Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Just now, BennyBlanco said:

In respect of journo's being well briefed about the goings on at NUFC I'm highly surprised that George Caulkin isn't normally the first one to break a story. During the takeover saga he was usually the one with the inside track and access to Staveley but since they've taken over its like he's become useless to them. 

The athletic journalists for the north east are the worst in the country for breaking transfer news. Every other clubs reporter seems to be the first other then ours.

10 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

We're not signing Maddison man. 

(not this month anwyay!) 

So you're saying loan with obligation to buy in the summer so he can't play against them ? You may have something there.

6 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

In respect of journo's being well briefed about the goings on at NUFC I'm highly surprised that George Caulkin isn't normally the first one to break a story. During the takeover saga he was usually the one with the inside track and access to Staveley but since they've taken over its like he's become useless to them. 

I just don't think it's their "thing" really. They don't rely on clicks so they don't need to keep spouting rumour after rumour.

Edwards should just have his own thread on here, so people can blissfully not see any of the bald pricks bullshit again. He teeets, and then we get the same discussion on why he is a cunt over again, with the odd person fighting his corner (:bluestar:). Would save a good few pages of wasteful reading. 

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Think it was reported we got to within 2 or 4 million of the asking price but they also wanted 50% sell on. We obviously aren't entertaining that.

you gotta do what ya gotta do

39 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Edwards should just have his own thread on here, so people can blissfully not see any of the bald pricks bullshit again. He teeets, and then we get the same discussion on why he is a cunt over again, with the odd person fighting his corner (:bluestar:). Would save a good few pages of wasteful reading. 

Like the Sunderland thread. You know what you’re in for before you click and have time prepare yourself (e.g. make some popcorn).

7 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

The athletic journalists for the north east are the worst in the country for breaking transfer news. Every other clubs reporter seems to be the first other then ours.

Ornstein and Caulkin wrote the piece about Gordon joining. I think they prefer to report when they have solid evidence it’s official rather than a hint of speculation.

Apart from Ornstein, who is their transfers/breaking news lead, The Athletic tends to want their writers to write more detailed, nuanced pieces. They're not trying to sell daily papers, they're trying to sell long-term subscriptions. So they tend to want analysis pieces, interviews, profiles, etc. rather than strictly news stories. 

I say this with some experience as I used to write for them here in the States. It is a little different for the UK department, of course, but the overall culture is similar. The remit at the Athletic is quite different than in other places I wrote.

I'd judge them differently, as they're not trying to break news, especially on individual transfers. And they generally don't.