Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

Subs were a massive difference especially given the conditions. All we can expect from our subs is to help hang on to a lead or to possibly stifle the opponents. We have zero ability to change the match from the bench. 

Brighton, meanwhile, brought on impactful subs with fresh legs and it gave them a huge lift. 

We can finish 8-10 with the squad we have but nothing more. We could threaten 6-7 with a couple of big signings. Let's see what the owners want to do.

Seen someone on athletic full of rage saying club needs to spend to avoid midtable mediocrity as if just being safe midtable isn't the goal anyway lol. I agree we need a little more but raging as if the board are expecting us to be competing for top 4 already

I think the result itself is fine. Brighton is in-form and it’s an away game. Some players should play better like Bruno and ASM while Pope and Burn (may as well the whole defense line) deserved huge credit today.

Decent result, poor performance. We looked a yard off pretty much all over the park. Hard to gauge anything from that really because Brighton are often absolutely brilliant at home.

Didn’t really tell us anything we didn’t already know. We have to get a couple of attackers in or we’re going to find it hard.

Good point against a side who turned over Man Utd away last week. Personally think we’re three players away from being able to really compete - RW, CF and CDM. Gutted Kalvin Phillips has decided to waste the next four years at City on benchlife as he’d have been ideal.

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

Seen someone on athletic full of rage saying club needs to spend to avoid midtable mediocrity as if just being safe midtable isn't the goal anyway lol. I agree we need a little more but raging as if the board are expecting us to be competing for top 4 already

A touch of hyperbole? I’ve not seen anyone say we should be challenging for top 4. We should, in my opinion, be challenging for the peripheral European places. We need to make improvements in the final third to make that happen and we’ve now played two games without any attacking reinforcements.

We finished mid-table last season and as such could reasonably be considered to be a year ahead of schedule now. 

Top 7/8 is ambitious but absolutely within the scope of this team as long as we can bring in a couple of quality additions. To not try and achieve that would be a dereliction of duty for me, considering the ownership group have ambitions to be an elite club.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Surprised at how many empty seats in the Brighton end. Isn't this the best it's ever been for their fans

Rail strike today and the ground is in the middle of nowhere, only really accessible by car or train.

Poor performance, good point is about all you can say about that.

Hopefully another reminder for the likes of Ashton that we need better players up top.

On the plus side, we do have some very good defenders and keeper options. Botman looks like an absolute beast.

1 minute ago, Novocastrian said:

A touch of hyperbole? I’ve not seen anyone say we should be challenging for top 4. We should, in my opinion, be challenging for the peripheral European places. We need to make improvements in the final third to make that happen and we’ve now played two games without any attacking reinforcements.

We finished mid-table last season and as such could reasonably be considered to be a year ahead of schedule now. 

Top 7/8 is ambitious but absolutely within the scope of this team as long as we can bring in a couple of quality additions. To not try and achieve that would be a dereliction of duty for me, considering the ownership group have ambitions to be an elite club.

I hope so too but that is oh if everything goes well and that is fine, I am more critical with someone getting furious at the board for one poor performance that resulted in a decent away point

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I hope so too but that is oh if everything goes well and that is fine, I am more critical with someone getting furious at the board for one poor performance that resulted in a decent away point

It’s a decent point for sure. Brighton showed last week they are a good team. There’s still time, I just hope we can bring in a couple of attackers to mix it up.

I think poor performance is a bit harsh. Sub par, yes.

In the first half we matched them, in the second we faded.

In terms of confidence, we couldn't have faced Brighton at a worse time, after beating Man Utd. Taking that into account, going there and getting a respectable shut out us a great result.

Need a tactical miracle against City next week.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I think poor performance is a bit harsh. Sub par, yes.

In the first half we matched them, in the second we faded.

In terms of confidence, we couldn't have faced Brighton at a worse time, after beating Man Utd. Taking that into account, going there and getting a respectable shut out us a great result.

Need a tactical miracle against City next week.

Brighton will outplay a lot of top half teams, they just have no end product. Not many teams pass the ball better than they do.

Just now, Mike said:

Where would you say we need signings after today?

It's still CF and W. We didn't learn anything today other than that Maxi might be further away from clicking than we thought, amplifying even more the need for a quality winger.