James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

3 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Except we actually did bid for Maddison. Twice.

Very true. Hope I’m wrong and we sign him like, as someone said earlier he’d be transformative. 

32 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Except we actually did bid for Maddison. Twice.

That was allegedly opportunistic, based on info we'd received from his agent. 

At this stage, it's just an easy link for the media at a time where they don't have a clue who we'll be targeting. 

Just now, Shearergol said:

So, I've heard a little bit of a rumour that we're talking to Leicester about both Maddison and Barnes in the summer. It's from a Leicester source rather than Newcastle so take it with a pinch of salt.

I'd definitely take both like. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I still think he’ll go to Liverpool, CL or not.  They desperately need new blood in MF

I think much like ourselves, Liverpool will be looking for players to slot into their high press and they're more likely to be looking at all-rounders. Maddison is a fantastic player, but he's more of a playmaker who drifts in and out of games. Unless we change system, I think who would use him as more of an inverted winger. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, McCormick said:

60-70m for someone on the last year of their contract? You’d think 45m tops would do it, surely.

Of course.

Can’t think of anyone who’s gone for that much with one year left. Don’t even think Kane would go for north of £100m

For a player of Maddisons quality + his contract situation, I think somewhere around 50m would be fair. His value this season has gone up due to performances but his contract has shortened.

We shouldn't fuck about. If we were prepared to pay 45m for Gordon, 50 for Maddison should be fairly straight forward.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

For a player of Maddisons quality + his contract situation, I think somewhere around 50m would be fair. His value this season has gone up due to performances but his contract has shortened.

We shouldn't fuck about. If we were prepared to pay 45m for Gordon, 50 for Maddison should be fairly straight forward.

We wouldn’t pay 50 last summer, no chance we do this summer either.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

We wouldn’t pay 50 last summer, no chance we do this summer either.

Perhaps we couldn't afford 50m last summer but can this summer. Very binary viewpoint. There's a million moving parts that go into transfers.

From everything I've heard, Leicester wanted waaaay more than 50m.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Personally think he'd be a great fit at City. Hopefully they don't come on for him.

The way they can and do rotate would be beneficial for him as well. I’d worry about his injury record if we do get him.

There's going to be a much bigger spend this summer than I think we've ever seen. We'll have a much bigger playing budget because of the new sponsorship deals coming in and especially if we make Champions League.

£200M total spend in the summer wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

There's going to be a much bigger spend this summer than I think we've ever seen. We'll have a much bigger playing budget because of the new sponsorship deals coming in and especially if we make Champions League.

It'll be dependant on whether we finish in a CL spot. That is just massive.

1 minute ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Genuine question, has that football insider account ever been right?

Yes with us signing Gordan. I remember seeing it from them for the first time and had a chuckle at how much of a bollocks story it was... 

17 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Was saying this the other day. We want 6 players. You don't have to be a mathematical genius to realise that 6 of the calibre we will want is going to cost a pretty penny.

Hopefully we will get one decent bosman and also get some funds back from sales.