Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Agreed with everyone who has been mentioned.

I know you said no non-out and out attacking players, but Xavi and Iniesta can both count themselves extremely unlucky to have been in and around the Messi/Ronaldo era.

And also lucky at the same time.

Eh? These have won 2 Euros and a World Cup without him. And a CL iirc even if they weren't integral parts to that one.

Guest firetotheworks

I know you said no non-out and out attacking players, but Xavi and Iniesta can both count themselves extremely unlucky to have been in and around the Messi/Ronaldo era.

Eh? These have won 2 Euros and a World Cup without him. And a CL iirc even if they weren't integral parts to that one.

The question was specifically about players who've been unlucky to miss out on winning Ballon D'ors.

The question was specifically about players who've been unlucky to miss out on winning Ballon D'ors.

Ok... so leading your nation to 3 major tournament victories would likely grab one of them 1 Ballon D'or in a non Messi or Cronaldo era. Pretty sure the original Ronaldo and Cannavaro won it for their contributions to a WC win largely.

Who's the best attacking player (because there's obviously loads and loads of defensive and midfield options) never to win a ballon d'or or equivalent?

Henry probably deserved one at some point. Plenty who can count themselves unlucky to be around at the same point as Messi/Ronaldo.

Baggio, Dalglish, Suarez, Henry, Shearer, Drogba, Batigol.

Who's the best attacking player (because there's obviously loads and loads of defensive and midfield options) never to win a ballon d'or or equivalent?

Henry probably deserved one at some point. Plenty who can count themselves unlucky to be around at the same point as Messi/Ronaldo.

Baggio won it in 1993 for what it's worth

Guest firetotheworks

Ok... so leading your nation to 3 major tournament victories would likely grab one of them 1 Ballon D'or in a non Messi or Cronaldo era. Pretty sure the original Ronaldo and Cannavaro won it for their contributions to a WC win largely.

You're agreeing with the point that was made, so yes.

Love Drogba man, apart from where he ruined us every time he played us.

Had no idea this was a rule:

http://www.givemesport.com/995042-why-ivan-perisic-was-booked-for-heading-ball-back-to-his-goalkeeper-v-as-roma

I remember Steven Taylor going on the floor to head it back to the keeper a few years back and didn't get penalised for dangerous play even though he probably should have because he went on the floor, but didn't know you weren't allowed to use 'trickery'.

Had no idea this was a rule:

http://www.givemesport.com/995042-why-ivan-perisic-was-booked-for-heading-ball-back-to-his-goalkeeper-v-as-roma

I remember Steven Taylor going on the floor to head it back to the keeper a few years back and didn't get penalised for dangerous play even though he probably should have because he went on the floor, but didn't know you weren't allowed to use 'trickery'.

I thought this one was common knowledge? He's essentially just passed it back to his keeper as he was in control of the ball.