Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

The monster, Thuram, Szoboszlai and a left back would be a sensational window.

I still don’t think we’ll get everything we need this summer such as a third forward and maybe an out an out wide man, but no team apart from possibly City have the perfect squad.

If we could get Guler or a similar youngster to fight for a place out wide that would possibly be enough, with hopefully Anderson also providing competition for left side.

Edited by Whitley mag

7 hours ago, Mikky said:

Think the main crux of my point Kaka was that there’s no excuses for us this summer - players are available to us - good and transformational players at that 

On the issue of wings - my ideal scenario is Raphinha/Chuckuwueze/Diaby (in that order) on the right side with the option of Maddison on the left - I think EH prefers a 433 that can become a 451 too 

They are but we will still be near the back of the queue. The players you’d imagine we are targeting are ECL/Top EPL players. So still fighting the biggest teams for them. All qualifying for ECL does is allow us to spend a little more on fees and wages but not massively.

12 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The monster, Thuram, Szoboszlai and a left back would be a sensational window.

I still don’t think we’ll get everything we need this summer such as a third forward and maybe an out an out wide man, but no team apart from possibly City have the perfect squad.

If we could get Guler or a similar youngster to fight for a place out wide that would possibly be enough, with hopefully Anderson also providing competition for left side.

No excuse to not get the RW in this summer imo, it’s been a glaring weakness for a while now.

I would think a lot more teams will park the bus against next year like Leicester did. 

So my number one priority would be to bring in an attacking midfielder or two who can open up the defense with a pass or take a shot from distance. 

If we are "forced" to play higher up on the field next year we are also in desperate need of a pacey defender. Dont want to critisize our defense, but we cant deny that they are slow as fuck. Leaves us very vulnerable to counter attacks. 

Wish list:

1-2 AM(R/C), purple

1 LB, purple

1 DM, squad player

1 Striker, squad player

1 CB, talent

3 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Lascelles is crap and relying on him for any meaningful stretch of games would be a disaster. Thanks. 

Aye. Would hope if we sign a left-back, Burn becomes the first 'back up' centre-back. If we signed another one it'd be perfect having two right sided and two left sided centre-halves. 

Lascelles has only started twice this season on the league iirc, Liverpool and Man City both away. He did well in both, but that's because I think he's a competent box defender. Good in a defence that's sat deep like we were in those games.

If we're sat higher up and are seeing a lot of the ball I don't think he's useful. He isn't good at bringing the ball out or finding passes and we're in trouble if the ball is played over the top of him in a high line as he turns like a tanker.

22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

No excuse to not get the RW in this summer imo, it’s been a glaring weakness for a while now.

Almiron ? 

Murphy ? 

For me 6 players should be the aim, not expecting to get all of those. I'd rather we get 3 signings right and build from there, than get 6 signings in and have a couple of disappointments.

Disagree with buying any "squad" player. All players should be the best we can get in any given position, they can fight it out for the shirt.

I'd go for 2 defenders, the focus being pacy defenders as that is our main weakness. The likes of Nunez and Watkins have had field days once we've gotten it wrong this season. A pacy strong centreback who is good on the ball is probably the most difficult player to find after a top striker, but that should be the aim to challenge Schär for RCB, with Burn challenging Botman for the LCB position. We should also get as good a left back as we can, with pace.

2 Central midfielders, Maddison or any other similar box opener, and someone who can play the Bruno role. We only have Bruno in this position and its a real weakness when he is out.

1 more striker that is at the level of at least Wilson. If Isak and Wilson are going to start the match, we to be able to bring someone off the bench, also only 2 strikers in the squad is really thin when it comes to injuries. I would love someone who is strong and fast like Ivan Toney for this, but I guess the gambler-addict won't pass the "no-dickheads" test which is fine. :)

1 quality winger, possibly just a forward who can play either wing or striker. I would prefer to have 4 players who can play striker for us.

At the end of the day I'm quite relaxed that the club will get it right anyway.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Exactly, it’s a lacking top quality 

Almiron has been top quality this year imo.

2nd most goal contributions in our team while working his ass off every game.

Has anyone seen any stats on how much our players have ran this season btw?

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Almiron had two good months where everything went in. He grafts and he's got pace, but he's way too limited to be starting for us if we want to improve.

In my opinion, miggy is a player you want coming on when you’re 1-0/2-1 up and want to shore up and see the game out. 

48 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Has it not been our main strength? Pretty sure Almiron is our second highest scorer. One of our most consistent performers and I’m guessing pretty high up in our assists standings? Hence the new contract.

Did I misremember the game against Brighton, or did we not see Miggy continually absolutely rinse Estupiñán? You know the player that many pundits had as the best left back in the league this season. I can’t be the only one who thinks there may be plenty of players in our squad who are still yet to hit their ceilings, with more confidence, fitness and quality coaching; seeing them continue to hit levels we didn’t think they were capable of. I personally think Miggy, Longstaff and both Joe's all fall into that category.

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

Almirón has had a great season when looking at his numbers but when you look at his whole tenure here, including his form in 2023 so far, there's nothing there to suggest that the run he had in October-November wasn't a purple patch.

He's very useful in games where we don't see a lot of the ball but press the opposition, as seen v Brighton the other day, but as an attacker where we have a lot of the of the ball and the onus is on us to unlock a deep sitting defence I don't think he's good enough for a CL team. His all round play in possession is poor imo. Good squad option to have with 4 competitions next season, likewise with Murphy, but if I was to give you an ideal starting XI for next season after the transfer window has closed Almirón is not in it.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Has it not been our main strength? Pretty sure Almiron is our second highest scorer. One of our most consistent performers and I’m guessing pretty high up in our assists standings? Hence the new contract.

Yeah the right side isn’t top quality, but Trippier plays high up the pitch so I’m thinking Eddie will be happy to start the season with Almiron and Murphy. A versatile player like Maddison or Szoboszlai is probably the type of signing we’d go for - someone that can play in the middle or out wide if needed 

4 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Yeah the right side isn’t top quality, but Trippier plays high up the pitch so I’m thinking Eddie will be happy to start the season with Almiron and Murphy. A versatile player like Maddison or Szoboszlai is probably the type of signing we’d go for - someone that can play in the middle or out wide if needed 

The reason why Trippier plays so high up the pitch is because he knows the diligence of Almiron and Murphy can and will cover him.

11 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Almiron had two good months where everything went in. He grafts and he's got pace, but he's way too limited to be starting for us if we want to improve.

He wasnt just good though, he got premier league player of the month. 

Unreliable, but has shown hes got it in him. So rather not spend a massive part of the budget on a pure RW who will be benched when Almiron is on top of his game. Much rather get someone like Szoboszlai and Maddison who can fill in that role when needed, and who can also compete with Longstaffs position.