Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Since their promotion with us, West Brom have done really well at establishing themselves as the most also-ran-ish side that ever also-ran. 11th, 10th, 8th, 17th, 13th, 14th, now 8th. Yawnarrific. Went travelling with a lad who was a big Baggie, and he was adamant he wouldn't want to see them in Europe either, because it might threaten their Premier League status. Imagine that. Such a meh club.

Was he called Derek Pardew?

I'm stopping in Wellington, NZ for a bit and happened upon Wellington Phoenix playing Beijing BG (aye, Tiote's new team,he wasn't there though) in a friendly tonight. (what a standard - Kiwi v second tier Chinese).

Anyway, turned out they were using the game to trial video refereeing - proper video refereeing, and sure enough they used it to decide the only goal of the game. Phoenix (:anguish:) put a ball in the box and looked like one of their players probably got pushed, it'd have probably been a correct-but-soft pen, I wasn't paying much attention. It goes for a goal kick, keeper's ready to take it, but referee is fannying on with his ear, he then runs off the pitch, looks like he's crouching down at a laptop for a bit, meanwhile this non-clear cut push is playing over and over on the big screen. He runs back on the pitch then announces a pen, all the Beijing players pointing to the big screen going "It's not like!". Suffice to say, it was shit.

I'm stopping in Wellington, NZ for a bit and happened upon Wellington Phoenix playing Beijing BG (aye, Tiote's new team,he wasn't there though) in a friendly tonight. (what a standard - Kiwi v second tier Chinese).

Anyway, turned out they were using the game to trial video refereeing - proper video refereeing, and sure enough they used it to decide the only goal of the game. Phoenix (:anguish:) put a ball in the box and looked like one of their players probably got pushed, it'd have probably been a correct-but-soft pen, I wasn't paying much attention. It goes for a goal kick, keeper's ready to take it, but referee is fannying on with his ear, he then runs off the pitch, looks like he's crouching down at a laptop for a bit, meanwhile this non-clear cut push is playing over and over on the big screen. He runs back on the pitch then announces a pen, all the Beijing players pointing to the big screen going "It's not like!". Suffice to say, it was s***.

It's probably going to have to be a vid-ref watching and talking to the main ref on the pitch in order for it to be quick and decisive. It'll always be open to "it was" / "nar it wasn't" type shit.

:lol: Christ - so many decisions are debateable and down to people's interpretation that video refereeing just wouldnt work. How often do pundits/supporters sit arguing after a match on whether or not contact was enough for the player to go down.

Rather than investing in technology, they should invest in training more (and better quality) referees.

Guest neesy111

Anyway, turned out they were using the game to trial video refereeing - proper video refereeing, and sure enough they used it to decide the only goal of the game. Phoenix (:anguish:) put a ball in the box and looked like one of their players probably got pushed, it'd have probably been a correct-but-soft pen, I wasn't paying much attention. It goes for a goal kick, keeper's ready to take it, but referee is fannying on with his ear, he then runs off the pitch, looks like he's crouching down at a laptop for a bit, meanwhile this non-clear cut push is playing over and over on the big screen. He runs back on the pitch then announces a pen, all the Beijing players pointing to the big screen going "It's not like!". Suffice to say, it was shit.

Sounds like it very badly arranged, if it's organised correctly I can't see it being an issue.

Guest neesy111

First thing would be not to put it up on the big screen.  I'd imagine we can make some kind of wrist attachment for the ref to see it without having to leave the pitch too.

Google Glass has been proposed for it.

Lee Clark leaving Kilmarnock for Bury today. Wonder where that leaves the 3 lads on loan from here, particularly Woodman as their number 1 McDonald is very popular there, highly rated and seemingly was just dropped due to a falling out with Clark. Would be a shame if Woodman dropped to the bench, and utterly pointless. May as well be back here.

Guest neesy111

Good riddance to the wanker.  I know someone who was involved with the business that got clattenburg sacked for 6 months from the PL, not got nice things to say about him.

Good riddance to the w*****.  I know someone who was involved with the business that got clattenburg sacked for 6 months from the PL, not got nice things to say about him.

Spill the beans then?

I still think he's the best ref in the PL though it's obviously subjective such is the job.