Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Am I making it up or did Sir John Hall call Andy Cole ‘Blackie Milburn’. I really hope I’m not making it up because that means I’ve imagined it and that’d be horrible.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/greatest-individual-seasons-andy-cole-brings-goals-newcastle-199394

"But aside from the fact that he wasn’t a centre-forward in the traditional St James’ Park mould – although he did have a sinewy strength that belied his slight frame – there was another notable difference between Cole and previous Gallowgate End legends. “If you'd said 10 years ago that the hero of the Toon Army would be a black lad, you would probably have got some pretty strange looks,” explained Newcastle fanzine The Mag, perhaps recalling another striker, Tony Cunningham, who was cruelly nicknamed ‘Blackie Milburn’ less than a decade earlier."

“MUCH-TRAVELLED striker Tony Cunningham had a “Where are they now” piece – he’s now a solicitor in Lincoln – in last weekend’s Sunday Times.

Particularly he recalled his time with Newcastle United under Jack Charlton, a manager infamous for never remembering players’ name. Usually they were either Big Lad or Little Lad.

Cunningham was different.

“He called me Blackie Milburn, but meant no offence by it,” he says.”

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/columnists/backtrack/backtrack/8824567.tributes-bill-shankly-annfield/?action=complain&cid=9116231

I remember SJH saying something along the lines of how when Ferdinand came to his house he was standing in front of something black and he couldn't see him. Proper standard stereotypical casual racism from that generation. 

Guest HTT II

Darkie originated from workers going down the mines and coming out, well, dark. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II

John Barnes is on record saying racism towards him wasn’t half as bad as it was towards any foreign player black or white and homophobia was even worse. I’m an 80s child and love the music from that era and had a good time growing up in general, but it was a grim time even for the whiteies, the working class that is. I imagine it was fucking awful for those non white, in football or general society.

Guest HTT II

Yous all need to read up on Walter Tull, I’m sure the BBC did a canny documentary and a kind of series on his life and times. Great story and what a legend and hero.

17 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Always liked Tony Cunningham. Can't remember why but I took an instant shine to him. Don't remember him pulling up any trees. I think I just liked the fact that it was a big fuck off to the NF lot.

And he put a shift in. When your team isn't good you can at least appreciate effort.

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

Always liked Tony Cunningham. Can't remember why but I took an instant shine to him. Don't remember him pulling up any trees. I think I just liked the fact that it was a big fuck off to the NF lot.

TC was a grafter. :thup:

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It shouldn’t even be an issue, but hopefully it normalises players being gay which is normal in itself. Good on him!

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I remember SJH saying something along the lines of how when Ferdinand came to his house he was standing in front of something black and he couldn't see him. Proper standard stereotypical casual racism from that generation. 

Was his AGA oven wasn't it?

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Was his AGA oven wasn't it?

He made that joke on talksport.

Guest HTT II

SJH wasn’t/isn’t a racist btw, but that was crass of him! Wor Blackie seemed so Geordie at the time and I’m in no doubt back then it was done in jest, but today it doesn’t sit right and never will or should. I go back to John Barnes, he has some great takes on the whole subject. I know I have said probably a million times on here my boy plays football, but if I could compare him to anyone it would be him and I loved the fact he played for us!

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Am I making it up or did someone call Andy Cole ‘Blackie Milburn’. I really hope I’m not making it up because that means I’ve imagined it and that’d be horrible.

The Sun or possibly the News of the World came out with "They call him Wor Blackie" and just like when they said of Ginola "The man the Geordies call Frog on the Tyne" it wasn't anything I'd heard any Newcastle fan say and seemed to be just some "clever" thing london journalists had made up and put in our mouths.

Reminds me of another jounro  "Wouldn't it be so funny if" presented as reality, with stories claiming whever Emma Watson answered a question in class other students wou;d shout out "Ten points to Gryffindor" to hysterical laughter, which unsurprisingly turned out to be entirely invented.  Or the wresting where Michael Cole does this painfully contrived  "The WWE Universe is calling him..." (insert nickname Vince McMahon came up with, copyrighted last week and wants the fans to call this guy.)

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Didn’t realise he was only 17 when I was reading that article - was expecting him to be in his mid twenties for some reason.

Good on him. Hope others feel that they’re able to come out too.

It’s sad as fuck people have to come out as gay or whatever, who cares, I do get it though and if it helps turn a negative into a positive it’s all good. What a brave lad it has to be said. More power to him and gay rights/causes!

Shouldn’t have to take serious balls to come out publicly as a footballer but massive credit to the lad. Getting it out there early means he doesn’t have to have it niggling away in the back of his mind and he can live his life and enjoy his football more. Hope it paves the way for more players to be able to be open even though they shouldn’t have to declare it 

14 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Shouldn’t have to take serious balls to come out publicly as a footballer but massive credit to the lad. Getting it out there early means he doesn’t have to have it niggling away in the back of his mind and he can live his life and enjoy his football more. Hope it paves the way for more players to be able to be open even though they shouldn’t have to declare it 

Guest HTT II

Was wearing my (snide DHGate) Toon top yesterday while out in Portugal on holiday and some lass pulled me, it was only the daughter of Ivor Broadis, who she told me missed out on an FA Cup Final and win due to a fallout with Seymour (basically our board) I think she said, he got a medal for scoring a double for England, the first ever in a full international at a World Cup. She wore it around her neck. I spent all day around them and she regaled me with all kind of tales about her old man who only passed away recently well into his nineties. He is from London, but she was born in Newcastle, he played for the mackems and Man City. 

As much as I’m glad the rainbow laces campaign exists and support it I don’t think Gueye should be put in a position where he has to chose between wearing the shirt and playing. If he chooses not to show support for the campaign that’s up to him. He may have religious beliefs against it. Ofcourse his religion doesn’t   Mean his beliefs on gay people are correct but he should have the choice to make that decision.

Also good  on the young lad for having the balls to be one of the first to come out as gay. Hopefully i the next few this will all be a bit meh, and not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Didn’t realise he was only 17 when I was reading that article - was expecting him to be in his mid twenties for some reason.

Good on him. Hope others feel that they’re able to come out too.

absolute legend. He goes down in history by default, but at 17, with his entire career ahead of him. Incredible, not that it should be, still incredible though.