James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

We will hoy a 60 million bid in according to skysports tonight. Leicester will reject a 45 million bid in the morning as reported by Craig Hope

Edited by jack j

I'm not a big fan of Cornet personally but if you signed Maddison and him I think you effectively resolve our immediate deficiencies in midfield, out wide and reserve CF but do so by signing two players rather than three. It would make sense on that front.

10 minutes ago, Stottie said:

JM's numbers are almost identical to Mason Mount, including the defensive contribution ones. I don't think you'd say Chelsea or England are built around Mason Mount or especially vulnerable due to him. They just play with DMs, which is fairly standard these days.

Really? I think of Mount as much more of a "pressing" player and JM as someone that doesn't do so much of that. My impression of Mount is of a hard runner out of possession and again JM as not so much. I thought that was why Mount was a shoe-in under Southgate and JM struggles to make the squad. All subjective and not looking at the stats though.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Really? I think of Mount as much more of a "pressing" player and JM as someone that doesn't do so much of that. My impression of Mount is of a hard runner out of possession and again JM as not so much. I thought that was why Mount was a shoe-in under Southgate and JM struggles to make the squad. All subjective and not looking at the stats though.

I agree.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm not a big fan of Cornet personally but if you signed Maddison and him I think you effectively resolve our immediate deficiencies in midfield, out wide and reserve CF but do so by signing two players rather than three. It would make sense on that front.

Would Cornet wear the number 99 shirt?

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Stats back it up - Mount has a higher tackle % against the dribble, higher pressure success rate and nearly twice as many pressures in the attacking third.

Obviously part of this is how the teams are set up and there's nothing to say Maddison couldn't press more but that's what the numbers say.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

You can’t? Personally I feel we are one of the most attractive propositions who aren’t playing in European competition. 

We have ambition and some players will want in on the ground floor. 

Not for a player approaching 26 who's good enough that he doesn't need to choose a ground floor option, no.

He could go to 4 of the top 6 now and already be near the top floor.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

one thing about JM. Is his ideal position is 10. He can play in a number of other roles but comprimises would need to be made where he's perfect as 10.

SO you almost have to build the team around him or you decide to be defensively exposed a bit on the wings or in midfield.

A lot of other clubs are deciding against that. To our advantage I guess.

With regards to creating chances,I’d rather have Maddison on the ball than anyone else,by a huge distance.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

I think Maddison is easily good enough for a top 6 club but for whatever reason that hasn't materialised.

I guess Leicester technically were a top 6 club, but I assume you mean Sky's big six?

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not for a player approaching 26 who's good enough that he doesn't need to choose a ground floor option, no.

Issue being that no one in the top six want or need him. He won’t displace Eriksen, Mount, KDB, Odegaard, etc etc- they’re all fairly well stocked in his position. 

I had to look it up myself, so I'm not claiming any great footballer observation skills. Mount is the player fbref's AI suggests as second top best match for comparisons

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?show_form=1&request=1&sum=0&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&player_id1=ee38d9c5&p1yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id2=5e861944&p2yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id3=9674002f&p3yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id4=507c7bdf&p4yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id5=38ce1150&p5yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id6=4a5a45c7&p6yrfrom=2021-2022

With England, Maddison being behind Smith Rowe and Bellingham is presumably Southgate not liking him. Favouritism wouldn't be a new accusation for Southgate.

Maddison not being in the England conversation could be a strong reason for him to move from Leicester. You'd expect younger players to look up to Trippier, 100% sound lad who played for Simeone, and he might be bending Maddison's ear.

Just now, Manxst said:

Issue being that no one in the top six want or need him. He won’t displace Eriksen, Mount, KDB, Odegaard, etc etc- they’re all fairly well stocked in his position. 

The 5 subs rule, but he'd displace Odegaard and Spurs need an AM

Just now, ponsaelius said:

I think Maddison is easily good enough for a top 6 club but for whatever reason that hasn't materialised.

He’s more a creator of chances than a player like Foden,for example,who’s job is to move the ball on quickly,the Man City,Chelsea  and Liverpool way.That’s why the Grealish signing made no sense.There would be no place for Gazza in those teams if he was still in his prime.We don’t play that way so Maddison would be the perfect signing for us.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's similar to the Trippier situation in that I can't fully work out why he'd choose us at the moment. Leicester are a good few years ahead of us in terms of infrastructure and we're not really a step up at the moment in terms of what we know.

My only guesses are that the acceleration of our ambition is actually much faster than we've been told, and/or Maddison thinks he has a better chance of getting in the England team because of the Southgate/Ashworth connection.

St James Park with 55k fans taking the roof off. There's only a select few clubs in England that can produce that atmosphere.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They don’t need him imo. 

My only question mark about us signing him is where does he fit in a 4-4-3?