James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

This is true.

I think we are just going for "attacking player that can play on the right - that fits our valuation". Harrison, Maddison, Cornet, Diaby - these aren't the same profile of player.

Even in that context Maddison sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of how they all play like.

Just now, Abacus said:

Nah, we pay what we think he's worth to us and then move on if not. It's a buyer's market, especially in the European leagues which struggled more than the PL.

So far, there hasn't been a queue forming from the big clubs either. And that's not meant to be a dig at all, he's a really good player, and most fans here see Leicester as an enviable model to follow.

Rodgers might want £60m, but he probably won't get that. That's if he even has any say in it anyway - to me, he is sounding a bit like a hostage who is making escape plans / getting his excuses in. 

What's your take on him? It seems like a real odd position to be in to be considering losing either him or Fofana, for example. I know the wage restrictions etc. But is that down to him, or the club, or just a bunch of bad luck?

No it's not. If the price was right for Paqueta or Diaby we would be in. But we aren't.

If JM is sold to us this summer, i'm confident the final figures all-in will be within 10% of £60m. £50+ £4m in add-ons etc. This £45m bollocks isn't going to get the player signed.

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

It's clear it's Leicester leaking this. There is a deal to be done, it's whether we want it at their price. 

I think they need to sell 'a player' and atm it's between Maddison and Fofana - I think they'd prefer to sell Maddison over the two but it'll boil down to who is willing to pay what they feel the player is worth.  Chelsea have cash to burn atm so can't see it being an issue paying their price for Fofana. 

Just now, duo said:

I think they need to sell 'a player' and atm it's between Maddison and Fofana - I think they'd prefer to sell Maddison over the two but it'll boil down to who is willing to pay what they feel the player is worth.  Chelsea have cash to burn atm so can't see it being an issue paying their price for Fofana. 

Then we just need to pay what they want. Even if its 70 Million I still see it as worthwhile, Grealish was over 100 and is directly involved in a  lot less goals and he plays for Man City. Its only money. 

Guest HTT II

Maddison is worth 50-60m given what he adds in terms of his age, quality and English premium and what similar players can go for or even lesser players. Again we may just have to pay the going rate or premium to land a main target and if not, we will regularly lose out on top targets. I’m not fussed myself, because I’d rather we develop Anderson into our own Maddison and feel he isn’t an essential player in terms of role/position right now. If we did land him, however, it would be a massive statement type signing and he would obviously improve the midfield area massively. 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Maddison is 4 years older than Fofana and has 2 years left on his contract as opposed to Fofana's 5(?). If they had to sell one, surely they'd sell Maddison.

I think that's why he is available. They want to sell him as I guess he has intimated he won't sign a new contract

I'm sure the club knows what it's doing but I feel like I don't get it. We bid like 10-20 mil below the selling price then act surprised when it's rejected because it turns out good players are expensive.

I'm not saying we should fork out the money for these players but at some point, why aren't we just looking at cheaper players?

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

No it's not. If the price was right for Paqueta or Diaby we would be in. But we aren't.

If JM is sold to us this summer, i'm confident the final figures all-in will be within 10% of £60m. £50+ £4m in add-ons etc. This £45m bollocks isn't going to get the player signed.

Well, that's your view.

The European leagues are nowhere as healthy as the PL financially speaking. It's why they're more of a seller's market, outside of the likes of PSG.

As for Paqueta, he's a regular in the Brazil national team, Madison isn't (yet) for England.

I doubt you can compare the two anyway, but I'd personally take all talk of what we have and haven't bid with caution and not worry about it either way.

Whoever we get (in up to a month's time) will be an upgrade, and the transfer window madness means it's easy to fixate on one deal or another like it's the be all and end all.

I've done it myself, but that way madness lies...

3 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Nah, we pay what we think he's worth to us and then move on if not. It's a buyer's market, especially in the European leagues which struggled more than the PL.

So far, there hasn't been a queue forming from the big clubs either. And that's not meant to be a dig at all, he's a really good player, and most fans here see Leicester as an enviable model to follow.

Rodgers might want £60m, but he probably won't get that. That's if he even has any say in it anyway - to me, he is sounding a bit like a hostage who is making escape plans / getting his excuses in. 

What's your take on him? It seems like a real odd position to be in to be considering losing either him or Fofana, for example. I know the wage restrictions etc. But is that down to him, or the club, or just a bunch of bad luck?

I which case it’s unlikely to get us or other clubs taking the bait. 

We are paying for being ambitious and trying to back him. Loads of players out of contract next summer so it’s a short term issue.

People forget we also have a billionaire owner not afraid to put money in. See the training ground and ground expansion. 

They aren’t suddenly going to stop being ambitious. Just perhaps learn to stick to what got us here and not let a manger dictate too much.

12 minutes ago, STM said:

Reet first time I've had to use the ignore function in 17 years. Sorry about that fellas.

Where were we? Oh aye, Maddison is class, sign the cunt.

17 years?! I keep that thing real warm. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, toontownman said:

First it was 3 players (striker, winger, mid) now we are only wanting half players? Worrying.

Taking Rodgers at his word by the looks of it.

To be fair our majority owners know a thing or two about acquiring body parts.

Just now, Abacus said:

Well, that's your view.

The European leagues are nowhere as healthy as the PL financially speaking. It's why they're more of a seller's market, outside of the likes of PSG.

As for Paqueta, he's a regular in the Brazil national team, Madison isn't (yet) for England.

I doubt you can compare the two anyway, but I'd personally take all talk of what we have and haven't bid with caution and not worry about it either way.

Whoever we get (in up to a month's time) will be an upgrade, and the transfer window madness means it's easy to fixate on one deal or another like it's the be all and end all.

I've done it myself, but that way madness lies...

Then why we not looking at players' from Europe? Based on what we know anyway.

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Your club record signing is... checks notes... £40m. Are you saying you aren't a big club? :shifty:

Yes, we aren’t a big club.

But we sell to them and we know what they pay for a certain quality of player.

12 minutes ago, duo said:

So have we if we want to spend em.

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

17 years?! I keep that thing real warm. :lol: 

Honestly, think this is the first time one member of this forum has made me think twice about coming in here. Ah man, it's genuinely upset me because this place has been part of my life for so long.

1 minute ago, Foxedup said:

I which case it’s unlikely to get us or other clubs taking the bait. 

We are paying for being ambitious and trying to back him. Loads of players out of contract next summer so it’s a short term issue.

People forget we also have a billionaire owner not afraid to put money in. See the training ground and ground expansion. 

They aren’t suddenly going to stop being ambitious. Just perhaps learn to stick to what got us here and not let a manger dictate too much.

Yeah, thanks for the reply.

I think we're probably hoping to go in a similar direction re the training ground and off field investment. And probably hampered in similar ways in the short term, despite having the funds to go faster, if allowed.

Which is frustrating for a manager as they are judged on the here and now. But, I suppose, long term, is the only real way to grow the club.

Interesting about the manager role maybe having too much influence. I'd always been dead against a DOF type role, but I can kind of see the advantages to putting a brake / being a corrective on the manager now.