Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, STM said:

It's a fair question. What would you do if a 30m bid came in for Wilson, 25m for Miggy, 25m for Schar.

I know we don't need to sell players, nor do I want to.... I would like to see the debate opened up.

I mean, the obvious answer is it depends on what we're planning on replacing them with.

But I definitely think it's plausible that we want to go big on a CB and think/know that Lascelles would be a better bench leader than Schar, for example, and Schar going for £18m would help mitigate a £40m signing.

And although his form has massively improved, Wilson still doesn't look totally happy in himself to me - maybe for off field reasons - so again, I don't think a move down south is out of the question.

Not that I'm especially wanting any of these things to happen, by the way.

11 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Ideally I don't want any of our key contributors from this year sold - they all deserve a chance to savour Europe and I want to see them given it. Think how much so many of them have improved - what's to say that exposure to (hopefully) elite level Euro football won't give them the platform to improve further?

I do agree with you, but you'd have to expect that the players hitting/past 30 are the ones least likely to benefit from that.

That's particularly the case in terms of market value, where one year's CL experience is one year closer to retirement. I don't like it, but we do need to think about it a bit to avoid doing a Leicester - having key squad members ageing out and leaving for nothing.

26 minutes ago, STM said:

It's a fair question. What would you do if a 30m bid came in for Wilson, 25m for Miggy, 25m for Schar.

I know we don't need to sell players, nor do I want to.... I would like to see the debate opened up.

Fabian Schar is 31, I think £25m as a price tag might be pitched on the high side. But other than that, I think all of those players would want (and deserve) a shot at the CL if given the choice. It is a tough decision on our part though, as we might need to sell some of our players who can bring in big fees to pay for new signings.

Given the choice though, I'd keep them all. We'll need a big squad next season, and they would get plenty of games.

The other issue is that every first team player we sell means another one needs to be bought. We're already looking at 5-6 new faces through the door, the more you add the harder it is to build up the chemistry and cohesion we need to play Howe's system. 

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Post-World Cup he looked finished, but now he's one of our most important players.

Form is temporary and all that.

He was also ill for a long time

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

It wouldn’t be a sensible course of action to sell our top scorer and player who Howe has confirmed leads our press on the field.

I can see the financial reasons for it, but do we really think Eddie would sell players who have got us into the CL unless they wanted to leave?

I suppose there is the contract situation to sort out, that is the only reason I could see for Wilson leaving, otherwise pretty sure he'd want one crack at the CL in his career, and we could certainly use him over the next season.

Just now, Theregulars said:

Personally I don’t see any plus to selling Wilson right now. He’s largely been great for us and fits perfectly into what we’re doing. Plus his face 

We have so many other positions to fill, and finding someone half as good will cost some.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Personally I don’t see any plus to selling Wilson right now. He’s largely been great for us and fits perfectly into what we’re doing. Plus his face 

Suppose I’d depends on who they would replace him with.

Wilson can still get good numbers for 2-3 years IMO as long as he's rotated and managed carefully. We're also very unlikely to find a better goalscorer without spending a fuck ton, and even then it would be no guarantee.

Letting Wilson go when he's in the form that he is right now is a mad suggestion 

I understand earlier when he was on that shocking run of form but clearly that was a bad patch and he's even spoken about that 

He's also very keen on playing in Europe, in particular the Champions League so he'll not be wanting to leave now

1 hour ago, STM said:

Ideally I’d not sell a single one of our top starting line up plus the next couple on the bench.  We should be buying players that are better and they become the squad ones.  For example If you sell Miggy and we are in Europe we need two players to replace him.  One to start one for the squad.

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

I was toying with the idea of selling Wilson in the summer but I wouldn't now. We'll be competing on 4 fronts next season and you need a squad for that. You don't build one by selling your better players. 

Selling Wilson would leave us only with Isak as a striker. We already need an attacking player that probably could play through the middle in an emergency as is.

Wilson can go on for another few years yet if he works hard and stays professional. He's been back to his best physically recently and looked as quick as he's ever done on Thursday imo. Really pleased he's managed to play 34 games this season too - only really missed a month at the beginning of the season and then a week or so for covid before the WC. 

edit: honestly if we get some really quality additions in the summer he's the type of player who could hit a 30+ goal season if he stays fit and in the team. 

Edited by Smal

I don’t think there is any doubt about Wilson’s ability, we just need to manoeuvre in the transfer market to free us up for FFP.

A player sold every season would make a big difference in the short term.

Absolutely do not sell Wilson ffs it’s not even a conversation unless he actively wanted to leave which he won’t when he’s just given an interview about how desperate he is to play the champions league. Jesus. We need a squad. 

I know selling players would help us with ffp right now, but it would also come back to bite us in the ass in the years ahead when the incoming players are still depreciating in ffp value.

Really dont want to risk team morale so I think we should only sell our regulars this season if they either want to go, we get a very good offer or we have a really good signing lined up that requires some funds to get by ffp.

I also only want 2 big players coming so we dont mess with our team morale too much, another 3-4 young talents to boost the squad for Europe.

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I don’t think there is any doubt about Wilson’s ability, we just need to manoeuvre in the transfer market to free us up for FFP.

A player sold every season would make a big difference in the short term.

But how much do we get for Wilson and how much do it cost finding a 15+ goal scorer?

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Imagine how much a fitting Wilson replacement would cost

Would only get rid if we somehow can replace him with Kane, but I guess he is destined for Manu unless he goes the Shearer route.