Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

12 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Having a player like Maddison allows us to play 433 4231 4141 4411 442 - just this one player allows us to be so flexible, which we need to be next season - I’m all for it

We can do all those formations now. Maddison wouldn't make us any more flexible on that score and while he offers an attacking threat greater than what we have I'm not sure if he can add off the ball.

12 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Having a player like Maddison allows us to play 433 4231 4141 4411 442 - just this one player allows us to be so flexible, which we need to be next season - I’m all for it

Exactly this. Part of the reason Maddison is such an exciting signing is his ability to play effectively in so many positions. Playing at home against a bottom half side who are sitting deep? Play him on the right of the 3 in midfield and he can move forward, effectively meaning we can transition into a 4-2-3-1 with him as the 10. Playing against a top side? Play him on the right of the front 3 and he can drop back and play as another midfield presence when needed. He adds something we don't currently have. 

9 minutes ago, madras said:

We can do all those formations now. Maddison wouldn't make us any more flexible on that score and while he offers an attacking threat greater than what we have I'm not sure if he can add off the ball.

4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 is Isak dependent in the hole.

We don't have any alternatives. I'd like to see Isak himself with Maddison & an ASM type.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 is Isak dependent in the hole.

We don't have any alternatives. I'd like to see Isak himself with Maddison & an ASM type.

Where as I'd like a Maddison type but someone who can do the press and intensity that has made us what we've become. I'm just not sure he can do that.

Edited by madras

14 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I can definitely see us going for Gallagher in the longstaff role, think we can get better mind.

Probably my ignorance of not seeing enough of him, but when we played them up here he looked so lightweight and simply not good enough. Though at Palace everything seemed to go through him, so I'm a bit torn really.

2 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Probably my ignorance of not seeing enough of him, but when we played them up here he looked so lightweight and simply not good enough. Though at Palace everything seemed to go through him, so I'm a bit torn really.

Aye, there is definitely a player there and his style would suit us. I do think we can do better for the money though.

2 minutes ago, jackflap said:

Sell Maxi and proceeds plus 10m for Barnes is a no brainer for me

Barnes won’t come that cheap. Not what we should be going for either imo. We will play against quite a few teams that sit back in the near future and he needs space. Want someone with more flair and creativity. But also reasonably dynamic.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

They wanted 50 million in January, not sure if we could get him cheaper with their need to sell.

Yeah, I’m sure we can get him for cheaper than 50. He’s surely at the point now where he’d be pushing for a move and, Liverpool aside, I can’t see any “bigger” clubs than us going for him.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

2 years left on his deal, if they go down how much you reckon ?

40-45? He talked about selling ASM and adding 10m unless I misunderstood. We won’t get that much for ASM at this moment imo. (Only because of fitness)

Maddison, Barnes and Gallagher would all improve our starting eleven but it also means you are looking at around £150 million for all of them, without even looking at a left back, centre back and cover for Bruno.

12 minutes ago, jackflap said:

Sell Maxi and proceeds plus 10m for Barnes is a no brainer for me

Barnes isn’t even half as good as Maxi. 

Keep seeing people raving about Barnes, Tielemans, Maddison. If these players were even nearly as good as their reputation they’d be nowhere near that relegation zone. 

We’ve got to be looking at the European market or wider and emulating the value signings of Botman/Bruno. Thuram, Ugarte and that lad from Red Bull who I can’t remember his name are for more exciting links to me. Players that could peak at a much higher level than the over priced Leicester links. 

4 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Barnes isn’t even half as good as Maxi. 

Keep seeing people raving about Barnes, Tielemans, Maddison. If these players were even nearly as good as their reputation they’d be nowhere near that relegation zone. 

We’ve got to be looking at the European market or wider and emulating the value signings of Botman/Bruno. Thuram, Ugarte and that lad from Red Bull who I can’t remember his name are for more exciting links to me. Players that could peak at a much higher level than the over priced Leicester links. 

Good players get relegated though, Gini was down with us and smashed it at Liveprool. Robertson down with Hull and turned in to one of the worlds best left backs. 

A player lacks quality because he was relegated or nearly relegated is a myth that continues to prevail amongst English football fans. It applies to managers too, look at the reputation of Howe post-Bournemouth, despite being a technological malfunction away from keeping them up again.  

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Good players get relegated though, Gini was down with us and smashed it at Liveprool. Robertson down with Hull and turned in to one of the worlds best left backs. 

Someone brought it up the other day on here. How many players that get relegated go on to be top top players? Not talking youth players but it’s not as common as people make out. 

Gini was definitely one. Robertson is a good shout but was really young. Pope is another. There isn’t loads though. Those three are the cornerstone of that Leicester side and they’ve been shite. All of them will cost high fees or high wages. 

Just now, St1pe said:

Someone brought it up the other day on here. How many players that get relegated go on to be top top players? Not talking youth players but it’s not as common as people make out. 

Gini was definitely one. Robertson is a good shout but was really young. Pope is another. There isn’t loads though. Those three are the cornerstone of that Leicester side and they’ve been shite. All of them will cost high fees or high wages. 

Was Maguire another ? Not great at Man Utd but still made a great career. I get what you are saying but Maddison is an elite talent for me regardless if they go down or not.

You could arguably compare this  Leicester side to the West Ham side that went down in 02-03, with players like Glen Johnson, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Jermain Defoe and Freddie Kanoute in the ranks.

Edited by The Prophet