Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Haris Vuckic just 2 years off being eligible for a testimonial.

you fucking what? hes still here?  where is he? how many times has he played?

Scored the other night for the reserves, just back from loan at Bradford. Not many.

Guest Howaythetoon

My brother-in-law is an Arsenal fan and used to pay almost 3K for his and his father's season tickets and while he loves Wenger, he wants him out and badly.

His reasoning is that traditionally Arsenal have always been one of the biggest clubs in England are have always competed for and won honours with Wenger being an integral part in keeping up that tradition. Up until the last few years, that is, pretty much since they moved to the Emirates.

My brother-in-law feels that its all about finishing in the top 4, playing nice enough football to get full houses or almost full houses and winning the odd cup while raking in fortunes from CL revenue and high ST prices etc. using the cost of the Emirates as an excuse when it comes to wages and transfer fees.

He cites that Arsenal have missed out on lots of top players over the years and have failed to keep their own top players because of this strict wages/transfer policy.

My brother-in-law wants his team to compete and to win the title which is what he has come to expect (not demand) from his club and I cannot argue with his opinions.

In comparison of course we would look at their banners and opinions and consider them daft given that we would kill for regular top 4 finishes, CL footy and exciting football. But that's because we have often been shit save a few seasons under KK and Sir Bobby.

They are right to expect better and should demand better. No one person is bigger than the club and Wenger with his stubbornness is now a thorn in the side so to speak and needs to go if Arsenal are to win major honours again. That said, they can't just replace him with say Eddie Howe, they need to go all out for whoever is the best they can get whoever that is.

Arsenal must be one of the most frustrating clubs to follow as you know exactly how their season will start and end every single season with no even a Cup win being sufficient enough.

Is Lahm injured or something? He's played quite a lot of games this season and looks just as good as he always has. I'm surprised by the announcement and heard Bayern are, too.

He's apparently just tired of football and having to train like fuck every day.

Is Lahm injured or something? He's played quite a lot of games this season and looks just as good as he always has. I'm surprised by the announcement and heard Bayern are, too.

He's said he doesn't feel like he'll be able to play to the same level next season and as captain he wants to retire.

My brother-in-law is an Arsenal fan and used to pay almost 3K for his and his father's season tickets and while he loves Wenger, he wants him out and badly.

His reasoning is that traditionally Arsenal have always been one of the biggest clubs in England are have always competed for and won honours with Wenger being an integral part in keeping up that tradition. Up until the last few years, that is, pretty much since they moved to the Emirates.

My brother-in-law feels that its all about finishing in the top 4, playing nice enough football to get full houses or almost full houses and winning the odd cup while raking in fortunes from CL revenue and high ST prices etc. using the cost of the Emirates as an excuse when it comes to wages and transfer fees.

He cites that Arsenal have missed out on lots of top players over the years and have failed to keep their own top players because of this strict wages/transfer policy.

My brother-in-law wants his team to compete and to win the title which is what he has come to expect (not demand) from his club and I cannot argue with his opinions.

Arsenal must be one of the most frustrating clubs to follow as you know exactly how their season will start and end every single season with no even a Cup win being sufficient enough.

Agree with everything except the bold. Arsenal are a distant 4th in terms of buying power in the PL. It would take a significant over performance to win the league title. IMO they should expect to challenge but win? Nah. I read that the team that won the double in '98 was the most expensive PL team at that point. I also read that the last team to win the league (this was a few years ago - pre Leicester mind) that wasn't 1 of the top 2 teams in terms of transfer fees was The Invincibles.

They should've won last year mind. But generally since City have come to prominence they haven't got close. Wenger hasn't found as much gold in the transfer market either. That Sagna, Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri & RVP generation if they could've stayed together could've won things.

Guest Howaythetoon

Arsenal can spend as much as anyone, on fees and wages, but refuse to. Wenger believes he can create a winning team via coaching and philosophy as much as through spending money.

Arsenal can spend as much as anyone, on fees and wages, but refuse to. Wenger believes he can create a winning team via coaching and philosophy as much as through spending money.

Arsenal spedn £25m p/a less on wages than Man Utd/Chelsea. That's a Kante, Costa & Hazard salaries away from competing.

Can they afford to spend that extra though, that was the point wasn't it ?

Arsenal spedn £25m p/a less on wages than Man Utd/Chelsea. That's a Kante, Costa & Hazard salaries away from competing.

Can they afford to spend that extra though, that was the point wasn't it ?

2014-15 Deloitte has:

Man U - Revenue 395M Wages 204M (52%)

Man C - 353M, 194M, 55%

Arsenal - 331M, 192M, 58%

Chelsea - 319M, 217M, 68%

Liverpool - 298M, 167M, 56%

Spurs - 196M, 107M, 55%

Their spending on wages as a percentage of revenue falls in line with most other top clubs - if anything, it's slightly more than their peers. Of course, you could always argue that they could spend more, but I don't think that's a fair stick to beat them with. Wenger has spent shit-loads of money on players, he just hasn't always made the right decisions.

Tottenham look a far more capable team as far as competing for the title. Not just this season, but even last season too.

They don't spend as much as Arsenal do on players or wages, and so there are clearly other issues at that club.

Rather than money spent, I just don't think they bring in the right types of players. They have been so fragile for so long now. Both mentally and physically.

Having a Dembele or Wnyama in their midfield, or a Vertonghen or Aldeweireld at the back would make them so much better. These were not players Spurs paid huge money for.

It's ridiculous how Marco Silva is seen as a surprise like (at least so far). He was a risk (and still is) but it was easy to check his record and see that he was extremely good everywhere he'd been (regardless of 2 of those clubs being 'easy jobs'). You'd think he was plucked straight out of the Paraguayan youth leagues.

Tottenham look a far more capable team as far as competing for the title. Not just this season, but even last season too.

They don't spend as much as Arsenal do on players or wages, and so there are clearly other issues at that club.

Rather than money spent, I just don't think they bring in the right types of players. They have been so fragile for so long now. Both mentally and physically.

Having a Dembele or Wnyama in their midfield, or a Vertonghen or Aldeweireld at the back would make them so much better. These were not players Spurs paid huge money for.

But Arsenal have finished above them every season for 20 years. Even last year. The gap between the clubs should be bigger on the pitch, which shows you Spurs are doing better with what they have. Finishing 3rd was an amazing achievement for Spurs, that's 3 places higher than their financial clout suggests.