James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

9 minutes ago, Beth said:

But thats Mike Ashley logic right there. Man City have just paid £30m for a 29 year old. Maddison has got a solid five or six years at the top level at least, he just seems to not want to come here.

No it isn’t :lol: 

It’s being smart and making good long term investments. Also, we are not City. Look at the players we have signed so far for big money. Bruno, Isak, Botman and soon Tonali. That’s players with plenty of years ahead of them as well as being high quality but yet to reach their potential ceiling. We haven’t even been linked (seriously) to many +26 players.

I like the way we are doing it. Players with plenty of years ahead of them plus very young players than can come in within a few years. Having the young talent coming through before our “stars” get too old is shrewd business. We obviously will continue to sign players for “now” too going forward. But too many expensive “old” ones would mean we have to replace them for big bucks even earlier.

Having said all the above I would not be against JM. I just don’t see us going that route unless for less money than they want.

Edited by Ikon

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

No it isn’t :lol: 

It’s being smart and making good long term investments. Also, we are not City. Look at the players we have signed so far for big money. Bruno, Isak, Botman and soon Tonali. That’s players with plenty of years ahead of them as well as being high quality but yet to reach their potential ceiling. We haven’t even been linked (seriously) to many +26 players.

I like the way we are doing it. Players with plenty of years ahead of them plus very young players than can come in within a few years. Having the young talent coming through before our “stars” get too old is shrewd business. We obviously will continue to sign players for “now” too going forward. But too many expensive “old” ones would mean we have to replace them for big bucks even earlier.

Bruno is exactly one year younger than Maddison.

2 minutes ago, Beth said:

Bruno is exactly one year younger than Maddison.

Did we sign him today? No! Also he didn’t cost too much as well as being at the start of the project. He was 23/24.. I’m gonna go and talk with my door handle instead.

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Did we sign him today? No! Also he didn’t cost too much. I’m gonna go and talk with my door handle instead.

See the bit highlighted in bold. FWIW I think he'll end up joining Spurs for around £40-45m, which would be a fair price, so pointless arguing about it further.

Honestly think if we wanted him he’d be signed up already. He’s a backup plan in case something else doesn’t come off. He’ll end up going for less than 35m (wherever he ends up) but Leicester holding out for more gives us more time to haggle for primary targets.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Honestly think if we wanted him he’d be signed up already. He’s a backup plan in case something else doesn’t come off. He’ll end up going for less than 35m (wherever he ends up) but Leicester holding out for more gives us more time to haggle for primary targets.

Disagree. 

Leicester are paying hard ball. They did this last season with Fofana and Tielemans.

I think he is the primary target. But we want him for £40m or less. I don’t think either us or Spurs will go above £45m and are happy to wait it out. We might move on similarly priced alternatives but I don’t see us prioritising a £60m+ move for Szo as long as JM is available. Not at that price point anyway. 

It's been said numerous times in the media etc. We value a player and that's what we'll offer and sometimes we'll negotiate if the will is there from both sides to get a deal done. 

We'll also walk away if needs be. Absolute serious, professional outfit and i love it. 

Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a different winger/AM and then maybe come back to Maddison later in the window on top of that. Maybe late in the window we move on ASM/Miggy and bring Maddison in?

Leicester will have to sell him eventually.

4 minutes ago, Shak said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a different winger/AM and then maybe come back to Maddison later in the window on top of that. Maybe late in the window we move on ASM/Miggy and bring Maddison in?

Leicester will have to sell him eventually.

nor me.

i think there's something in the chiesa rumours, he seems to fit the bill. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go for him and address maddison later in the window should he still be available.

Maddison absolutely transforms Spurs midfield. Aside from Bentancur and Bissouma (maybe) their midfield is old/slow and uncreative. They need him more than we do yet they seem to be stalling which makes me think they don't want to pay that £50/£60M either. 

I'm imagining when Maddison is signed by whoever it is, it will be a few weeks down the line from now when Leicester concede and lower the price. 

I know Leicester are down and the circumstances aren't exactly the same, but if Chelsea are rinsing Man Utd for £50M+£5M when Mount's contract is up in a year you can see why Leicester are attempting the same.

4 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

nor me.

i think there's something in the chiesa rumours, he seems to fit the bill. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go for him and address maddison later in the window should he still be available.

Aye, I remember us being linked with Chiesa soon after the takeover... I wonder if similar to Isak he's on the long term list.

I remember in January there were conflicting reports about why Maddison didn't end up here. He seemed nailed on going into the WC, everyone thought he'd join us once the window opened.

Some said Leicester started to play hardball with the price, others said Maddison decided to wait for the summer and see if a better option came along. If it's the latter and he ends up at a club with no European football at all instead of playing for us in the CL it'd be pretty funny.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

I know Leicester are down and the circumstances aren't exactly the same, but if Chelsea are rinsing Man Utd for £50M+£5M when Mount's contract is up in a year you can see why Leicester are attempting the same.

Except they are dealing with Man United who aren’t exactly known for their savvy negotiating. They paid £90m for a one footed Antony, after all. 

Levy got burnt overpaying for Richarlison and is probably loathe to make the same mistake again. 

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Aye but you can do that to Man Utd.  You can’t do that with Levy or us. 

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't disagree. 

There's little pros and cons like Mount being younger but Maddison coming off a better season. I think the key is always not to build your budgets on the backs of what others are doing. Market rate plays a factor, undeniably, but we do have Szoboszlai in reserve there who again is younger, which can even help with FFP. 

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

Can definitely understand why but Man United are known for being a soft touch now.

Think Levy being a difficult seller gets him a lot of credit on the buying side that he doesn't necessarily deserve. Spurs' "trading" has been fairly rank with the amount of money they've spent.

40 minutes ago, Rich said:

Think Levy being a difficult seller gets him a lot of credit on the buying side that he doesn't necessarily deserve. Spurs' "trading" has been fairly rank with the amount of money they've spent.

He likes to think of himself as shrewd but he's just incompetent and greedy, just like the Glazers.

On paper Maddison's a safer bet than someone like Dom Szob cos he's proven himself in a tougher league. That usually comes with a premium yet he's cheaper because of age, contract and Leicester's relegation. He's as safe a bet as you can make ability-wise but the main concern is his injury record.

I can also see why some are saying that Maddison just doesn't feel like a Newcastle player. Howe's building a team of warriors and Maddison does give off middle class hipster vibes. Based on Dennis Wise reports and what people are saying, Szob seems more like a Howe player. He's captain of Hungary at 22, has a more physical build and has proven he can play a high energy pressing game.

It'll probably be neither in the end and someone no one expected. If Spurs get Maddison, I hope we at least help to push the price up.

38 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

On paper Maddison's a safer bet than someone like Dom Szob cos he's proven himself in a tougher league. That usually comes with a premium yet he's cheaper because of age, contract and Leicester's relegation. He's as safe a bet as you can make ability-wise but the main concern is his injury record.

I can also see why some are saying that Maddison just doesn't feel like a Newcastle player. Howe's building a team of warriors and Maddison does give off middle class hipster vibes. Based on Dennis Wise reports and what people are saying, Szob seems more like a Howe player. He's captain of Hungary at 22, has a more physical build and has proven he can play a high energy pressing game.

It'll probably be neither in the end and someone no one expected. If Spurs get Maddison, I hope we at least help to push the price up.

I want us to take the risk and go all in on Szob!