Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

I long for the day I can make a Canada thread in the football section. All this American Exceptionalism is getting on my tits. FREE NAFTA.

[emoji38] Go back to page one. This shit didn't go over well at all. It was like RTG.

I'm a mix of English and Spanish but live in Canada and I am a citizen so frankly I'm embarrassed by the national team's lack of success in qualifying for any World Cups during my time here, shocking really , in theory Mexico, the US and Canada should be making the finals every time considering the populations, facilities and competition. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I first came to Canada by how great the facilities are here, in Calgary we have multiple youth teams kids can join, there are a number of full size pitches with goalposts in every community (hell when I grew up in Newcastle the only time I ever got to play with real goalposts was when I turned out for the school team). I've got my kids into excellent "soccer" (still hate that term) programs, and when they reach adulthood there is a well organised league association I used to play in when I first got here. The parents are also trying to push their kids more towards "soccer" than Ice Hockey (which is hugely expensive) and Canadian/American Football which is too violent for a lot of them. There is also an infinite amount football shown live on TV here. It's strange how all this has still resulted in a frankly pathetic men's national team.

Shame about the US not qualifying tbh, much prefer them to have made it than Argentina (i know it wasn't a straight fight between the two). But nice to see the smaller nations like Panama have their time in the light, hopefully they can spring a surprise or two at the finals (as long as it's not at England's expense, we've had enough embarrassing moments over the last few years).

I'm a mix of English and Spanish but live in Canada and I am a citizen so frankly I'm embarrassed by the national team's lack of success in qualifying for any World Cups during my time here, shocking really , in theory Mexico, the US and Canada should be making the finals every time considering the populations, facilities and competition. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I first came to Canada by how great the facilities are here, in Calgary we have multiple youth teams kids can join, there are a number of full size pitches with goalposts in every community (hell when I grew up in Newcastle the only time I ever got to play with real goalposts was when I turned out for the school team). I've got my kids into excellent "soccer" (still hate that term) programs, and when they reach adulthood there is a well organised league association I used to play in when I first got here. The parents are also trying to push their kids more towards "soccer" than Ice Hockey (which is hugely expensive) and Canadian/American Football which is too violent for a lot of them. There is also an infinite amount football shown live on TV here. It's strange how all this has still resulted in a frankly pathetic men's national team.

Shame about the US not qualifying tbh, much prefer them to have made it than Argentina (i know it wasn't a straight fight between the two). But nice to see the smaller nations like Panama have their time in the light, hopefully they can spring a surprise or two at the finals (as long as it's not at England's expense, we've had enough embarrassing moments over the last few years).

Yep, spot on. Everything is in place for footie to really take off here, not least the passion from (largely recent migrants or their kids) for local teams like TFC, Montreal and the history of Whitecaps. What is lacking is an overall passion for the game across the nation. Hockey is still king, then baseball/basketball. We're far too influenced (as expected due to proximity) by American sports. But even they have a decent national footie team. It's more to do with the acceptance of footie as a "real" sport for locals here. Most people only tune in during the World Cup and even then when their European-blooded friends begin cheering for Spain, Portugal, etc. And then everyone forgets about it.

I long for the day I can make a Canada thread in the football section. All this American Exceptionalism is getting on my tits. FREE NAFTA.

[emoji38] Go back to page one. This shit didn't go over well at all. It was like RTG.

:lol: I just scrolled through. You didn't get enough abuse, in my opinion. Plenty more should've been lobbied, you escaped pretty unscathed in hindsight.

I certainly hope Harry Kane doesn't fall down the goddamn stairs.

You can't mock us better than we mock ourselves tbh. :lol:

:lol: I'm sure you guys won't suddenly be superfans if England do well at the WC.

:lol: No doubt, we'll be fans but we'll still know we're s***, we're Newcastle fans remember.

It's more that no one's interested until there's a tournament tbh. Our qualifiers have felt pointless for a while, not because we're good but because despite being bad we're always in easy qualifying groups, it's really really boring and the matches feel like they constantly get in the way of watching Newcastle.

:lol: Well we're dicks and we adore our bag of s*** national team. This s*** sucks. So f*** y'all for enjoying it.

Gonna support the f*** out of Germany. I already know I'm gonna lean on the Hitler angle too. It's gonna be inappropriate as f***.

I'm honestly ambivalent tbh. It's mildly amusing, but it's not as good as it would have been if Ireland or Brazil didn't qualify in terms of what the reaction on here would have been like.

I don't think anyone really cares enough to properly mock you on it. Either because everyone knows England are s*** as well, or just because no one cares about you and your daft little excuse for a football team.

;)

I'd leave this forum forever.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd probably piss myself if Pardew became the U.S manager like. :lol: Not because I'm shan or owt, but it would be worth it just for Mike's reaction alone.