Other games (2024/25)

simonsays

A bit different with West Ham. Their group is reasonably strong for the Europa League, certainly compared to Liverpool's, but they are still playing the likes of TSC Backa Topola where they started Ings, Kehrer and Mavropanos, who haven't started a single league match this season, likewise Fornals, Kudos, Cresswell and Ogbonna who have only started 1 PL match each, plus their cup keeper, so that's 8 of your XI who are fringe players. The Europa League, and certainly the Conference, definitely allows you to use your squad more in the earlier stages, and big names are not going to be pissed off if they are rested for a few of those earlier matches, whereas a Bruno, Trippier, Botman etc. wouldn't be best pleased if they had to skip a PSG match that they worked so hard to qualify for the previous season.

Edited by Paullow

8 hours ago, Erikse said:

Kind of crazy how West Ham put out pretty much their strongest team yesterday. They are in Europe, just like us.

I mean, not just like you - I’ve literally never heard of the team they play next.

19 minutes ago, Disco said:

Moyes did the same a couple of seasons back. He’s not good at rotating and they faultered badly at the end of the season and were meek in their SF v Frankfurt.

Some of his decisions at the end of that season were bizarre. He seemed to decide that it'd be easier for them to get CL football by finishing 4th than beating Frankfurt over 2 legs then Rangers/whoever the other semi-finalist was that year.

24 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

You into your South American football much?

I got into Brazil Serie A when the kids were keeping me awake at daft hours. Not so much now, but I'm still partial to a wager on it.

I tried to watch other bits and pieces, but outside Brazil, Argentina and maybe Colombia the quality is dire. 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I got into Brazil Serie A when the kids were keeping me awake at daft hours. Not so much now, but I'm still partial to a wager on it.

I tried to watch other bits and pieces, but outside Brazil, Argentina and maybe Colombia the quality is dire. 

Ah okay. I’ve got/once had a minor interest in it and wouldn’t mind rekindling the flame. Just didn’t know what site(s) were best to follow the latest news on is all. I don’t have twitter so I only get to hear bits of Tim Vickery here and there whenever someone in the media needs to interview him. 

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Ah okay. I’ve got/once had a minor interest in it and wouldn’t mind rekindling the flame. Just didn’t know what site(s) were best to follow the latest news on is all. I don’t have twitter so I only get to hear bits of Tim Vickery here and there whenever someone in the media needs to interview him. 

If you have a Bet365 account and keep some change in it, you can watch most games on there. If you don't it'll probably be a stream.

4 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I mean, not just like you - I’ve literally never heard of the team they play next.

I bet he will still go with a strong lineup in that one aswell.

Edited by Erikse

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Copa Libadatores final, Boca Juniors v. Fluminese on BBC3 at 8pm on Saturday. 

Bit shite how it’s being played in Rio so it’ll effectively be a home game for Flu. 

Two of the best kits going though. 

Hopefully at least two reds and Cavani to win it for Boca but if Boca win on pens they’ve won all their knockout games on pens which can’t have happened before surely?

14 minutes ago, Disco said:

Bit shite how it’s being played in Rio so it’ll effectively be a home game for Flu. 

Two of the best kits going though. 

Hopefully at least two reds and Cavani to win it for Boca but if Boca win on pens they’ve won all their knockout games on pens which can’t have happened before surely?

You into your South American football as well? What sites are best to stay in the loop for it?

I’ll be hoping Boca bag it like I’ve always loved their strips. 

Genuinely gutted I’m missing this match as I’m at a mutual friends wedding evening do. Think I’ll record it and watch it hungover spoiler-free on the Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

You into your South American football as well? What sites are best to stay in the loop for it?

Genuinely gutted I’m missing this match as I’m at a mutual friends wedding evening do. Think I’ll record it and watch it hungover spoiler-free on the Sunday. 

Spoiler free you say :bluestar:

Edited by madras

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I only really follow Argieball tbf and mainly just follow on Twitter but ESPN is probably best for English language stuff.

Should be a fairly even game. In true South American style both teams have totally fucked off their domestic leagues for this.

Just now, madras said:

Spoiler free you say :bluestar:

Be a doddle man. The “other games” thread will be full of comments/updates/discussions about all the games in the PL that day that’ll it’ll drown out those few posts about the Copa Libadatores final. I’d have have to wake up Sunday morning and go trawling through the thread looking for match updates!

……..unless some prick directly inboxes me the full time score. 

Just now, Disco said:

I only really follow Argieball tbf and mainly just follow on Twitter but ESPN is probably best for English language stuff.

Should be a fairly even game. In true South American style both teams have totally fucked off their domestic leagues for this.

Nice one mate. Shame the Athletic don’t do any coverage of South America. 

Looking forward to Leicester vs Leeds tonight. It has a big feel to it, and feels particularly important to the visitors - a win would be huge and would set down a marker for automatic promotion and be a big statement, but if they lost they would still be 9 points off second, and having played 2 extra matches.

Hypothetically, had it have been say Luton vs Bournemouth in the PL instead, which do you think would have done the better numbers on Sky?

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'd always automatically watch the PL, even though often the Championship is better. Just habit I guess. 

Yeah, that was my thinking - I'd imagine there will be a lot more doing similar, but on the other hand, Leicester and Leeds are obviously 'bigger' clubs, and will have bigger fan bases. Leicester with their recent trophies and European adventures, and Leeds with the city and general bigger stature, plus probably more rival fans watching in hope they get beat.

I guess there's also the factor that some may only subscribe to 'Sky Sports Premier League' which and wouldn't have access to tonight's match, but all things equal, it would be interesting to see which match would do better.