Alexander Isak

Disco

8 hours ago, La Parka said:

He's not a "striker". He needs a body to do the shit jobs up top so he can attack from wide and deep. 

Um, he is definitely a striker, albeit one that needs players around him that can make the right decisions with the ball and pass it accurately, so it can go into his feet in the right areas.

31 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah he was totally isolated 

Think Wilson has had the same problem recently as well. I'd like to see them both playing together when fit. Thought they looked a right handful v Fulham when they were on the pitch at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Think Wilson has had the same problem recently as well. I'd like to see them both playing together when fit. Thought they looked a right handful v Fulham when they were on the pitch at the same time.

Yeah Howe is going to have to try something different to address these draws. 

3 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I’m not concerned but it’s undeniable that he had a shitter yesterday. Hopefully a one-off as you suggest, but if Wilson is fit next week he starts for me.

Wilson has had a number of games where he has been really ineffective as well, and you just don't see much of him during the match, as it's not his game to look to get as involved in general play. 

The real issue with the team at the minute is getting the right mix of players in the wide areas and the number 8 positions to improve our support play for either striker. Yesterday's mix of ASM, Willock, Longstaff and Almiron should never feature together again in my opinion, they were a bumbling mess. That foursome has to have both Gordon and Joelinton in there with Bruno out.

1 minute ago, TotalWar said:

Isak wasnt nearly as bad as people are making out on here. I would ask, when was the last time one of our centre forwards was deemed to have played well? Seems like Wilson, and now Isak has been coming in for criticism since the world cup restart for being off the pace, not involved etc. Maybe part of it is that we arent functioning in a way to get the best out of our centre forward.

Absolutely this, there's no service at the moment bar floated crosses into the box, with teams sitting back we just play around their box knocking easy 5 yard passes, scared to give it away and hoping for something to materialise. 

Just now, Mattoon said:

Absolutely this, there's no service at the moment bar floated crosses into the box, with teams sitting back we just play around their box knocking easy 5 yard passes, scared to give it away and hoping for something to materialise. 

The way we move the ball around the box when a defence is set in place against us is incredibly frustrating. Too many touches, very slow ball movement and predictable passes. Almiron does my head in the most in those situations, as he just keeps checking back all the time.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Wilson has had a number of games where he has been really ineffective as well, and you just don't see much of him during the match, as it's not his game to look to get as involved in general play. 

The real issue with the team at the minute is getting the right mix of players in the wide areas and the number 8 positions to improve our support play for either striker. Yesterday's mix of ASM, Willock, Longstaff and Almiron should never feature together again in my opinion, they were a bumbling mess. That foursome has to have both Gordon and Joelinton in there with Bruno out.

I agree. This is a really difficult moment for Howe I think, because he’s having to change system on the fly. I reckon we might see Wilson up top, Isak behind as 10, Miggy right and Gordon left. However, it means sacrificing some defensive solidity which has been the bedrock of our season. It really makes you appreciate Bruno, because without him our midfield looks very league average.

I thought he has a good game. It's a thankless task playing up front alone. Wilson has struggled too.

Get both on the pitch, provided Eddie can make it work in terms of defensive responsibilities.

5 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Completely agree with this - every lofted ball is a wasted ball as nobody can head it.

5 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I agree. This is a really difficult moment for Howe I think, because he’s having to change system on the fly. I reckon we might see Wilson up top, Isak behind as 10, Miggy right and Gordon left. However, it means sacrificing some defensive solidity which has been the bedrock of our season. It really makes you appreciate Bruno, because without him our midfield looks very league average.

Yeah, I think yesterday Howe dropping Joelinton deep was the right decision as Bournemouth had that new signing Junior Traore in the number 10 position and he is a tricky customer and is quick and athletic, he would have ruined Longstaff if he had played deeper. So that decision I could completely understand.

I think the other key decision was then on the left with whether to start Gordon or ASM. Howe chose to show faith in ASM and try to get him going, which again, I can't really fault as he's waited for his chance, and you'd really be looking for him to be able to exploit a team like Bournemouth who are struggling, but he let the manager down for the most part, as he just didn't do enough at all.

I agree that for the remaining game with Bruno out, we're probably best playing Wilson with Isak as a support striker in and around him. I actually don't think we'll see that much of a drop off defensively as both Wilson and Isak press and harry the opposition well, and are disciplined defensively.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Tickled at his recent Insta post, its down the Powerleague in Dunston. :lol: Plenty of unfit morons such as I have graced that astro.

Obviously looking to get a game for the Blues v Reds ?

12 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Tickled at his recent Insta post, its down the Powerleague in Dunston. :lol: Plenty of unfit morons such as I have graced that astro.

My son heard he was there, raced down with his mate but Isak was in the car leaving. My son waved at him, he pulled over and took a pic with both him and his mate! Top stuff.

I've read an article on him in World Soccer. It came across that he's a quiet, reserved character and it can take some time before he feels able to impose himself. He ended up sinking at Dortmund before flourishing at Willem II and Sociedad.

His talent on the ball is obvious, and I think we need to be patient and persist with him. Playing him with Gordon as a number 10 might open up the space and time that he needs.

He was hardly going to have a good game, when the team as a whole were pretty shite. Overall, I still saw signs of him being a dangerous player.

He's quick, got skill, knows where the net is. What's not to like?

On the hand he's young, likely to be inconsistent and will take time to find where he fits our set up.

Without 3 central players, I'd like to see him into the number 10 and start behind Wilson.

Just now, STM said:

He was hardly going to have a good game, when the team as a whole were pretty shite. Overall, I still saw signs of him being a dangerous player.

He's quick, got skill, knows where the net is. What's not to like?

On the hand he's young, likely to be inconsistent and will take time to find where he fits our set up.

Without 3 central players, I'd like to see him into the number 10 and start behind Wilson.

Just came in to say the same thing. It's like the criticism of Haaland, you have to look at what sort of players they are, then work out if we are doing enough to get them in on goal. If they are not doing the business then, fair enough we can call them poor. If you want a big target man, buy Wout Weghorst. Our football's understandably dropped off a bit since losing Bruno, not to mention having a smaller squad means there is probably some tired legs out there.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I reckon he sticks with 4-3-3 to have equal numbers in midfield with Liverpool

Wonder if he'll look to bypass the midfield, as on the evidence so far, we lack everything without Bruno.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Wonder if he'll look to bypass the midfield, as on the evidence so far, we lack everything without Bruno.

Nah we do  it lack everything. West Ham had 1 shot on target, from a set piece. Bournemouth barely threatened and couldn’t get through our midfield. Defensively the midfield works. It also gives a platform for us to get up for the final third of the pitch (which was lacking last year and was why Howe wanted and used Wood). 

I agree our current midfield lacks creativity in the final third. The whole team does though. Both the system and the individuals not quite right in that third

10 minutes ago, greydos said:

Nah we do  it lack everything. West Ham had 1 shot on target, from a set piece. Bournemouth barely threatened and couldn’t get through our midfield. Defensively the midfield works. It also gives a platform for us to get up for the final third of the pitch (which was lacking last year and was why Howe wanted and used Wood). 

I agree our current midfield lacks creativity in the final third. The whole team does though. Both the system and the individuals not quite right in that third

Yeah, but it was Bournemouth....

And they had plenty of the ball in the right areas tbh. They just couldn't do much with it. That's why they are where they are.