Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Because of FFP we are going to have to sell some good players on this journey, not just about clearing the deadwood.

selling a good player or two ahead of their depreciation this summer might mean that Bruno stays beyond 2024 as we wouldn't need to sell him.

We have a small squad though.  And I don’t expect an overhaul of a team that will have finished 3rd.  

We’ll sell as many wingers as we sign.  Probably 1. 

We could sign 2 midfielders and let Anderson go out on loan.  

We could sign a CB and LB. And not lose anyone with significant game time (sorry Targett).  And a proper backup GK. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We have a small squad though

of first team quality players aye, but we are still using all 25 league registration slots and I'm not sure Krafth is even registered as one of those. There are still a lot of players in the squad to move on if we want to sign additions. 

Yesterday’s game highlighted the lack of squad depth and the need for 4-6 top quality signings. I felt we needed to make changes to freshen things up in the second half, but there was just nobody on the bench you could trust to come on and do the job we needed 

Move 5 on and make 5/6 good signings and bring the average age of the squad down. Ritchie out of contract, move 2 of our gks on, get rid of Lewis and Fraser. 

There's still a good chunk of deadwood that will not effect the quality if they go.

Sign a young GK, CB, LB, CDM, RW and ST.

Then start looking at younger talent to take us to the next level in a couple of years.

26 minutes ago, Smal said:

of first team quality players aye, but we are still using all 25 league registration slots and I'm not sure Krafth is even registered as one of those. There are still a lot of players in the squad to move on if we want to sign additions. 

Aye but the rest don’t play. Getting rid of them is inevitable aye but we won’t generate much in revenue. 

Only 1 or 2 playing squad members Will be sold imo. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

We need two CMs minimum.  

Getting Gallagher who could fill in that Longstaff role who is also young, has a seemingly good mentality, and will improve would be a good starting point tbh, alternatively if you could get someone like Ward-Prowse for £20m, that would be a decent gamble, and be good depth in place of Bruno, i'd also want and out and out DM, no idea who that would be mind.

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We need two CMs minimum.  

Yesterday demonstrated that perfectly, just 1 won't be enough

In the front 3 we currently have 6 established players (Wilson, Isak, ASM, Miggy, Murphy, Gordon) plus Joelinton/Willock that can play there

In the midfield 3 we have 4 (Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff, Willock) of which 1/2 also will play in the front 3 at times, Anderson is far from established and not convinced he's a CM, so it's obvious we need 2 more in the middle 

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

The Athletic reporting current targets are including, but not restricted to:

Maddison

Tierney

Gallagher

McTominay

Szoboszlai

Kheperen Thuram

Don’t want any of the first four, bar maybe Maddison depending on the fee. We have enough English grit and PL experience in the squad. Let’s go for better value abroad, like we have done with Bruno, Botman and Isak.

40 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Yesterday’s game highlighted the lack of squad depth and the need for 4-6 top quality signings. I felt we needed to make changes to freshen things up in the second half, but there was just nobody on the bench you could trust to come on and do the job we needed 

Don’t see that at all. We always had everything under control yesterday, so there was just no need to change things. We slowed the game down, not through tiredness but to frustrate Brighton.

only change I’d have made a bit earlier was ASM for Isak as I thought the latter was blowing a bit and his defensive work was understandably suffering. As it were he stayed on and supplied the pass for the 4th so…

15 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Don’t want any of the first four, bar maybe Maddison depending on the fee. We have enough English grit and PL experience in the squad. Let’s go for better value abroad, like we have done with Bruno, Botman and Isak.

Tierney is a quality full-back and a clear upgrade. Doubt we’d get a better player for the money we’d pay for him.

We need to also consider the home-grown quota for European competitions.

We probably need another keeper if Dubs & Karius move on. I personally don't want Darlo back. We could also fulfill the home-grown quota by bringing Timmy or Frazer Forster back to the club as some have already pointed out earlier. 

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Tierney is a quality full-back and a clear upgrade. Doubt we’d get a better player for the money we’d pay for him.

We need to also consider the home-grown quota for European competitions.

Does Tierney qualify as HG? 

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Howe value PL experience high it seems, and we have a mix of it. Foreigns and PL transfers. But I dont like the idea of three/four PL players coming in. For all the experience Gallagher has, I think Thuram got much more to offer.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Howe was asked last night about squad depth for Europe next season. He said something like needing tow equally strong starting 11s.

My take on that was that he wasn’t talking about having 22 strong players for 2 different starting elevens but that he wanted enough players to be able to rotate from one game to the next so that each starting 11 was equally as strong. Some players may play both games but he could rotate in equally good players if some players needed a rest. 

If that makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, LV said:

My take on that was that he wasn’t talking about having 22 strong players for 2 different starting elevens but that he wanted enough players to be able to rotate from one game to the next so that each starting 11 was equally as strong. Some players may play both games but he could rotate in equally good players if some players needed a rest. 

If that makes sense. 

Aye makes sense, I reckon 5/6 signings would be ideal.