James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

This is just hyperbole.

People aren't saying "just pay the money".

People are struggling to grasp why we're continually targeting players beyond our budget. We may well get Maddison but we can only go on the information available and Downie, Hope, Edwards etc have all indicated we won't go close to the asking price.

You can’t have it both ways. We either ‘just pay the money’ or we offer what we feel is a reasonable amount.

We’ve brought in some top quality players at good prices and will continue to do so. Some we will be in for and walk away if we can’t get what we feel is a reasonable deal.

Tbf I’m one of the few here that believes in the strict budget stories and never really believed they would throw money at it if a quality player became available like most seemed to. My only point is we keep seemingly missing out on our targets because of this. The market is mental these days. 

It’s a perfectly reasonable question to ask what was the point in bidding for Maddison if we have no intention of going close to the asking price. Obviously it’s all based on media reports so who knows if it’s actually true.

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

To be honest I’d be happy with Maddison and a striker on loan. Maddison’s ability to score & assist makes the right wing less of a priority and Almiron might be fine there this season 

Yes but Cornet can play up front or wide so you'd tick a lot of boxes.

Plus 17m is brilliant value for a versatile forward, scored 9 last season. Played 21 matches (plus 5 as a sub). Had 22 shots on target from a total of 38 shots and scored 9 goals (6.57 xG). Maxwel Cornet averaged 15 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 71%, and had 1 assist.

Not even sure a loan forward gets 9 goals?

Each to their own.??

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Even if we are willing to pay £50m we're not going to go out and brief the journalists about it.

It's just a dance. We want to be perceived as tough negotiators and Leicester like reluctant sellers.

8 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

This is just hyperbole.

People aren't saying "just pay the money".

People are struggling to grasp why we're continually targeting players beyond our budget. We may well get Maddison but we can only go on the information available and Downie, Hope, Edwards etc have all indicated we won't go close to the asking price.

They indicated yesterday we bid £50m. They’ve no idea what’s going on behind closed doors. We probably shouldn’t lose our suit whenever they tweet anything that’s even mildly pessimistic.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

It’s a perfectly reasonable question to ask what was the point in bidding for Maddison if we have no intention of going close to the asking price. Obviously it’s all based on media reports so who knows if it’s actually true.

Well I'm no expert, but it seems obvious that us bidding for players in the same sort of position as Paqueta etc. shows that we're not that going to be held to ransom by showing we'll happily go elsewhere?

It's easier to mug off a club who've shown they're all-in on one player, Man Utd have done it many times but Maguire and Fellaini spring to mind as the best examples.

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You guys stay telling the club how to bid for players. Based on what exactly should they listen to you lot?

They've managed to get in some top quality players so far. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

From what I see a number of you need to stop getting over excited and carried away when we're linked with a player you like, and just take a deep breath and calm down.

The club will ultimately get in the players they are happy with in all respects and that will be that. You lot swear you have all the answers about who should be signed and for what price and it's really cringe worthy.

Hold up, when Maddison was first linked you were championing Brandt and Aouar instead (which is fine by the way, but calling others out for also voicing an opinion is a bit pot, kettle, black).

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Well I'm no expert, but it seems obvious that us bidding for players in the same sort of position as Paqueta etc. shows that we're not that going to be held to ransom by showing we'll happily go elsewhere?

It's easier to mug off a club who've shown they're all-in on one player, Man Utd have done it many times but Maguire and Fellaini spring to mind as the best examples.

But there is not being held to ransom and then there is putting in bids well below a realistic offer.

4 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

You can’t have it both ways. We either ‘just pay the money’ or we offer what we feel is a reasonable amount.

We’ve brought in some top quality players at good prices and will continue to do so. Some we will be in for and walk away if we can’t get what we feel is a reasonable deal.

I don't want it both ways.

I just don't understand the logic in targeting players with a value of 60m+ when we're not prepared to go anywhere close to that.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

But there is not being held to ransom and then there is putting in bids well below a realistic offer.

Aye, true. Could just be a difference of opinion on valuation though. Maybe £45m in late August might be something that Leicester will ring us back about.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

I don't want it both ways.

I just don't understand the logic in targeting players with a value of 60m+ when we're not prepared to go anywhere close to that.

Who values him at 60mill ?

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Yes but Cornet can play up front or wide so you'd tick a lot of boxes.

Plus 17m is brilliant value for a versatile forward, scored 9 last season. Played 21 matches (plus 5 as a sub). Had 22 shots on target from a total of 38 shots and scored 9 goals (6.57 xG). Maxwel Cornet averaged 15 passes per match with a pass completion rate of 71%, and had 1 assist.

Not even sure a loan forward gets 9 goals?

Each to their own.??

Fine I’d be happy with Maddison and Cornet. If cornet was the big forward signing on his own then nah 

7 minutes ago, CheMandelaGhandi said:

You do this all the time. Just yesterday you were talking about how confident you were that the club would be targeting two players that literally nobody had ever linked us with, based on nothing but your own imagination and hopes. Let’s not throw stones now chaps.

How would you know what he does all the time when you joined 15 minutes ago.  Seriously - what is wrong with you?

1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Leicester, clearly.

Diaby and Isaak were valued at similar too.

I don't understand why we're targeting a calibre of player we either can't afford or haven't understood the value placed on them.

Clearly ? How so ?

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You guys stay telling the club how to bid for players. Based on what exactly should they listen to you lot?

They've managed to get in some top quality players so far. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

From what I see a number of you need to stop getting over excited and carried away when we're linked with a player you like, and just take a deep breath and calm down.

The club will ultimately get in the players they are happy with in all respects and that will be that. You lot swear you have all the answers about who should be signed and for what price and it's really cringe worthy.

We've not signed any attacking players (of quality) with this regime. 

Based on various transfer reports. We continue to be interested in players who we won't meet the selling clubs valuation. That is the #1 reason we've not signed any players that can fill the 2 most priority positions in the squad so far... and reports are that is likely the case with JM. So people are annoyed and frustrated.

I don't rate our wide players (bar ASM) at all. I'd happily take Harrison, Cornet etc. but from what we hear in the media. We don't want to meet valuations or pay release clauses upfront for those 2 either.

Seemingly the club is after a A & B class talent but don't want to pay market rate.

6 minutes ago, HawK said:

Aye, true. Could just be a difference of opinion on valuation though. Maybe £45m in late August might be something that Leicester will ring us back about.

Either way I’m just absolutely desperate for a signing ?

Just now, madras said:

Clearly ? How so ?

Well every national and local ournalist around have stated the asking price is 60m.

If you're going to respond with "how do they know what Leicester want for him" then a football forum isn't for you.

This thread, indeed most threads are created based on information provided by those very people reporting the asking price of £60m.

11 minutes ago, HawK said:

Just my opinion but I think it’s a fair assessment of the market that £50m for James Maddison with 2 years on his contract is in no way is getting mugged off.