Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Supposed to be Foden, Mount, Sancho and Brewster going to be the next big things ain't it?

Chelsea fans seem to think Mount & Callum Hudson-Odoi are going to be incredible.

I haven't seen either play but I hope they're right. My feeling is that every year or two there's 5/6 names banded about. Only 1/2 ever seem to truly step up. Turning young promise at U21 level seems to show very little correlation to becoming a top senior player.

Aye, that much is true; particularly for those who are more technical players rather than relying on their physical attributes.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't say this lightly either, but at times he reminds me of a young Iniesta.

Christ  :lol:

Just to clarify, by young Iniesta I mean he looks like Iniesta when he was young, not a young version of peak Iniesta. :lol:

Supposed to be Foden, Mount, Sancho and Brewster going to be the next big things ain't it?

Chelsea fans seem to think Mount & Callum Hudson-Odoi are going to be incredible.

I haven't seen either play but I hope they're right. My feeling is that every year or two there's 5/6 names banded about. Only 1/2 ever seem to truly step up. Turning young promise at U21 level seems to show very little correlation to becoming a top senior player.

Foden, Brewster and Sancho are all in good setups to progress. Sancho is already getting games at Dortmund and Pep/Klopp both seem willing to bring up talented youngsters. Not much faith in Chelsea bringing through youngsters from the academy though

Think it’s been a while since England had this many good young players. Alexander-Arnold still very young, IMO could be as good as Alves .Shaw can still be world class if he can get his act together. Loft us-cheek can still improve significantly despite already being brilliant. Think there’s a good few more but can’t quite think of them all.

Foden, Brewster and Sancho are all in good setups to progress. Sancho is already getting games at Dortmund and Pep/Klopp both seem willing to bring up talented youngsters. Not much faith in Chelsea bringing through youngsters from the academy though

True regarding those three. Be interesting to see if those two managers still fancy them if the going gets tough next season, or if they were being played because they were cruising for a large portion of the season.

Think it’s been a while since England had this many good young players.

Might be right, but this gets said literally every year.

Guest Howaythetoon

What I like about the current crop of young talent coming through is that no-one is a star name or damaged goods if you like, all seemingly going about their development with not much hype or clamour for them to get a move to whoever or a cap. I like how the current national side in Russia is made up of players that were not household names and many still aren’t, only Kane can be considered truly world-class. Most have went out on loan or started from lower down and come through the ranks if you like as well., the manager included. I think England have a bright future, but it’s always been our problem creating players of genuine genius on the ball, in midfield anyway. The last gifted playmaker we had was Gazza.

Guest firetotheworks

True regarding those three. Be interesting to see if those two managers still fancy them if the going gets tough next season, or if they were being played because they were cruising for a large portion of the season.

I can't say I've noticed it being said every year mind. The last time I even heard any hype at all about players coming through it was solely Ravel Morrison and he was nothing compared to what I've just watched of Foden, like. Like I said before, I don't think Rooney looked as good at 18 either.

I think it does like, not saying it's wrong, but just that there's a yearly anticipation, expectation & excitement for the youngsters. In recent times you have Hughes, Ward-Prowse, Shaw, McEachran, Armstrong, Redmond, Swift, Oxford, Chalobah (some of which are of course very much still developing). I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that I think we always get the impression that England have a good set of youngsters each year due to relative success at their level and the factor of unknown quantity.

Guest firetotheworks

I can't say I've noticed it being said every year mind. The last time I even heard any hype at all about players coming through it was solely Ravel Morrison and he was nothing compared to what I've just watched of Foden, like. Like I said before, I don't think Rooney looked as good at 18 either.

Morrison was/is insanely talented, just surrounded himself with the wrong people. I think people underestimate the affect of someone's socioeconomic background can have. Spoke to a dude who coached him at Man United and said he was incredible, but they couldn't get through to him. Real shame.

Aye, if you watch the Copa 90 with Rio Ferdinand, him and Poet talk about Ravel Morrison and Nile Ranger in detail, it's canny interesting.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it does like, not saying it's wrong, but just that there's a yearly anticipation, expectation & excitement for the youngsters. In recent times you have Hughes, Ward-Prowse, Shaw, McEachran, Armstrong, Redmond, Swift, Oxford, Chalobah (some of which are of course very much still developing). I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that I think we always get the impression that England have a good set of youngsters each year due to relative success at their level and the factor of unknown quantity.

Ah okay, I get you. I didn't see the hype around any of those players the way there's hype around Foden, but it might just be me.

Who is Foden playing against in these clips? Rooney had played nearly 70 times for the Everton first team and been bought by Man Utd when he was 18. Foden has played like 5 senior games for Man City

Ah okay, I get you. I didn't see the hype around any of those players the way there's hype around Foden, but it might just be me.

Fair man, it might just be me equally. I remember being excited hearing about Josh McEachran thinking we (England) had a superstar coming through. Same with Will Hughes a few years ago he was made out to be incredible. Foden getting a few games for City under one of the best managers in our lifetime has to count for something though.

Guest firetotheworks

Who is Foden playing against in these clips? Rooney had played nearly 70 times for the Everton first team and been bought by Man Utd when he was 18. Foden has played like 5 senior games for Man City

I'm just going on what I'm seeing and my gut instinct, not on their achievements. Rooney had obviously achieved more by that age, but I think Foden looks better. Like I said earlier, I think if Foden wasn't at Man City he'd already be a starter and I think that if he wasn't at Man City already, the top teams would be sniffing around him regardless.

I'm just going on what I'm seeing and my gut instinct, not on their achievements. Rooney had obviously achieved more by that age, but I think Foden looks better. Like I said earlier, I think if Foden wasn't at Man City he'd already be a starter and I think that if he wasn't at Man City already, the top teams would be sniffing around him regardless.

Fair enough, just think it's a bit odd to judge Foden playing against kids and Rooney playing against adults at the same age

Reiss Nelson at Arsenal is another one that looks to be a cracking talent.

Sancho is the one though, City should have done everything to try and keep him and get him in the first team.

Bolton players have gone on strike!

Their match tomorrow against St. Mirren cancelled.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1422131-st-mirren-friendly-cancelled-as-bolton-players-strike/

Players have released a statement:

'"Due to circumstances beyond our control, we as a team have decided with deep regret we will not be playing tomorrow's game against St Mirren.

"We have been put in an impossible positon which has forced our decision, and we would like to explain our reasons why.

"Over the past two seasons we as a club have experienced unprecedented success in first achieving promotion to the Championship, then staying in the league last season.

"This was achieved despite extremely difficult circumstances. All players, current and past, who were contracted to the club have contributed to this success.

"Over the course of the two years on numerous occasions contracted players have not been paid on time. This has culminated in certain players not receiving their June wage.

"On each occasion this has happened we have received no notification or an explanation as to why. We feel this is totally unacceptable after a huge effort from everybody over the last two seasons.

"Regrettably, as a group, this has led to the decision. We unreservedly apologise to any supporters that have made plans to come and watch the game."'

Four weeks until the transfer window ends, there’s only been 39 transfers made. Last summer there were 141 in total.

Most clubs back in pre-season training now, hundreds of players will still be on holiday or playing at the World Cup. Makes even more of a mockery of this self inflicted transfer window we’ve given ourselves.