Alexander Isak

Disco

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

You mean digital zoom, which is just a crop of the larger picture and is a complete waste of time.

Optical zoom can be great. Though clearly not as good as on a dedicated SLR.

I meant optical, but aye obv digital zoom is awful. My lass has one of the Google Pixels with optical zoom, it was bigged up as having the best camera partly for that reason - it's terrible. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I meant optical, but aye obv digital zoom is awful. My lass has one of the Google Pixels with optical zoom, it was bigged up as having the best camera partly for that reason - it's terrible. 

The optical zoom only kicks in after a certain time - And it's not when you think.

If you zoom from 1x up, slowly, it'll not switch immediately to optical and will instead use digital zoom initially. You can prove this by putting your finger over the lens in question and zooming, it'll stay obscured until it jumps to the other camera to use the "proper" optical zoom past a certain point.

On my Pixel 6 Pro I've just done this now, and the jump was at 7x zoom when zooming in, meaning everything up to that point was digital zoom :lol: despite the phone having "4x optical zoom" which is where you might expect it to jump, that is if you weren't expecting it to use optical immediately and up to 4x, which it does not.

Then zooming back in again, it stayed on optical from 7x down until 4x zoom, then jumped back to digital.

The optical zoom when in use is great, but it's not in use when you'd think it is. Also, the optical zoom is fixed length, it can ONLY do 4x. It cannot do 2X or anything like that (hence why it starts on digital), and when it did 7x on my phone just now that was 4x on Optical and the rest digital.

This isn't specific to the Pixel range by the way, my old Xiaomi Mi 10 Note Pro did exactly the same. As long as you understand the way the zoom works and work within it, you can get great results.

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

The optical zoom only kicks in after a certain time - And it's not when you think.

If you zoom from 1x up, slowly, it'll not switch immediately to optical and will instead use digital zoom initially. You can prove this by putting your finger over the lens in question and zooming, it'll stay obscured until it jumps to the other camera to use the "proper" optical zoom past a certain point.

On my Pixel 6 Pro I've just done this now, and the jump was at 7x zoom when zooming in, meaning everything up to that point was digital zoom :lol: despite the phone having "4x optical zoom" which is where you might expect it to jump, that is if you weren't expecting it to use optical immediately and up to 4x, which it does not.

Then zooming back in again, it stayed on optical from 7x down until 4x zoom, then jumped back to digital.

The optical zoom when in use is great, but it's not in use when you'd think it is. Also, the optical zoom is fixed length, it can ONLY do 4x. It cannot do 2X or anything like that (hence why it starts on digital), and when it did 7x on my phone just now that was 4x on Optical and the rest digital.

This isn't specific to the Pixel range by the way, my old Xiaomi Mi 10 Note Pro did exactly the same. As long as you understand the way the zoom works and work within it, you can get great results.

Very interesting! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

It is rather disturbing how grown men hang around the training ground for new signings etc. 

We'd have far less to talk about if they didn't. It's like being one of them people that cleans out septic tanks, I definitely want to do it so I'm pleased they do.

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Yep, I'm a massive nerd in all walks of my life and proud to be so, both professionally and in my spare time. Being a nerd is great. :)

I was only joshing mate. You're talking here to a grown man with more Lego than most kids and a life size replica Baby Yoda. I'm in no place to judge :lol:

12 minutes ago, TBG said:

I was only joshing mate. You're talking here to a grown man with more Lego than most kids and a life size replica Baby Yoda. I'm in no place to judge :lol:

No need to apologise, I saw it as a compliment :lol:

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I mean, really, like really, hoping that doesn’t seem the most appropriate chant. 

:lol: I was just making a Simpsons reference based largely on FA.

Edited by Lenny

4 minutes ago, Lenny said:

He can talk, he can talk, he can talk, he can talk, he can talk

While he can stand, while he can walk, while he can think, while he can talk

If I can dreeeeeeeeeeeeam.

Please let my dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam

Come truuuuuuuuuueeee whoaowoaowoa

RIGHT NOW.