James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

6 minutes ago, Deuce said:

I do wonder how he fits into Ange P.’s plans. He tends to play an attack-minded 4-3-3 with a 6 in front of the CBs and two 8s who drive forward through midfield.* Assuming they keep Kane, they already have Son on the left and Kulu on the right, so I guess Maddison slots in as one of the 8s.

If they lose Kane, do they move Son to CF and put Maddison on the left?

*analysis courtesy of Tifo Football on YT

There's Richarlison and if Kanes moved on, a big wedge of cash to spend.

Some people really do struggle with rejection (or apparent rejection)

Maddison is a quality player that would have been a good signing for us, I've no doubt he could have adapted to us and been an asset

That said I'm not overly bothered, simply because there are lots of good footballers out there and I trust the club to sign good players 

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Some people really do struggle with rejection (or apparent rejection)

Maddison is a quality player that would have been a good signing for us, I've no doubt he could have adapted to us and been an asset

That said I'm not overly bothered, simply because there are lots of good footballers out there and I trust the club to sign good players 

Whoever said he’s this years Paqueta is right..  but it was same last summer as well, we weren’t in for him either. We all just ran with a rumour.

I have full faith in the clubs strategy.

If you are going to be a mid twenties multi millionaire, London is one of the best places to be.

He's a very good player indeed.

He chose them rather than you, don't dwell on it, god knows how many 'this or that' decisions are made in football every day that we don't hear about.

16 minutes ago, brummie said:

If you are going to be a mid twenties multi millionaire, London is one of the best places to be.

He chose them rather than you, don't dwell on it, god knows how many 'this or that' decisions are made in football every day that we don't hear about.

Did he have the choice though ? See the reporting of Livramento ? That seems like we were/are involved but with Maddison.....Nothing. I honestly don't think we've been interested, probably since our last bid was rejected last summer.

Edited by madras

21 minutes ago, brummie said:

I think you're wrong here, I firmly believe we moved on last year and are now concentrating on other targets. Tonoli is the first, with others to follow. 

Edited by et tu brute

Let's face it players sign for Spurs cos its basically a wealthy retirement home. You stroll about london, then train, then play football at the weekend. You have zero pressure and if you win a game happy days and if you lose you just check your bank account and smile. Crazy that Kane has no winner medals after all those goals but sure what does he care, hes a multi-millionaire now. 

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

£40m and 170k a week for Maddison in the final year of his contract is steep, like. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we didnt want to pay that.

What was it we reportedly bid last season for him? 30 then 35? Don't see how we could justify going higher considering the circumstances.

Edited by Conjo

Quite a lot to process here. Maddison's great, and not joining us won't change that. I suspect we wanted him based on our 21-22 view of what we had and where we wanted to be and now aren't that fussed based on our updated 22-23 view of what we have and where we want to be. Well, not fussed enough to pay what must be higher wages than when we bid on him. I can't see us bidding on a playing wanting 175k in summer 22. He must have signalled he would take much less a year ago.

I reckon Eddie etc's updated views on midfield based on 22-23 are why we've gone for Tonali, which no-one saw coming. No one was saying "get another box to box mid". Even the "upgrade Longstaff" people wanted a conventional DM, which Tonali clearly isn't. Maddison is widely seen as a low-block door opener, but perhaps we don't need one. In our final vs. low block game, ironically Leicester home, we created chances galore and hit the woodwork three times. All that game suggested was that we needed more luck and better finishing. We finished the season creating way more chances than the earlier mega-vexing draws vs. Bournemouth, Palace etc. I feel we have far more guile now.

If we do need a ten, Isak can clearly do it, and probably Miggy too. Miggy is a funny one because he's a goal threat but never hits the line and creates for others. Far more crosses went in when Murphy was playing there. Miggy's pressing is incessant, so there is a mad bastard pressing #10 in there, every center half's nightmare. 

I feel a bit sad at the end. The club should have made a noise of we are not interested in him apart from George in his mailbag he said we are not interested because of the position he is playing. He also say unless miracle happen we are not getting Diaby and Dominic so it is kind of grim. I wish we get a solid number 6 like Kone or Lavia but it is finger crossed.

58 minutes ago, Deuce said:

I do wonder how he fits into Ange P.’s plans. He tends to play an attack-minded 4-3-3 with a 6 in front of the CBs and two 8s who drive forward through midfield.* Assuming they keep Kane, they already have Son on the left and Kulu on the right, so I guess Maddison slots in as one of the 8s.

If they lose Kane, do they move Son to CF and put Maddison on the left?

*analysis courtesy of Tifo Football on YT

Isn't Kulusevski going back to Juve?

19 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

£40m and 170k a week for Maddison in the final year of his contract is steep, like. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we didnt want to pay that.

If £10 mil for Winks comes off though then £30 mil is a decent price

10 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I feel a bit sad at the end. The club should have made a noise of we are not interested in him apart from George in his mailbag he said we are not interested because of the position he is playing. He also say unless miracle happen we are not getting Diaby and Dominic so it is kind of grim. I wish we get a solid number 6 like Kone or Lavia but it is finger crossed.

Bruno is the ‘6’.  We’ve signed an ‘8’.  It would be astonishing if we signed another midfielder who wasn’t a wide man.

The squad needs strengthened elsewhere.  Maddison clearly doesn’t suit our style of play, and I’d much rather have Tonali as our RCM than Maddison

44 minutes ago, brummie said:

Rice has a choice to make between Man City and Arsenal.  We didn’t bid for Maddison other than last year. 

I'm fine with us not signing Maddison, as I'm not sure we were truly interested (otherwise Leicester would drag this into a bidding war). And he's not quite what we need.

But what does hurt is seeing him at Spurs, where he feels like such a good fit. An annoyingly ok price too, alongside a canny personality.

Let's hope they sell Kane and we have an elite player in mind  :lol:  

Are we the worst fans for doing 180's on players the moment we don't sign them? :lol:

He's not what we needed (fucking bonkers opinion that one), He's crap, not good enough, didn't want him ackshully, we didn't even try etc

That's a cracking deal Spurs are getting, basically £30m with getting rid of Winks.