... As it's looked less likely, the sentiment has clearly turned to "not a good fit, over-rated, poser, wages too high, couldn't save them from relegation so must be shit".

Personally, I still think he's class and will be great for Spurs... Wish we'd signed him.

To be fair people doesn’t expect him to demand such a high wage that would break our bank. No matter how good he is, we all can imagine how Bruno / Isak / Trippier would react if we lash out such a contract to Maddison.

players with very high wages are extremely difficult to move. Look at Man United and Chelsea, or us to some extent. Lots of deadwood receiving wages for being a trainee only. Maddison asking for 195K ppw completely explains why only Spurs is interested and make an offer.

He would be great for Spurs this season. What about 2 years later?

Not sure how true 

Screenshot_20230629_022622_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e54d553f5fb27671baef9f732d9f30d4.jpg

If Spurs keep Kane and can sort their defence out I could see them having a good season with no European football either. I hope it's not the case but a lot of people in here could look quite daft with how much they are writing them off. Top 8 is going to be seriously competitive next season. 

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, some of us have been pretty consistent in ours views on this one.  Maddison isn’t crap - he’s a good footballer - but it isn’t bonkers to think he doesn’t fit with how we play.  Because he doesn’t. 

This. I think Madison is a fantastic player.

But... going off the article about why EH wanted Tonali and emphasizing fluidity, I feel Madison is a little one-dimensional as a player. He's also pretty one-paced and not that mobile - in many ways, he's the anti-NUFC right now. That is just my view.

Hopefully, we go and buy an equally impressive player who may suit our style and shape a bit better. 40m is a good deal but still a lot for someone that doesn't naturally fit our formation.

Yeah, I think some people go overboard with the criticisms of the player if he doesn't sign. No need for that. 

I was always sort of meh on Maddison. Wouldn't have been upset at all had we signed him, he's certainly very good. But I have no doubts we will be able to get very effective, perhaps better options as time goes on. 

I think the Tonali signing dragging on as it has is making people a little frayed at the edges. 

4 hours ago, Aiston said:

Everyone does it, and it’s usually exactly the same words used. The only question is if it’s actually a 180, or just different people saying different things at different times. 

Some people are circumspect, some people go in all guns blazing. Generally the rule of thumb should be that almost nobody actually knows anything and anyone reacting to media speculation - however convincing it sounds - is simply pissing in the wind. And most of what’s written - by us or by “journalists” - is primarily self-serving.

I'm convinced the club leak links to players that are lower on their list to get the Big Six chasing them. Then while they are chasing them, we go after the players higher on the list. Might just be copium though!

He’s really great value at 40M imo. He was however, part of a side that were relegated, a squad that really shouldn’t have been near relegation. Meanwhile Tonali was playing in a team that shouldn’t have got near the semi final of the Champions League.

4 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Not sure how true 

Screenshot_20230629_022622_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e54d553f5fb27671baef9f732d9f30d4.jpg

If Spurs keep Kane and can sort their defence out I could see them having a good season with no European football either. I hope it's not the case but a lot of people in here could look quite daft with how much they are writing them off. Top 8 is going to be seriously competitive next season. 

Philips needs to get himself out of City.

Would have been class for us, I have no doubt. Can see the attraction of spurs too if I were him. With all that said and done though, our recruitment has been so good I have no concerns around missing out on him at all. Next!

16 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Diaby

Discussed this before, but I'm not sure he's what we need. He's lightening quick, direct and can finish off both feet. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't turn my nose up at him as he looks very useful, but I think we need more of a technician type.

Maddison wanted London, clearly.

It's also clear he's not interested in champions league unless it's with a London club of which no London club in the champions league was offering him that opportunity. So Tottenham it is.

I have nothing against Maddison for this. He simply doesn't want to come to Newcastle and likely sees the north east as the back of beyond. Some players seem to appear to think this when London calls.

There's a reason why some top players end up at Crystal Palace or Fulham and such, or even Brentford. If it skirts around London as a premier league club then it  becomes attractive to some players

2 minutes ago, magvicar said:

It's also clear he's not interested in champions league unless it's with a London club of which no London club in the champions league was offering him that opportunity. So Tottenham it is.

I have nothing against Maddison for this. He simply doesn't want to come to Newcastle and likely sees the north east as the back of beyond. Some players seem to appear to think this when London calls.

There's a reason why some top players end up at Crystal Palace or Fulham and such, or even Brentford. If it skirts around London as a premier league club then it  becomes attractive to some players

Same reason as Newcastle. Money. 

Stoke had some class players.  It’s a shithole. 

8 minutes ago, magvicar said:

I knew Agbonlahor had made an account on here 

10 minutes ago, magvicar said:

What very old fashioned and out of date thinking.

We live in one of the UKs greatest 'Regional Capital' Cities, with one of the greatest football clubs in the world who are on the rise with an almost 'perpendicular' trajectory. and yet (you say) there are still some people (who happen to be footballers?) who somehow or other seem to think differently.

Weird, madness !!!

I always feel a little saddened when an intended target gets away, much like when a favourite leaves the club unnecessarily. 

However it will be interesting to see how he reacts when wor Sandro relieves him of possession.