Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Previous years I used to get frustrated because we never linked to anyone good.

This year I'm frustrated that the good players we're linked with get snapped up by Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal [emoji38].

3 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Not having a go, one of the defenders generally, but it still often takes us ages to get players over the line - at least from first link to confirmation.

It’s the same for everyone man. You’re just not sat scouring social media and forums of other clubs for any tit bit of transfer news relating to them.

We have put ourselves in the great position where our targets are from the same pool of players as the rest of the big 7 (as we have already made it a big 7). It might take a little while until we are widely regarded as one of the best options against our competitors to join, although it seems clear that will increasingly become the case as we move from window to window and strength to strength.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

It’s the same for everyone man. You’re just not sat scouring social media and forums of other clubs for any tit bit of transfer news relating to them.

I am seeing other clubs signing players they've been linked to earlier than us which negates scouring their forums to learn this.

Not complaining about not getting Carlos but it didn't take Villa a quarter as long to crack for example.

11 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I am seeing other clubs signing players they've been linked to earlier than us which negates scouring their forums to learn this.

Not complaining about not getting Carlos but it didn't take Villa a quarter as long to crack for example.

That's because his club didn't want to sell him in January, the summer was a different situation which is why Villa got him without drama

21 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Not having a go, one of the defenders generally, but it still often takes us ages to get players over the line - at least from first link to confirmation.

Apart from Bruno, Burn, Targett (x2), Pope and Isak, which were all done in days after the story broke. 

11 minutes ago, Jonas said:

It’s frustrating at times seeing clubs make signings (especially when we’ve been linked too), but we have no idea how long those clubs have been scouting/laying the groundwork etc. I imagine their timescales are similar/same as our own. Signings don’t happen overnight, and not even within days, despite what comes out in the media. It’s usually months in advance. 

13 minutes ago, Jonas said:

How do you know Villa weren’t trying to sign him for longer than we were? 

It just appears like that to us because we’re all over every bit of transfer news Newcastle-related. If some obscure Peruvian journo reported three months ago that Brighton were interested in some random over there, most of us would have no idea until it broke on SSN that’d he’d arrived for talks.

35 minutes ago, Jonas said:

That’s assuming the first link is genuine, mind.

34 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Plus 99.9% of links since takeover are bullshit, they seem to be very good at keeping their cards close to their chest and everything under wraps until they want the news out. 

Transfers will more likely come out of the blue rather than a big build up.

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

Plus 99.9% of links since takeover are bullshit, they seem to be very good at keeping their cards close to their chest and everything under wraps until they want the news out. 

Transfers will more likely come out of the blue rather than a big build up.

Or out of the sky with my cool chopper ITK scoop.

Given the quality of our signings and the progress at the club, there's not much room for criticising our approach to transfers. If we kept picking up duffers, or missing out on signings that would take us to 'the next level' it would be another story, but we're a million miles away from that at the moment.