Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Must be canny frustrating for Ronaldo like. All those wonderful accolades yet still outdone and outclassed by Messi in almost every department.

That’s nonsense, outclassed in every department? Ridiculous. The only thing Messi outclasses him is in terms of football flair and wizardry on the ball. Stats wise very similar, same with accolades and trophies. Only Ronaldo has won a major trophy with his country. I’m sure the debate about who was best will continue long after they have retired.

But Messi has more goals & more assists in club football as well as being comfortably the better footballer. Ronaldo has the international edge in terms of trophies and that's about it, which isn't really an individual accolade tbf. That's pretty comprehensive in favour of Messi in my view, although you're right in saying the debate will continue long after they both retire which is credit to the pair of them.

Trophies and stuff are irrelevant to me really

Stupid idiot. Trophies are not the be all and end all, but a player's ability to affect and win games is kinda relevant in proving his class.

I know in a way, but to me they’re a bonus rather than central to judging who is better at football. Trophies depend on so much beyond the player’s control.

Light years you say? [emoji38] Howay man! He’s better, but the margins aren’t massive.

Its a shame we can’t enjoy two great footballers without having to endlessly compare the two so we can have one victor and one loser.

In terms of dribbling and passing lightyears, yes

Guest Howaythetoon

Trophies and stuff are irrelevant to me really, all I think about is watching the player. Ronaldo is obviously great but he'll never be close to Messi in terms of the joy and awe of watching him play. The things he can do are just unbelievable.

I enjoy watching any great or even top footballer, but my personal preference would be Ronaldo. I like his style of play, his demeanour, his intensity and focus and I like how even if he is having a shit game and totally out of it, he can pop up with a winner. Of the two, I think if you put Ronaldo in any team regardless of league, in any set up and using any kind of tactics, he’d succeed. I’m not so sure about Messi in that regard. Obviously we will ever know because it looks like he’s going to retire a one club man. I’m not saying Messi couldn’t do it on a cold night in Stoke by the way. Our Ronaldo in the England team and he’d be top scorer and a match winner. Put him in our team and he’d score a lot of goals and be a match winner. I think because of his game and his attitude and focus, he doesn’t rely or need the rest to be like him or on his wavelength. Anyway, they are both great players, a joy to watch and players we will probably never see again, not in the same time-frame anyway. They both make the likes of Henry, Shearer, Baggio, Ronaldo the other one, Zidane, Ronaldinho et al look like mere mortals.

Guest Howaythetoon

Light years you say? [emoji38] Howay man! He’s better, but the margins aren’t massive.

Its a shame we can’t enjoy two great footballers without having to endlessly compare the two so we can have one victor and one loser.

In terms of dribbling and passing lightyears, yes

I wouldn’t say light years. Ronaldo can still dribble and get away from his man and his passing isn’t too shabby either. It’s important to consider that they are entirely different players playing different roles and have different games. Messi needs to dribble and play sublime passes to be effective, Ronaldo doesn’t. Just like Messi doesn’t need to play a high line, hug the touch line or need to strike from distance. You also have to consider the teams they play for, their style of play, the players in those teams etc.

IMO I believe if you swapped players and put Messi in Madrid and Ronaldo in Barcelona, they would both score, create, win games and be the best player, but they wouldn’t be half as good as they have been for their own clubs.

Guest Howaythetoon

Preferring to watch Ronaldo is an even worse opinion than thinking he's better

Probably in the same way I prefer watching Spurs over Man City.

Preferring to watch Ronaldo is an even worse opinion than thinking he's better

I guess better put - the things he does well I enjoy watching more. Towering headers, rifled shots, his actual gait and style of running when in full flight.

Messi's (obviously!) not unimpressive I just have a little less appreciation for the dribbling and flair.

Some will only appreciate Ronaldo when he’s retired.  No need to bring Messi up every single time we want to marvel at his achievements and ability. It’s like the tedium I find of debating Kane and Shearer. Kane’s the man, I don’t care about the rest. 

It might be weird but I really enjoy seeing an older player with diminishing powers continue to kill it. 

Some latter Big Al and Drogba days spring to mind and Ronny last year.  Fucked off Bayern, Atleti and Juve while he’s physically in decline ffs.  Being a declining force and scoring something like 8 goals from the CL QF’s onwards. 

Guest firetotheworks

Must be canny frustrating for Ronaldo like. All those wonderful accolades yet still outdone and outclassed by Messi in almost every department.

That’s nonsense, outclassed in every department? Ridiculous. The only thing Messi outclasses him is in terms of football flair and wizardry on the ball. Stats wise very similar, same with accolades and trophies. Only Ronaldo has won a major trophy with his country. I’m sure the debate about who was best will continue long after they have retired.

Ronaldo's better in the air, better at penalties, and has a similar goal scoring record, that's literally it.

The comparison isn't needed, what Ronaldo's done in his own right is astounding and comparing him or anyone in our lifetime with Messi isn't really fair because noone's anywhere near.

Guest firetotheworks

If I was going into a final tomorrow and had the choice I'd honestly pick Ronaldo over messi. I know I'm in the minority but I just would. To say he's nowhere near Messi level is crazy, what does he have to do ffs

Take on an entire team and score like a dozen different times? That would be a good start. The consistency of their insane goal scoring records are the only big reason they're still compared now imo, beyond that there's no comparison for me.

Some will only appreciate Ronaldo when he’s retired.  No need to bring Messi up every single time we want to marvel at his achievements and ability. It’s like the tedium I find of debating Kane and Shearer. Kane’s the man, I don’t care about the rest. 

Creepy fanboy insecurity to mention Messi whenever in earshot of Cronaldo being praised. They're going to be the old men in pubs in 2068 who interrupt strangers who are praising Shola Jnr Jnr as a decent emerging prospect, to tell them he's not a patch on Messi. :lol: :laugh:

Guest Howaythetoon

Ronaldo's better in the air, better at penalties, and has a similar goal scoring record, that's literally it.

The comparison isn't needed, what Ronaldo's done in his own right is astounding and comparing him or anyone in our lifetime with Messi isn't really fair because noone's anywhere near.

It’s not needed, but its a given, given they both play for arguably the two biggest clubs in the world, are the best players in the world etc. I think Ronaldo is a lot closer than is given credit for. For all of the Messi is light years ahead and far superior stuff, why isn’t he actually in real terms light years ahead and far superior? IMO it’s because Ronaldo is actually very close to him. Aesthetically you’d choose Messi any day, better to watch, does more with the ball, has sublime skills, but you can not deny what Ronaldo brings to the table. People see him as a machine, but watch him, he’s intelligent on and off the ball and is almost complete, he won’t dance his way past five players and dink it over the ‘keeper, but he DOESN'T need to and that’s why he is so great and in the same league as Messi. Again both diffrent players with different roles in different teams of style, tactics etc. But both are truly two of the best players of all-time if not the best. Messi edges it for me, but not light years ahead or in a superior way. People forget how well Ronaldo played for Man Utd before he left as well. He’d beat 5 players and dink the ‘keeper and then sum. Compared to what he once was when he first arrived here, he has done amazingly well. Daft cunt though, had we bought him, he would have at least had a Championship medal to his name by now.

It might be weird but I really enjoy seeing an older player with diminishing powers continue to kill it. 

Some latter Big Al and Drogba days spring to mind and Ronny last year.  f***ed off Bayern, Atleti and Juve while he’s physically in decline ffs.  Being a declining force and scoring something like 8 goals from the CL QF’s onwards. 

I think a lot of casual fans simply don’t recognise what makes Ronaldo so good. His off the ball movement, anticipation/awareness and ability to create and find space in the box is the best I’ve ever seen from a forward. People actually use he scores so many ‘tap ins’ as a negative against him.

Guest Howaythetoon

What staggers me, is you look back on the last 20 years or so of great players the world over, and I’m talking great players, and these two are light years ahead. For me personally, and this is based on what I like to see in a player and how I enjoyed said player, Zidane is the best footballer I’ve seen. I regard Henry highly too. But they are not a patch on Ronaldo and Messi. Mind, not one of them could tie the shoe laces of Collins John or Deano Ashtonio.

Guest firetotheworks

Creepy fanboy insecurity to mention Messi whenever in earshot of Cronaldo being praised. They're going to be the old men in pubs in 2068 who interrupt strangers who are praising Shola Jnr Jnr as a decent emerging prospect, to tell them he's not a patch on Messi. [emoji38] [emoji23]

I think mikky just knew it would start it off and wanted to watch the world burn tbh.