What are your minimum expectations for this season? (2022/23)

Rich

What are your competition expectations for this season?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum acceptable finish in the Premier League?

2. 2. What is the minimum acceptable progress in the FA Cup?

3. 3. What is the minimum acceptable progress in the League Cup?

I accidentally put 7th, was meant to put 9th.

Quarter finals in the cups. Not both, just one decent run will do.

From an aesthetic point of view, I want us to have the whole season looking like a progressive side, who want to keep the ball, who wants to attack the opposition etc. Eddie has already started this, so I'm comfortable it will be achieved.

Also expect less gubbings against the big clubs. Expected a few last year and we'll always be susceptible to them the way we're aiming to play so will still get the odd one or two, but it's basically Howe's defence now.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

We seem to be of similar mind. I put 10th. Last season, 11th was an over-achievement on the squad, we had, and 10th would still be an over-achievement, even allowing for the improvements we've made.

But I nurture the idea that, if Eddie can over-achieve to the same extent as last season, we could be talking top 6.

Last time I checked, the bookies have us down for 7th - the best of the rest.

I'd be content with a strong 11th i.e. as long as we've kept up with whoever is above us most of the season. I don't ascribe to 'we were one of the best teams in the league for the second half of the season so that will carry over'. As impressive as Howe was, I have to account some of it to the weight of Bruce off the club's shoulders and momentum that may not carry over until proven otherwise. Not to mention some teams seemingly strengthening as much, if not more than us this summer. 

I've gone 1/4s of the League Cup and 5R of FA Cup as if we can take both seriously there's more chance of catching an understrength 'top' team in the League Cup not taking it as seriously for a better run. 

Guest HTT II

I’d be disappointed if we finished below 10th given we finished 11th last season and I’d be really disappointed if we didn’t get past the 3rd round of both cups. Unless we buy in two more quality attacking players, however, given how well WHU have done with their signings, who should be our benchmark, I can’t see us finishing as high as 7th which should be our aim…

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

We seem to be of similar mind. I put 10th. Last season, 11th was an over-achievement on the squad, we had, and 10th would still be an over-achievement, even allowing for the improvements we've made.

But I nurture the idea that, if Eddie can over-achieve to the same extent as last season, we could be talking top 6.

Last time I checked, the bookies have us down for 7th - the best of the rest.

Re the bookies. I think that's punters taking some value thinking we'll strengthen before the window shuts.

It's a difficult question to answer while the transfer window is still open.

As it stands with no more signings I'm expecting a top half finish and good cup run (whatever a good cup run may look like, I don't know, I'll know it when I see it).

However my expectations will change if we go an sign a couple of top class players who improve either the first 11 or the squad ie. With Maddison and Werner for example I'd expect Top 7 minimum and still having a good cup run.

Guest HTT II

I’m not that bothered about possession stats, but I do want us to play higher up the pitch and to play quicker balls forward and attack more. I want to see every player who over performed at times last season, Joelinton, Shelvey, Kraft etc. maintain them same standards and our top or better players to kick on even more. I hope Longstaff grows and grows too.

I've put 10th, but a campaign where we have absolutely zero fear of relegation for once would be smashing. So that could mean 11th, 12th, whatever. Cups I put quarters for both, because I'm greedy and want to see us take them very seriously.

Just now, Rich said:

Look at all of us deluded Geordie bastards eh?

Some cracking answers so far.

It does need remembered that most NUFC fans are actually slightly reserved, even negative because they are worried about that perception.

You'd think it was a crime to be optimistic, its not like we are in control of anything anyway. 

Let's have a right go and see where the chips land. :thup:

Guest HTT II

Speaking personally, I’m also going to try and make it a mission of mine not to go in too hard on our players after reading about Longstaff’s troubles, I kind of now know who is good and not as we all do, but I subscribed to the “I only want a team that tries” mantra and I’m 100% certain under Howe every single player will give their all. We do need to be patient as a fanbase (I’m so glad I’m not on Twitter and don’t follow any other NUFC related social media stuff), because this season won’t always go our way, even maybe this afternoon.

With 2 more quality signings we can certainly push top 8, absolutely nothing to fear there. If anything the likes of Wolves and Brighton have gone backwards on paper at least. Without any new signings I think 10th would be an achievement based on the fact I just can’t see Wilson staying fit.

Edited by SUPERTOON

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, STM said:

It does need remembered that most NUFC fans are actually slightly reserved, even negative because they are worried about that perception.

You'd think it was a crime to be optimistic, its not like we are in control of anything anyway. 

Let's have a right go and see where the chips land. :thup:

I’d say most of our fanbase are bi-polar in that they are positive pessimists. Forever hopeful, but forever dreading the worst. The idea that we over demand and have un worldly expectations is fucking delusional because most of my mates and most I know who are Toon fans would be delighted to just finish 10th with a good cup run and to never ever have to worry about relegation again. Expectations will need tempered though as we progress year on year. But that’s football. We should all look forward to the new season and like you said it’s not a crime to be optimistic.

Guest HTT II

What excites me or rather pleases me quite a lot is I know our manager and his staff and players will go into every game wanting 3 points, home or away, regardless of who we are playing. Of course circumstances during a game will dictate things, for example if we are getting hammered, damage limitation, or if we are losing and it’s late in the game and we can equalise it’s a bonus etc., but we will be trying to beat whoever we play. A world away from Bruce-ball!

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Honestly, something will have gone seriously wrong if we finish 10th given we should be hugely improved on last season. 

We have, but so will have everyone else pretty much. I’d be disappointed if we finished outside of the top 10 like I stated, but if we finished 10th, it wouldn’t be a disaster.

Anyway to quote my fave band as it’s the start of a new season:

I'm so happy, 'cause today I found my friends, they're in my head.

Edited by HTT II

Went for 9th as things stand, based on the unity at the club and what we can achieve with momentum. Fully expect to see improvement in several individual players due to the input of one man. With a couple of astute additions I see no reason we can`t be sniffing around 7th