Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

There will always be serious competition from well run clubs, why Liverpool were able to compete with Man City for a while before seem to have started getting silly again. There will be the Arsenals of this season, but there will also plenty of clubs spending a lot and failing miserably. I do not buy that clubs are all getting better, Chelsea continue to stumble badly in search of being any good (still have good champions league runs in them mind), Spurs will continue to hire totally inappropriate managers and Kane may well be gone or over the hill fairly soon. 

I was always a bit less concerned about ffp than others have been because being well run does give you a lot of head starts over clubs with more money. There is low hanging fruit and players that are bargains. But it's just a big wheel, one season Spurs are overperforming but arsenal are clowns, next season chelsea are challenging. All that remains is Man City will be there or thereabouts and man u will be dogshit and still near the champions league places some how. I don't buy that all these new coaches will all be great, half will, half will get it wrong

I just think more clubs in the prem are now able to pay for decent coaches and can also now afford and attract a much better calibre of player.

As I mentioned previousy, both ourselves and Villa all of a sudden have found ourselves with two top managers and there are the resources to get in some very good players. I think we are both in a very strong position to cause problems if clubs at the top slip up even a bit. West Ham brought in some really talented players in the summer, and already had some in place at the club. They should be right there as well, but Moyes just isn't right for the type of players they have gone and brought in. If they go and hire someone more adept at getting the best out of the likes of Paqueta and Scammacca along with the likes of Rice, Bowen etc. I could see a big improvement there going forward. Lets say they hired Pochettino for example.

There's also just going to be a lot more competitive games week to week for clubs competing at the top. There's hardly anymore games that are a complete walk in the park.  When you then see the likes of Wolves signing someone like Matheus Nunes who a lot of top clubs were monitoring, there's possibilities there if they get the right manager in. Fulham signing Paulinha in the summer was absolutely ridiculous too, and their manager seems to have found his feet, after struggling a bit at Everton, he's clearly a talented manager. A few good seasons and with more money to spend and Fulham could start progressing as a club too. If you don't have your stuff together I think it's just going to be much harder to coast to titles. There's going to be more challenging games in general, and more clubs able to put pressure on if you fall off.

3 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

There is something to that, and definitely clubs like Brentford and Brighton are able to compete better because of smart signings and being more on a level playing field sports science wise, but, and I am going to get flack for suggesting that, Klopp was kinda right there are ceilings for these clubs because they will always lose players to the rich clubs. (Still the fucking gall of Klopp pleading poverty so much, still fucking annoys me, but he's not wrong imo. 

I think the quality of the midtable probably is higher than ever. and I can see the odd title upset (which arsenal winning would arguably be, but also more extreme ways like Lecesiter, but, I can't see Man City, or a club similarly funded like us soon, not dominating 4 seasons out of 5 still for the foreseeable. 

I agree with that for sure. I think it's basically a case of the pyramid being a lot less steep than it was a few years ago. But it's certainly still a pyramid.

And yes, because one or two clubs have nearly unlimited resources, it'll possibly become easier for them because they'll be the only ones with guaranteed at any cost access to so-called unicorns - the kind of players like Haaland and de Bruyne that just put in relentless, error free, state of the art performances 49 out of 50 games a season. Those players being necessitated because MOST PL competitors are error free 45 games out of 50, rather than maybe a 35:50 ratio 10 years ago or a 25:50 ratio a quarter of a century ago.

Of course, this may not actually be fun to watch... There's a reason professional wrestling consistently chose to invent fallible performers and referees.

4 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

There is something to that, and definitely clubs like Brentford and Brighton are able to compete better because of smart signings and being more on a level playing field sports science wise, but, and I am going to get flack for suggesting that, Klopp was kinda right there are ceilings for these clubs because they will always lose players to the rich clubs. (Still the fucking gall of Klopp pleading poverty so much, still fucking annoys me, but he's not wrong imo. 

I think the quality of the midtable probably is higher than ever. and I can see the odd title upset (which arsenal winning would arguably be, but also more extreme ways like Lecesiter, but, I can't see Man City, or a club similarly funded like us soon, not dominating 4 seasons out of 5 still for the foreseeable. 

So this is the thing that was a big headache before, but now with so much more scouting and recruitment capabilities for even the smaller clubs, these sales potentially make teams more dangerous, if they have their houses in order.

Lets look at Brighton as an example, who are a relatively smaller club with an excellent structure in place. They have just sold Cucurella this past summer for £60 million after buying him for just £15 million a year prior. They also ended up getting £20 million off Chelsea for their manager. That's almost a £100 million they have in place now to work with.

The new manager that has come in looks like he knows what he is doing and the left back that has come in to replace Cucurella, Pervis Estupinan, seems to have been a sound purchase for a comparatively much lower fee. There really doesn't seem to have been much of a drop off from where they were before, but now they have a ton more money in play to continue to build all areas of the club including the first team.

I see that, there are more clubs who ought to be able to give better games and yet

in the last 5 seasons 4 teams (Man City and Liverpool) have won the league with over 90 points

5 seasons before that only 1 did, (Chelsea)

5 seasons before that only 1 did again (Man U)

5 seasons before that 3 did (Chelsea and Arsenal)

And in the first 10 years of the premier league only 2 teams (both Man U) got over 90 points. 

That to me says that by and large Man City are winning games easier than previous champions won games in general. over 90 points is more common does not suggest that more of the games are tougher...

It's been the case since Guardiola has been at Man City, him coming into this league was a watershed moment for English football imo; the season before he was here Leicester won the title with 81 points and from that season up to now every champion has accrued over 90 points (with the exception of the behind closed doors season of 2020-21 where 86 points won it). Pre-Guardiola I don't remember the big 6, certainly the top 2/3 teams cantering to wins as much or as emphatically as often as they do now, PL clubs have done quite well in the Champions League post-2016, England have performed well in the last 3 tournaments as opposed to what happened in the 25 years between 1991-2016 and the PFM has mostly died a death at top level football. Still to be convinced it's just a coincidence that this has all happened since Guardiola has been at Man City, whether that changes after he goes (and Klopp for that matter) remains to be seen.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Maybe, just maybe, they'll start to realise Gerrard and Lampard are completely living off their player reputations and have done nothing to truly improve themselves in the world of management. They're the new Steve Bruces.

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Gutted that's the end of Lampard. Just needed a few more games to be a total disaster, with no chance of rescuing. 

It will cost them a fortune to sack him, didn't he bring all his coaching mates with him?, it will cost them any budget they had for January