Alexander Isak

Disco

20 minutes ago, STM said:

My reading of the situation is entirely different.

Our scouting department has files on dozens of players, often different profiles; wingers, forwards, number 10s, players with potential, players with experience.

Our recruitment team then spends time assessing the value of the player and making lower bids, seeing where the selling clubs value is. 

We've left things late, knowing that the market heats up, with clubs getting desperate due to their own needs. 

Isak was clearly a player we fancied earlier on but we weren't going to go in during June because values can be lowered.

I suspect at some point in the last week, Ashworth and Co decided that it was MORE wasteful spending 30m on a player who might be decent, as opposed to 58m for someone we know is decent. Sometimes spending more money is spending less in the long run.

Budgets have nothing to do with it. It's about value. We don't want to over pay on average players. In this scenario, we have paid the going rate for a top quality young striker.

Very nicely put. This is exactly how I believe it all works :thup:

Still can't believe we've signed Isak, this was the level of player I thought was completely out of reach atm, and we would've been laughed at for thinking otherwise.

If he was to hit the ground running, we will have accelerated our project drastically by finding the hardest piece of the puzzle, a top goal scorer.

5 hours ago, KaKa said:

Very nicely put. This is exactly how I believe it all works :thup:

Very good summary, agree. I also think this one was the first time this summer that we asked the chairman to push the boat out and support a big deal and caught up in the buzz of City game, he said yes. 

Some interesting posts on the FFP situation.

Given the fact that the club had spent very little over previous seasons, and FFP allows you to overspend one season if you're prepared to economise to keep within the three year rule later on, (I think that's right), then a lot of pundits were calculating that we could, in theory, spend a vast amount and still remain within FFP as time went on.

As this window has unfolded, a far more conservative approach seemed to be the strategy, and I can see the wisdom of that. It's a bit of a myth that you can invest a large amount of money in a squad, reach a certain plateau of quality, and then cut the expenditure down to an amount that maintains your current level. In practice, it seems that you usually have to keep spending, in order just to stay still.

So yes, I can see that with Izak, our owners have dipped into the riskier strategy. I don't think we're going to do a Man City ie keep spending and dare the football authorities to do their worst. So we'll either have to cut back at some stage, or Izak will actually prove to be an investment rather than a spend (ie one way or another the finanical benefits will exceed the cost)

Daft though it may sound, I think this lad will prove to be a bargain. He's had an iffy season, the bigger clubs have been distracted on to other targets who have had more recent success, and we've swooped in.

Sorry about the long post, and the repetition of points made elsewhere. 'I'm trying to clarify my own thinking.

Now Eales (and the legal guy) is in place, I am sure the club is very confident commercial revenues will improve drastically over the next 2-3 years which should offset some of our current spending, given payments etc are likely to be spread for players etc.  Add to that our cronic lack of spending over the previous years, I think we can probably speculate more than the club is letting on.  We have already spent c.£215M and it seems we have another c.£40m for a midfielder available...