Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

Would be a bit daft to ditch him if you ask me, he's done enough at Brighton to show he's a good coach, surely worth persevering with for a while longer. Still, I hope they do sack him since I would be quite happy to see Chelsea sink like a stone.

Totally different approaches at the two clubs, mind. Brighton are purely data and analysis focussed with everyone at the club buying into it and on the same page.

Chelsea there seems to be no plan at all just hoy as much money about as possible and try to buy your way out of problems in the short term. Can't even tell if half of these signings are Potter's or not. Just not sure if he has enough about him to deal with all these 'superstars' and the owner. He just looks lost on the touchline. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Got to think, when Villa, Chelsea and Liverpool all get their act together, while Arsenal and Man United simultaneously maintain their upturn in form, the top seven will be beyond us next year.

Some prophet you are

3 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Totally different approaches at the two clubs, mind. Brighton are purely data and analysis focussed with everyone at the club buying into it and on the same page.

Chelsea there seems to be no plan at all just hoy as much money about as possible and try to buy your way out of problems in the short term. Can't even tell if half of these signings are Potter's or not. Just not sure if he has enough about him to deal with all these 'superstars' and the owner. He just looks lost on the touchline. 

I just think it would be a shame to have a thoughtful and intelligent English manager come a cropper without being given a proper chance when we've had to suffer insufferable PFMs like Allardyce, Pardew and Bruce for decades. Wasn't Howe written off a couple of years ago?

I actually like Havertz as a player. He’s not a forward though. He’s still really young and has shown some incredible moments. If he gets a good move or Chelsea build something round him he’ll be a player. 

Just now, TRon said:

I just think it would be a shame to have a thoughtful and intelligent English manager come a cropper without being given a proper chance when we've had to suffer insufferable PFMs like Allardyce, Pardew and Bruce for decades. Wasn't Howe written off a couple of years ago?

No - don’t think so, think he’s always been highly rated and everybody stated he achieved a lot more than he should have done with what he had to work with.

Some people will always say “he took Bournemouth down” but their just idiots.

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

I actually like Havertz as a player. He’s not a forward though. He’s still really young and has shown some incredible moments. If he gets a good move or Chelsea build something round him he’ll be a player. 

Personally hope he gets crippled and never plays again.

33 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Potter put together an unfancied team playing some really good football. I'm sure he had good staff at Brighton, but it was still light years ahead of what some of his compatriots have produced down the years.

14 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Class away performance from Villa. Stark contrast to them under that fraud in charge of them early season.

Classic really wasn't it. Classic scoreline too.  Got to accept a few chances are going to fall to the home team but bit of a smash and grab initially into not in trouble by the end.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Potter put together an unfancied team playing some really good football. I'm sure he had good staff at Brighton, but it was still light years ahead of what some of his compatriots have produced down the years.

I rate Potter alot but I don't know, this just seems like a bad fit. I've no idea what's going on behind the scenes but a big part of being Chelsea manager is dealing with that sort of stuff. It looks like Potter is just happy to be at a 'big club' and trying to deal with what he's presented with rather than demand the club buy into his ideas like Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel did. 

Like with us we are clearly buying into what Howe wants from a team and have got the right infrastructure in place to allow that to happen. I don't know if Potter will ever get that at Chelsea. 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think what De Zebri has done since Potter left has shown that Potter wasn’t as good as being made out.

Dunno like, de Zerbi inherited a setup that was honed and proven and churning out top players and a solid footballing philosophy. Potter deserves credit for that, he squeezed the most he could out of it and left the club and squad in a very very good place. Some managers inherit basket-cases of clubs but de Zerbi inherited a dream case scenario. That's not to say he hasn't done well, he absolutely has and has tweaked a few things to keep it fresh but that club is a model of how to build from scratch.   

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think what De Zebri has done since Potter left has shown that Potter wasn’t as good as being made out.

Time will tell with De Zebri, but it's difficult to argue Potter didn't do an excellent job at Brighton given their stature as a club. If De Zebri does even better then fair enough.

It is notable that Brighton had a lot more control under Potter, but they've sacrificed that to become more effective in the final third. I still think it could be their undoing against well coached sides.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Time will tell with De Zebri, but it's difficult to argue Potter didn't do an excellent job at Brighton given their stature as a club. If De Zebri does even better then fair enough.

It is notable that Brighton had a lot more control under Potter, but they've sacrificed that to become more effective in the final third. I still think it could be their undoing against well coached sides.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not discrediting Potter, he did an excellent job, just think De Zebri has transformed their attack which was often much criticised under Potter. They look set to easily smash all their previous records under Potter and have a cup semi final as well.

walk-in.gif

Evening, all.

Players improved under Gerrard in a year: Ramsey (at a push).

Players improved under Emery in 15 games: McGinn, Watkins, Ramsey, Luiz, Mings, Buendia. And there are probably more.

I still feel all this sticks in the craw of the cheerleaders for the traditional wanker British managers who can't handle Stevie G failing, but the difference here is absolutely night and day, no comparison.

Under Emery, we play like we have a plan, and a collective brain and an effort to make it happen. I never really feel like we are going to lose - we do lose, obviously, but I go into matches thinking we'll quite possibly win. Week after week.

We've scored in every game under him. We had one game against Leicester where we made four poor mistakes and every one of them was punished. We lost at home to Arsenal, but were at 2-2 until the 93rd minute when a shot hit the crossbar, bounced in and went in off our keeper's head.

I was wrong about a few of these players. I thought Watkins wasn't up to it, I thought McGinn was a busted flush, but we're seeing the impact a proper coach with a properly professional backroom staff can make, it's remarkable, and I just wish we hadn't wasted the first third of the season on that cunt Gerrard.

EDIT - and another thing, in 15 games he has entirely changed the way we play, totally different. He has us playing out from the keeper to the defenders, ball to feet, all the time, something we never did under Gerrard. We now keep the ball, he goes nuts when we give it away cheaply.

15 games, remarkable.

Edited by brummie