Alexander Isak

Disco

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Genuinely think he's not going anywhere for less than £130M. But also I don't think he's going anywhere this summer anyway. 

I honestly think 130m-ish is around his 'market value'.  But I also think we'd want well above 'market value' to sell.  And no-one has that ...

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I honestly think 130m-ish is around his 'market value'.  But I also think we'd want well above 'market value' to sell.  And no-one has that ...

And we’re not looking to sell. Is this real life? :lol:

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No one has that right now. It only takes a crazy Salah move to Saudi, PSG paying something stupid for G Jesus and suddenly come July a few clubs might have the ability.

I don't think it will happen because that would literally be any PL clubs entire spend for the season (incl January) but it's not impossible if those clubs sell players.

Posted (edited)

Not even remotely concerned about him leaving , nobody can afford him. Next summer will be the worry if he has another season like this one and we don't challenge for the top 4. Even then we would be looking at 150 million plus .

Edited by Geogaddi

Here's a hypothetical question - given all the comparisons to the 1994/95 season... Isak leaving would be like Cole leaving, shock, disbelief, heartbreak, tears, anger. 

Who would the "Ferdinand" replacement need to be for you to accept it? 

5 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Here's a hypothetical question - given all the comparisons to the 1994/95 season... Isak leaving would be like Cole leaving, shock, disbelief, heartbreak, tears, anger. 

Who would that be then?

7 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Mbappe and Haaland are the only better centre forwards on the planet for me at the moment in terms of knowing they've got years left in the tank

What came to mind for me - the only realistic one I could see us getting of that calibre would be Osimhen but even then it would be a big risk as he would cost almost the same.

But let's argue for example Kane was available for 70M, and we get 140M for Isak. (Ferdinand was also a lot older than Cole when we bought him) - you're guaranteeing goals in a way but missing the potential of what Isak could become. Would that be a move worth making? 

9 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

What came to mind for me - the only realistic one I could see us getting of that calibre would be Osimhen but even then it would be a big risk as he would cost almost the same.

But let's argue for example Kane was available for 70M, and we get 140M for Isak. (Ferdinand was also a lot older than Cole when we bought him) - you're guaranteeing goals in a way but missing the potential of what Isak could become. Would that be a move worth making? 

If we were a 'Man City' - possibly

As us - no chance.  I wouldn't swap Kane +70m for Isak at the moment

25 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Vlahovic

53 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Genuinely think he's not going anywhere for less than £130M. But also I don't think he's going anywhere this summer anyway. 

Aye. 20+ goals in the PL. 24 years old. Long contract. Passes the eye test.

It's £130m minimum. Probably should be £150m+.

I really don't think it's going to happen thankfully but just for the discussion. I really think we have found a unique talent and struck gold. Yes he was expensive when we signed him but he has already gone on to another level since. 

Plus I'm sure all Newcastle fans will agree that it feels like there is still alot more to come. How many games this year did he play looking not even half fit. How games did he miss entirely? 

He is a young dynamic technical player with a real intelligence to his game. 

Yes he has some weak areas like physicallity to play that number 9 role. But if you play to his strengths he's almost unstoppable. 

I can't think of any other strikers in world football that play through the middle that are at his level other than Haaland and Mbappe. How much would they go for? £200m+? You could argue that Isak is more valuable to us than Haaland to City because they have far more players to cope with his absence. Take Isak out of our team for next season and we would tumble down the table. 

2 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

No, because Kane's resale value is going to plummet year on year, to virtually nothing soon enough due to his age. Add in his wages and sign-on fee, and most if not all of the money we'd get for Isak would just evaporate. It would be crazy.

Buy young players whose value will increase. Not only are we not in a position to buy older players, we absolutely should NOT buy older players anyway who are at or past their peak. It rarely works well and is a very expensive thing to do.

I think we could challenge for third next season. Man C is obviously ahead by a way and Arsenal a little. Liverpool is in transition, Villa will have the CL and Spurs are who knows what. Chelsea is a wild card but they also seem to be in transition. I think him and Bruno both play nextyear for us and see what happens.

On 21/05/2024 at 10:38, TheBrownBottle said:

Mbappe and Haaland are the only better centre forwards on the planet for me at the moment in terms of knowing they've got years left in the tank

You clearly haven't focussed enough on Mateta's ability to hit the target.

Factor in some improvement with a full preseason under Glasner and rationally deduct 2 years from his age for the time spent under Roy and I confidently predict a 45 goal season and value of *reads up thread* 180 million this time next year and plenty of time to improve further :)

1 minute ago, Palace fan said:

You clearly haven't focussed enough on Mateta's ability to hit the target.

Factor in some improvement with a full preseason under Glasner and rationally deduct 2 years from his age for the time spent under Roy and I confidently predict a 45 goal season and value of *reads up thread* 180 million this time next year and plenty of time to improve further :)

I know you're saying that tongue in cheek, but do you get the feeling that Mateta is a one season wonder or something has just clicked and he's going to bang them in for a few years?

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

I know you're saying that tongue in cheek, but do you get the feeling that Mateta is a one season wonder or something has just clicked and he's going to bang them in for a few years?

Search me.  Didn't have a clue he had this in him and it surely can't be sustainable as that would make him a slightly better version of Drogba. His shooting accuracy stats though are kind of curious in that respect - can't all be confidence. 

Improvement partly down to the fact he's receiving the ball 30 yards nearer the goal. Also noteworthy that Glasner has form here: Kolo Muani went from relatively humdrum to lethal when he rocked up at Eintract and now looks just okay imo at PSG. He plays a system that focusses on getting the ball to the CF in good positions. Sounds simple no?

Posted (edited)

I was just taking a look at his Wiki page, for unrelated reasons, and came across the fact that he's scored 31 goals in 52 PL appearances for us. That's insane. Dude is elite in every aspect.

Edited by cubaricho

30 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I was just taking a look at his Wiki page, for unrelated reasons, and came across the fact that he's scored 31 goals in 52 PL appearances for us. That's insane. Dude is elite in every aspect.

And he played only 60 minutes in a significant portion of those games. 

This sounds harsh, but I’d genuinely highlight he has been pretty poor for us in about half his games. Whether that’s due to the style of the team, the demands on him without a suitable understudy, or the time it takes for him to get up to speed, I don’t know. If we can get him to stay injury free and to play consistently to his strengths, I really think the sky is the limit.

We have a couple of potentially world class players for the team to grow with. It’s frightening what we can become, and even more frightening that with Man City around, trophies are far from guaranteed even keeping our superstars.

Mateta lumbered around the pitch like he was wearing a sumo suit up here early in the season. If Glasner can get him to maintain his recent form he’s a genius or, Mateta has been been stealing a living up to this point.

He’s a very big unit, he’s clearly fitter now as he was blowing out of his arse and came off pretty early. Palace might have coached some movement and patterns of play for him as one thing you can’t really improve is speed of thought and actual speed. 

2 hours ago, Palace fan said:

Search me.  Didn't have a clue he had this in him and it surely can't be sustainable as that would make him a slightly better version of Drogba. His shooting accuracy stats though are kind of curious in that respect - can't all be confidence. 

Improvement partly down to the fact he's receiving the ball 30 yards nearer the goal. Also noteworthy that Glasner has form here: Kolo Muani went from relatively humdrum to lethal when he rocked up at Eintract and now looks just okay imo at PSG. He plays a system that focusses on getting the ball to the CF in good positions. Sounds simple no?

Hopefully Howe has a word with Glasner :lol: 

Isak and Wilson have still been fairly prolific when fit and playing. Plus I’m sure a lot of it is to do with personnel available. But I watch a lot of games where I feel like our 9 is isolated and we’re not getting them the service or involved enough.