Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

20 hours ago, Manxst said:

You’re talking a record (defender) fee for him, I reckon. Plus he’s on £180kpw currently, with another three years left (not to mention at a multiple title/cup winning team). Bayern are in talks to extend and raise his current contract, supposedly. He’d be perfect, but next to zero chance at the moment. 

We should be able to get at minimum €40m, and over €50m if we go past the group stage.

Although, UEFA coefficient will fuck us, that's why we need any European football as fast as possible.

Edited by kocunar

6 hours ago, hakka said:

I think this is where we need to continue to box smart in transfer market. If we get CL next season then absolutely we can attract some of the very top tier players if we splash the cash, but there are so many good players at smaller clubs and lower pay in Europa or CL playing teams that we can go for over the already proven talent at a major CL side etc.

Just moar Isak, Botman and Bruno type signings, basically. 

oh i agree it's just equally going to make us an easier sell to players other clubs are sniffing around

13 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Bowen is absolute quality like, I'd be chuffed if we were in for him.

My preferred choice would be Harvey Barnes, but would be all over the moon with either like.

Declan Rice and Joelinton in the same midfield would scare the bejesus out of most teams.

You can tell the last few games we’ve played them that there’s a massive respect between the two as well. Although they sort of play the same position.. maybe Rice a bit deeper.

He’s definitely got the engine and work rate for Howe.

Imagine even discussing this a year or so ago….

Rice in Longstaff's role would be fantastic.

All the energy and presence that Longstaff has with much more quality on the ball.

Him, Bruno and Joelinton would be absolute carnage in midfield :lol:

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Rice in Longstaff's role would be fantastic.

All the energy and presence that Longstaff has with much more quality on the ball.

Him, Bruno and Joelinton would be absolute carnage in midfield :lol:

The same Rice that Longstaff made look like an amateur? 

People pretending Rice isn’t class are weird as fuck like. He’d not be worth the mad fee IMO as it’d be better served elsewhere but he’s clearly a very very good player.

Rice is a very good athlete, and in certain situations on the pitch, he will shine. I can remember seeing him come on as a sub in a cup tie against Kidderminster, and he completely dominated that standard of opposition. It was like a man amongst boys. He's very good at bringing the ball forward out of defence, when he has time and space to do that, like a marauding centre back. He made one of those runs against us on Wednesday, and we weren't able to stop him.

What he doesn't seem able to do from his position, is the sort of thing that Bruno does regularly, which is to take the ball under pressure, create some space and time with a bit of nimble footwork and then ping a quick pass out which leaves the opposition wrong-footed. Rice is a big unit, and needs time and space to operate. In those situations, he can look more like a centre back filling in further forward. He often looks a bit conservative in his decision-making as a result.

He is a good player, but I do get surprised at the size of transfer fee and the sort of club that he gets linked with in the gossip columns. We don't seem to be one of those clubs, and I'm quite happy with that personally.

Half the price and will be as good if not better than Rice under the right management. Better under pressure and in tighter spaces. A bit of a rash tackler but he is a machine that just keeps going and going.

Edited by Ikon

I wouldn’t say no to Rice but Roy Keane nailed this the other month, he doesn’t do enough to justify the hype at the price quoted. In that cup game against Man U he had very little influence on the game.

Much better value in the likes of Ugarte, Kone and Thuram. 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

What he doesn't seem able to do from his position, is the sort of thing that Bruno does regularly, which is to take the ball under pressure, create some space and time with a bit of nimble footwork and then ping a quick pass out which leaves the opposition wrong-footed. Rice is a big unit, and needs time and space to operate. In those situations, he can look more like a centre back filling in further forward. He often looks a bit conservative in his decision-making as a result.

This is one thing that I think we'd miss if we went with an out-and-out DM with the aim of pushing Bruno forwards.

I was all for it last summer but I don't think there are many DMs who can do what he does with the ball under pressure (like you say). If we brought in a more classical DM, obviously Bruno would be able to offer more in and around the oppositions box which is great but I think we would lose that link between attack and defence and potentially make us weaker overall.

Obviously if we can bring in another Bruno who can do it all then great (my knowledge of footballers outside the PL is limited so I'm sure they are out there) but it seems that most of the DMs we've been linked with have been more in the classic destroyer mould?

It's a bit odd because I think we ought to get a midfielder who can slow game down and control stuff even if just to be subbed up when we have a lead we need to hold and the players are running on fumes. A little bit of me wonders though if it was like Thiago at liverpool who certainly improved them and they came close to the league and yet klopp's best liverpool side was probably when had none of that passing and was just all out all the time. Similarly we may dilute Howe's pressing game, and yet I feel it is our clearest weakness, we need to be all out full press and if we're huffing a bit we get sloppy. 

Edited by Tiresias

Im confused how some people dont rate Rice highly, addinh him into our midfield takes us to whole next level. Him Bruno + 1 would be a unreal 3 and very hard to compete with for any team in the league, I've watched a lot of West Ham over the last few years and he looks a class above in most games and against the top teams doesn't look out of place but also doesnt have much else in there to help them compete with those sides

17 hours ago, Tiresias said:

well duuur though does imply lascelles is out

It doesn’t really make sense for Lascelles to stay any longer than this season especially if we sign a young right sided CB. He’s just not going to play and you have to think he’ll want to play some football at some point.

7 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Im confused how some people dont rate Rice highly, addinh him into our midfield takes us to whole next level. Him Bruno + 1 would be a unreal 3 and very hard to compete with for any team in the league, I've watched a lot of West Ham over the last few years and he looks a class above in most games and against the top teams doesn't look out of place but also doesnt have much else in there to help them compete with those sides

I think Rice is class but the fee and his wages are just going to be too much. I’m not entirely convinced he’d come either vs option to go to a London club for example. I think we’ll sign a number 6 from the continent for less money.