Loris Karius: Released (Official)

NWMag

He has a video from in the crowd on his Instagram story, of the moment his name was called out at the start of the match as they announce the lineups and the whole crowd cheers for him :aww: 

Glad he felt some of that support from the fans backing him 

Just a quick word on how well this lad did yesterday. The mental strength to make his debut in a final after what happened in the Champions League final and not playing in so long deserves credit. 

He made a couple of good saves from Rashford and Bruno. His distribution and want to get the ball out quickly was good too. 

This may be controversial but I’d make him no2 for the rest of the season. Dubravka will be moved on in the summer regardless. Make this lad no2 and invest in a young, promising keeper as a long term replacement for Pope. 

2 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Just a quick word on how well this lad did yesterday. The mental strength to make his debut in a final after what happened in the Champions League final and not playing in so long deserves credit. 

He made a couple of good saves from Rashford and Bruno. His distribution and want to get the ball out quickly was good too. 

This may be controversial but I’d make him no2 for the rest of the season. Dubravka will be moved on in the summer regardless. Make this lad no2 and invest in a young, promising keeper as a long term replacement for Pope. 

I don’t think it is controversial, think there’s pretty much unanimous agreement that Dubravka should be binned and this lad deserves a chance as number two.

I’d bring Krul in as number 3 for the home grown quota for any potential European campaign. 

Not much he could have done about either goal. You could argue about the second, but I think that's a wonder-save if he reacts to that late deflection and keeps it out.

A couple of excellent saves as well - particularly one against Weghorst.

Think he's done enough there to have a proper run at the No2 GK slot. Good on him, didn't let us down.

I have a soft spot for keepers so I'm actually beaming with pride for Karius. Just saw a video where the Mancs cunts kept the ball and jeering him and he just calmly waits for it and not retaliate. True pro and glad he was able to makes good,decent stops and ensure the scores were kept low. Great lad.

Edited by nufcjb

13 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

I have a soft spot for keepers so I'm actually beaming with pride for Karius. Just saw a video where the Mancs cunts kept the ball and jeering him and he just calmly waits for it and not retaliate. True pro and glad he was able to makes good,decent stops and ensure the scores were kept low. Great lad.

That was right in front of me, I was livid. Was jeered all game whenever he took a gk and didn't let it phase him.

32 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Not much he could have done about either goal. You could argue about the second, but I think that's a wonder-save if he reacts to that late deflection and keeps it out.

A couple of excellent saves as well - particularly one against Weghorst.

Think he's done enough there to have a proper run at the No2 GK slot. Good on him, didn't let us down.

I agree, though I do think Pope saves that 2nd goal but that's cos he's taller and arguably gets a better hand to it, not Karius fault that he's shorter than him and he was rightly set to expect the shot to go low and across him, just unlucky

He's younger than Dubravka so I'd happily have him as No2

Very small sample size. But I would be more than happy with him as our number 3. Possibly even 2 if we can get a few quid for Dubravka and his wages off the books. 

His distribution was tidy and made a couple of quality saves. Not seen the second back today. A few saying he should have done better. But that feels a bit harsh. 

Not sure on his Alan Partridge driving gloves, mind :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad

I do think if Darlow or Gillespie concede that second goal, they get a ton of stick thrown their way. 

Like I’ve said though, he came in and he’s done well, maybe a bit rusty which is understandable. I’m happy for him if he sticks around but I do think he should be number 1 somewhere. 

1 minute ago, nufcjb said:

If ever, God frobid, we need a repalacement for Pope for a game towards the end of this season, would it be Dubs or Karius for you guys? 

Has to be Dubs because he's a better keeper. But after this season I don't expect Dubs to be here anyway. Whether Karius is good enough to be no 2 is another question, I suppose he deserves the chance to make his case.

2 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

If ever, God frobid, we need a repalacement for Pope for a game towards the end of this season, would it be Dubs or Karius for you guys? 

As soon as Martin jumped ship due to a little bit of competition that was me done with him. If he didn't want to fight for no.1 then, why would that have suddenly changed.

Loris for me!

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

It wasn't a contest though was it? Howe signed Pope as number 1. As soon as he signed him, that was it really.

I don't begrudge him wanting to move on, but it's always a contest. Even if we're not talking a literal one-on-one fight to the death, they're still competing for a spot. Pope fucks up, Dubs would've been there breathing down his neck.

Personally I'd give Karius the nod over Dubs, mostly because he's more of an unknown quantity. But it'll depend what we're competing for at the time. Last game of the season and we need a point for CL... aye maybe not the time to experiment.

I don't think it was. It wasn't like when Arsenal signed Ramsdale and Leno got the chance to stake his claim at the start of last season for instance  He was dropped from the start. That's absolutely fair as Pope is clearly better, but I don't think it was a contest at all. He did very little wrong second half of last season so don't begrudge him at all for wanting to leave once we bought his upgrade.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

I don't begrudge him wanting to move on, but it's always a contest. Even if we're not talking a literal one-on-one fight to the death, they're still competing for a spot. Pope fucks up, Dubs would've been there breathing down his neck.

Personally I'd give Karius the nod over Dubs, mostly because he's more of an unknown quantity. But it'll depend what we're competing for at the time. Last game of the season and we need a point for CL... aye maybe not the time to experiment.

Also the more handsome man, let’s keep that quota up imo

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think it was. It wasn't like when Arsenal signed Ramsdale and Leno got the chance to stake his claim at the start of last season for instance  He was dropped from the start. That's absolutely fair as Pope is clearly better, but I don't think it was a contest at all. He did very little wrong second half of last season so don't begrudge him at all for wanting to leave once we bought his upgrade.

It was the manner of his departure that stuck in the craw. Don't think many would've complained if he'd gone to be number 1 at Leicester or Middlesbrough or somewhere. Instead his daft arse picked up splinters in Manchester, and in virtually the only game he played in, in which he became a walking eyeroll for his new supporters, he nearly screwed up our whole season by cup tieing himself for the one match in his life he could've made himself a legend in. So altogether it would be best he just became a vague memory.

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It wasn't a contest though was it? Howe signed Pope as number 1. As soon as he signed him, that was it really.

Well yeah, but you apply that to any 2 keepers in the league pretty much.

FWIW I can understand why he was annoyed, but he has no future here.

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I guess this is just a fundamental disagreement on what you see as a competition. For me every spot on the team is a competition, even with a clear starter. There is always the potential for people to improve (or degrade...), and that's especially common with new signings. For all we know Pope could've been a bag of shit and Dubs would've waltzed back into the team. The immediacy of Dubs going just leave a sour taste, which wasn't helped by who he signed for. For whatever reason he and Howe musn't be best of friends too. So I'd rather we just sacked him off and moved on with the whole thing.