Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, you can doubt it if you want that's fine.

But I think if we actually looked at how much was paid upfront on each deal, we'll likely find it wasn't too far off the budget multiple sources quoted at the start of the window.

That's not the way the journalists were putting it across though when they were reporting on it.

Just now, et tu brute said:

That's not the way the journalists were putting it across though when they were reporting on it.

They didn't put it across any way specifically. Think people interpreted the whole thing wrong and got wound up about it.

The whole point of structured deals is to do more with the budget. So that £90 million budget or whatever it was can go a hell of a long way depending on how the deals done are structured.

Pope's deal for example was £10 million, but we only paid £3 million this summer, so only £3 million would have come off the budget.

Just now, KaKa said:

They didn't put it across any way specifically. Think people interpreted the whole thing wrong and got wound up about it.

The whole point of structured deals is to do more with the budget. So that £90 million budget or whatever it was can go a hell of a long way depending on how the deals done are structured.

Pope's deal for example was £10 million, but we only paid £3 million this summer, so only £3 million would have come off the budget.

I know about structuring and how that works very well. I still maintain that the budgets the journalists were reporting on, were for overall transfer fees. Edwards, Hope and Downie have been pushing all Summer on money not being available.

If we're not spending any more money this window I'd certainly take a look at barkley on a 1 year deal with option to extend now he's been released by Chelsea.

Got to be better than Longstaff in mid, and cover for shelvey.

Feels wrong to say it after we’ve had such a good window so far, but I’d be disappointed if we don’t get some cover at CM. With Bruno out the creativity and quality in the middle just evaporates, need someone else to shoulder that imo. Would feel like a missed opportunity to go through the first half of the season which such a gap 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I know about structuring and how that works very well. I still maintain that the budgets the journalists were reporting on, were for overall transfer fees. Edwards, Hope and Downie have been pushing all Summer on money not being available.

Okay, well if so, then they were wrong.

However, I think people that thought there was no budget were wrong too.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If it's ambiguous, isn't it a journalists job to make it clear that they're talking about the upfront, rather than the overall fee?

The same journalists have said thst nothing was ever confirmed by the club, so I'd wager they've just got it wrong. Like they did in January.

Edited by The Prophet

8 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If we're not spending any more money this window I'd certainly take a look at barkley on a 1 year deal with option to extend now he's been released by Chelsea.

Pay as you play

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

If it's ambiguous, isn't it a journalists job to make it clear that they're talking about the upfront, rather than the overall fee?

The same journalists have said thst nothing was ever confirmed by the club, so I'd wager theyvd just got it wrong. Like they did in January.

It's not ambiguous. Never understood why anyone would think it was for whole fees.

If you have a budget for a transfer window, it will be for how much goes out during that window, which will be down to what is paid upfront.

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I think it's nailed on that worse teams will offer him much more money than we would.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's not ambiguous. Never understood why anyone would think it was for whole fees.

If you have a budget for a transfer window, it will be for how much goes out during that window, which will be down to what is paid upfront.

Why did they not just report that then?

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Just let it go, man. Brute’s been adamant all summer that journalists know absolutely nothing. In his head he’s been vindicated and you’re pissing all over his celebratory “told you so”. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Puppets said:

If you watch Eddie's press conference he does seem pretty adamant that we're unlikely to do any more significant business.

What does that even mean? If we brought in a couple of players like Pulisic and Bakayoko on loan, that would be pretty significant. It would certainly improve our chances of finishing top 7 regardless of whether they weren't really our players.

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Would think we need to hear something concrete before the end of tonight if we're gunna sign do anything now 

Why do people keep saying this sort of thing?

Deals happen right up to the end of the window, some of which come out very late on. The window closes 11pm on Thursday.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Deals happen right up to the end of the window, some of which come out very late on. The window closes 11pm on Thursday.

Because they need reassurance.

Just now, KaKa said:

Don't agree with you on much but definitely agree on this.

Big loan deals are notorious for happening in the very final throws of the window.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

What does that even mean? If we brought in a couple of players like Pulisic and Bakayoko on loan, that would be pretty significant. It would certainly improve our chances of finishing top 7 regardless of whether they weren't really our players.

I took significant to mean no major money being spent on players.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Probably because they thought it was obvious? :lol:

So obvious that they couldn't stick a couple of sentences into weeks of summer reporting to clear things up? 

The case has been the same all summer, just as it was in January. We'll have a rough budget, but if a game changing player becomes available at a price we like, we'll do the deal. Talk of a strict budget has been blown out of the water in consecutive transfer markets. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I took significant to mean no major money being spent on players.

Well, as long as they are wearing our shirts over the next season, it will make us significantly stronger. Not really that fussed if it's only on loan as long as they make the difference on the pitch, like Targett did in January.

Just now, The Prophet said:

So obvious that they couldn't stick a couple of sentences into weeks of summer reporting to clear things up? 

The case has been the same all summer, just as it was in January. We'll have a rough budget, but if a game changing player becomes available at a price we like, we'll do the deal. Talk of a strict budget has been blown out of the water in consecutive transfer markets. 

I don't disagree with this bit. However, I do think that such moves probably impact other business. And so after Isak, I don't think it's a coincidence we are largely focusing on loans the rest of the way now.