James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Ferguson had the luxury of a one-off group of kids he could mould as well

Aye and he did that expertly, but they all had an inner us against them mentality in them too which makes it easier. Roy Keane said when he joined Man Utd the class of ‘92 were being talked of and when they trained, he wanted to show them who was top dog and they wanted his shirt or rather that place in the senior team and Fergie lapped it up and created such a dynamic dressing room in terms of if you want this shirt, fight for it.

And Keane was the perfect captain on the pitch to keep that going, he himself having had Robson, McClaire and Hughes to learn from in that regard just to name 3! That’s why we failed to win the title IMO, we had no leaders, it was all KK, he was our leader. The rest were followers. Man Utd had a team of them from their ‘keeper to Bruce and Pallister, Keane and Ince, Cantona etc.

Talking of leaders, we have a few now in Burn, Trippier, Lascelles, Ritchie, Joelinton and Bruno. Plus Tindell doesn’t strike me as a Terry Mac type, no offence to him, he seems quite vocal and demanding!

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They need him to stay up

I think they will stay up comfortably regardless, with Rodgers or not, with Maddison or not. 

Leicester will be fine in terms of relegation like. Don't think they'll be top 8 contenders though which is good for us.

They 100% need a keeper in January, though. Who knows, we might use our recall clause on Dubravka then and use him as bait.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

No chance Leicester go down. They've a favourable run coming up and half of this will be forgotten. If fishlips is hanging for his payoff then the club should hang him out to dry and let him get on whilst they sell who they need to. Come the end of the season that £16m payoff goes to £10m and he'll either be ready to leave on his own accord or be in a better position to peddle him.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Anderson might progress us in the future. Maddison will progress us now. 

He needs playing time to develop, and he won't get that if Maddison comes in. I think Anderson is more suited to our play style as well. Maddison doesn't really strike me as the type of player to put in the work off the ball required in this team. We don't need him for set-pieces either. 

10 minutes ago, Conjo said:

He needs playing time to develop, and he won't get that if Maddison comes in. I think Anderson is more suited to our play style as well. Maddison doesn't really strike me as the type of player to put in the work off the ball required in this team. We don't need him for set-pieces either. 

But Maddison is proven quality, Anderson isn't. He's been playing on the left, rather than the right too.

Maddison is probably one of the best players in the world that we could realistically bring in at this time. Would be a sensational signing imo. Isak was a massive statement of intent, JM would be another one.

We'd be a cm/cdm and, sure, a fair few good cover options away from being genuine top 6 contenders imo.

53 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Super meh about Maddison. Use Anderson instead, and go for a top quality RW.

You buy Maddison and loan Anderson out to a championship club. You simply cannot compare the two.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

But Maddison is proven quality, Anderson isn't. He's been playing on the left, rather than the right too.

Still super meh for me. Sorry :lol: Fully appreciate many will disagree with me on that. Similarly to the Pope transfer I'll happily hold my hands up and say I was wrong if he comes and improves us.

For now though I think we have lots of proven quality. We need to make room for potential as well. Maddison is quite limited when he isn't responsible for set-pieces (and we have a few very competent set-piece takers already) and seems (maybe influenced somewhat based on his last game admittedly) lazy off the ball. He isn't as good at dribbling nor as fast as Anderson. You don't have to watch many games to see stuff like that. The question about Anderson for me is if he can consistently put in performances like he's done so far on a consistent basis and for 90 minutes - but he needs to get the chance to prove it.

3 hours ago, Nine said:

Anderson’s only full season has been in league 2 and people are talking about him > Maddison? :lol: 

Not saying he is better, but he can become better, and I don't want Maddison to hamper his progress. I don't see the reason why we should loan him out to a championship side when he's dealt very well with the PL in the appearances he's had so far.

Would much rather we focused on improving RW position in January unless Almiron were to find another level we weren't aware he had between now and the next window.

Don't see why both can't play, there's 2 holes in our team, the 3rd central midfielder and either wing (if Maxi moves over).

Anderson's played his most effectively for the Gas on the left wing and has looked right at home here in the same position too.

Anderson - Isak - Maxi

Joelinton - Maddison - Guimaraes