James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

6 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

Why Spurs moved ahead of Newcastle for Maddison

Harry De Cosemo, BBC Sport

Newcastle United were long-term admirers of James Maddison, having made two bids for him last summer.

But he never quite fit either of the two priority positions the Magpies want to strengthen in midfield.

Their main target was a deep-lying midfielder in order to free up Bruno Guimaraes to play higher up the pitch and they are closing in on AC Milan's Sandro Tonali, with an announcement expected imminently.

Adding another option on the right of their attacking three is next on the list, as well as a left-back and a right-sided centre-back.

But with such a hefty outlay on Tonali, they are likely to take stock before another big move because they are conscious of Financial Fair Play regulations. They expect to make two big-money signings this summer, looking for value elsewhere.

Maddison operates more as a number 10. Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is a huge fan and targeted him specifically, but with the player keen to go where he was wanted, the first move was crucial and Tottenham reacted quicker.

RB Leipzig's Dominik Szoboszlai is of interest to Newcastle, albeit not at the price of his £60m release clause. BBC Sport has been told the German club expect him to depart though, so that could be one to watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united

That’s where my thinking is.  

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Cracking signing and a great price. Spurs will have some attack next season.

I thought the exact same around this time last summer.

Honestly think the London thing is massively over-rated when it comes to footballers, it is just a media line.

London is definitely a massive attraction in your early 20's and out on the lash all the time. If you are a professional footballer with the regimes that most decent modern clubs have, it really makes little difference. It isn't as if you're going to be larging it up in the Box in Soho every week. And most players will live in the suburbs close enough to training ground i.e. Chelsea and Cobham, not London. If you have a family, it moves the dial even further. Darras Hall is basically the same as Cobham/Hertfordshire. For players where London life makes a difference, it is almost self-selecting - you don't really them at the club to be honest.  

Not saying it has no impact at all, non-UK players it might help if you can get to the family on a non-Newcastle route quicker - but not enough to make a major career decision.

I can say this with absolute authority being a Blyth lad who has lived in London since 2001!

Anyway, back to Maddison - good player, always had doubts with how it went at Leicester when things weren't going well - looked broken at certain points. Would have liked to see what he could have done here at that price, but when we were quoted £50m plus was nervous that it had a high failure risk with little sell on value. I can definitely see why we don't seem to have been interested, and if we did pay him £170K pw I would be more worried. He doesn't warrant being way ahead of Big Joe, probably Bruno, and certainly ahead of Tonali from what I have seen. 

Apparently Madders is heavy into his soaps and was worried that playing Tuesday and Wednesday nights all the time would cause him to fall behind on Corrie and EastEnders. Gutting tbh.

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

Have consistently said I don't think he'd work for us.  Not fussed about him going to Spurs.

That's been my stance for a while now, but it only makes sense if we go on to bring someone in who will provide the bullets. I've loved watching Miggy and Willock having great seasons last time round, but we do need to go up a level in those areas to maintain our progress.

28 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I don’t think he’s got the physical attributes to be a starter in our system. He’s built like a teenage boy with no shoulders and isn’t exactly quick. He would have helped against the low press sides with his passing and shooting, but plenty more fish in the sea. 

Spurs will play him as more of a 10, we weren’t going to change our whole system for him. I think he would’ve still been a decent signing but I can see why the club haven’t gone for him.

I don’t think they thought they could

get Tonali and when they realised they could that probably changed things. We’re probably looking more at wide forward/winger with pace to be honest.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's been my stance for a while now, but it only makes sense if we go on to bring someone in who will provide the bullets. I've loved watching Miggy and Willock having great seasons last time round, but we do need to go up a level in those areas to maintain our progress.

If we’re going to make our mark in the champions league Miggy doesn’t cut it really and Miggy isn’t going to be enough of a game changer in big league games. We need another game changer up there to break games open.  

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

You think any modern player would turn down champions league? Nah, we were never in for him this summer. At any price.

For an extra £50kpw? Yeah, I’m sure some players would happily turn the CL down. However, I agree- we weren’t in or him this summer.

I do wonder how he fits into Ange P.’s plans. He tends to play an attack-minded 4-3-3 with a 6 in front of the CBs and two 8s who drive forward through midfield.* Assuming they keep Kane, they already have Son on the left and Kulu on the right, so I guess Maddison slots in as one of the 8s.

If they lose Kane, do they move Son to CF and put Maddison on the left?

*analysis courtesy of Tifo Football on YT

Edited by Deuce