Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Where would you say we need signings after today?

If we are set on playing 433 most of the season then RCM and RW for the starting XI. Same as its been most of the Summer.

Just now, Dokko said:

Ironically, off the bench. Just not enough squad depth to make a difference.

I disagree. Get RW and CAM. That puts Almiron and Willock on the bench. Gives the bench an immediate upgrade in terms of bringing players on the change the game whilst (hopefully) improving our starting 11 massively.

Was a difficult match, it lost all its pace after 60 mins. Was in the south stand so couldn’t see a lot of the action at the other end and couldn’t make out why our goal was disallowed. What was the consensus? I felt Bruno had his poorest game for us, Joelinton was quality. Our back four were mostly decent, especially Burn and Botman. Almiron made some good runs but couldn’t come up with anything from them. Wilson battled well but couldn’t get any space and Maxi was off the pace and lost almost every 50-50 he had today. A point was good for us although Brighton shaded the game for sure 

First half was very even. Second half they pushed a little higher and pressed and played really well in the middle, they were helped by their 343 formation which allowed them to press higher.

We had no impact subs and it showed. We could only hang on for the point.

Maxi was awful today, back to his frustrating self.

Calum seemed to struggle and was isolated too much, he put up a good fight though!

Miggy was great in first half and lost it in second. Far too weak when on any 50/50 challenge.

Trippier just does not seem at 100% yet, his defending was woeful today.

Botman was hesitant but solid, too early to judge.

Burn and Schar very good, another 8/10 from each.

our midfield three tried hard but were outnumbered and outplayed for the majority of the match. Bruno getting caught with the ball too often.

VERY GOOD AWAY POINT!!!

25 minutes ago, gbandit said:

That line about Pope was class, did he honestly have no idea about the Twitter nonsense yesterday? Sounds like he didn’t 

Sounds like he doesn’t understand Twitter [emoji38]

Kinda feel like there are 4/5 away games you expect to get beat in and 4/5 you would expect to win if challenging for Europe. The remaining 10 or so can go either way.

Brighton on paper is one of the harder of these 10 and a point is a point gained rather than 2 lost.

looking for a performance rather than the result next weekend, then one or 2 additions to make it a solid and decent start to the season

2 hours ago, Novocastrian said:

A touch of hyperbole? I’ve not seen anyone say we should be challenging for top 4. We should, in my opinion, be challenging for the peripheral European places. We need to make improvements in the final third to make that happen and we’ve now played two games without any attacking reinforcements.

We finished mid-table last season and as such could reasonably be considered to be a year ahead of schedule now. 

Top 7/8 is ambitious but absolutely within the scope of this team as long as we can bring in a couple of quality additions. To not try and achieve that would be a dereliction of duty for me, considering the ownership group have ambitions to be an elite club.

since being promoted alongside ourselves, Brighton have been actively improving, whilst we sat in a pool of stagnant kebab grease for 2.5 years. Have Brighton qualified for europe, yet?

I really don't like Brighton. Should be stinking it up in the Champo given their history.

#caveat: I'm jealous of the improvements they've made as a club in recent years. They've come on leaps and bounds. Incredible really.

Edited by toon25

If you are in here saying "played bad", "bad performance", you want to go and look at our performances from a year ago.

It says everything about Eddie Howe and the new Newcastle, that during our "bad performance" we were fairly level on possession, kept a clean sheet and came away from a point.

Plenty to work on but all in all a fairly decent day at the office.

Also Botman played and was virtually flawless. What a future he has.