Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Not disagreeing with your overall point but it just adds to my mild frustration that we don’t swap our wingers during the game and not always have them playing inverted.

I also wonder if Southampton had set up to push miggy down the line then we swapped it out to a player who wanted that.

I really don't think that Ritchie and Lascelles should be first out the door. Ok so they don't contribute much on the pitch these days but they have been through a lot with the club and carried us through some pretty dark days.

I reckon they're pretty influential in setting the tone around the place too, along with Trippier, so when we have so many incomings it's worth having these lads around to lay the ground rules - there are loads of others who probably don't contribute as much that should leave before them. 

Just now, tom1988 said:

I really don't think that Ritchie and Lascelles should be first out the door. Ok so they don't contribute much on the pitch these days but they have been through a lot with the club and carried us through some pretty dark days.

I reckon they're pretty influential in setting the tone around the place too, along with Trippier, so when we have so many incomings it's worth having these lads around to lay the ground rules - there are loads of others who probably don't contribute as much that should leave before them. 

It’s a nice sentiment but we’re not a charity for footballers who can’t get a game. They’ve both been excellent in terms of attitude at the club and have been a part of our turn-around even if it was more about supporting with the club culture rather than achieving things on the pitch. I can’t really see a reason why Ritchie stays but Lascelles has more of an argument to be around for at least another year, especially if we get into Europe 

Apparently because he is a player on the bench, Ritchie is allowed to be in the pitch until moments before KO and leads the last minute press exercises, which we are then actioning from minute one.

If true he is invaluable.

Not wanting to sound harsh or anything but it’s apparent the new owners and Eddie and his team have big expectations and targets, you don’t get that by carrying players not playing because they set the right tone or whatever is crazy.

if getting rid of a few of these players freed up wages for a new striker or cm then surely that’s the best thing. We also have to remember ffp is about outgoings as well so if players aren’t contributing and not needed then get rid in my opinion. 

36 minutes ago, James said:

Apparently because he is a player on the bench, Ritchie is allowed to be in the pitch until moments before KO and leads the last minute press exercises, which we are then actioning from minute one.

Eh? Ritchie is taking training drills in the warm ups? 

No way Ritchie is here beyond summer. He has a few years of playing time left and will want to play. Makes perfect sense for Lascelles to leave too. He’s just not going to get game time now and we’ll almost certainly bring in a young right sided CB in the summer.

We need to clear the decks and free up wage space. 

47 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s a nice sentiment but we’re not a charity for footballers who can’t get a game. They’ve both been excellent in terms of attitude at the club and have been a part of our turn-around even if it was more about supporting with the club culture rather than achieving things on the pitch. I can’t really see a reason why Ritchie stays but Lascelles has more of an argument to be around for at least another year, especially if we get into Europe 

We’re evidently not a charity though are we? Wood was a big positive presence around the club by all accounts, but when it made financial sense to do so we moved him on.

If someone comes in and offers enough cold, hard cash for our squad players they’ll be on their way. But as the wording implies we do need a squad. If we sell Lascelles or Ritchie they’ll need to be replaced and often that’s a greater financial burden than retaining an existing player. 

If we’re on about setting the tone, personally I think it’s pretty embarrassing that we’ve got a player on the bench who hasn’t been a PL standard footballer for 5 years. No idea why he’d want to stay unless he’s accepted his days as a pro are over. 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

If we’re on about setting the tone, personally I think it’s pretty embarrassing that we’ve got a player on the bench who hasn’t been a PL standard footballer for 5 years. No idea why he’d want to stay unless he’s accepted his days as a pro are over. 

I think your last sentence is pretty bang on. Certainly his days as a PL pro are over 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I watch the players warm up when I’m at the games, I’ve never seen Ritchie taking them through any drills.

Of course he doesn't :lol:

'Invaluable' Matt Ritchie ffs. James is on another planet

2 minutes ago, christ said:

We’re evidently not a charity though are we? Wood was a big positive presence around the club by all accounts, but when it made financial sense to do so we moved him on.

If someone comes in and offers enough cold, hard cash for our squad players they’ll be on their way. But as the wording implies we do need a squad. If we sell Lascelles or Ritchie they’ll need to be replaced and often that’s a greater financial burden than retaining an existing player. 

Last game lascelles and manquillo started is one very few games we conceded more than one goal in and we got beat off Shef Wed.

even the lowest footballers wages is high and to keep them around because they’re apparently good crack seems mental to me personally.  This summer we’re gonna have a new shirt sponsor coming in and we need to get finances right - surely top of the to do list is going to be trim the squad and remove unwanted players.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I watch the players warm up when I’m at the games, I’ve never seen Ritchie taking them through any drills.

Someone else posted it on here so I’m only going off what they said!

1 hour ago, James said:

:lol: Despite not being true in the slightest, him doing something that any coach worth their salt could do makes him "invaluable".

Turn down that £50m bid from China for Matt Ritchie, he's invaluable.

Just now, Gawalls said:

Last game lascelles and manquillo started is one very few games we conceded more than one goal in and we got beat off Shef Wed.

even the lowest footballers wages is high and to keep them around because they’re apparently good crack seems mental to me personally.  This summer we’re gonna have a new shirt sponsor coming in and we need to get finances right - surely top of the to do list is going to be trim the squad and remove unwanted players.

What the fuck are you talking about? Trim the squad? We’re always about two injuries away from being absolutely fucked :lol:

I’m not debating the quality of these players but please, a little perspective. We need more than a match day 18. Players get injured, tired, whatever. Lascelles and Ritchie are not the calibre I’d really want us to have as backup but we’re in transition. Replacing them with players of equivalent quality let alone someone better will have a greater cost than keeping them when you factor in transfer fees, signing on bonuses, agents etc.

If another club comes in and makes a good offer they’ll be on their way. Evidently that’s not forthcoming, and the club aren’t going to flog them under market value because Gawalls from the internet thinks they should.