Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm all for fairytales but surely we're rooting for Keys' lads? Kenilworth Road can't be a Premier League ground, man. :lol: Coventry are a big club, be good to see them back hopefully alongside Forest and Leeds, and the nostalgia is rife.

Luton for me. Anything to do with Mike Ashley needs to be kept away from top flight football.

39 minutes ago, madras said:

I don't know who I want. That Luton strip from the mid 70s was a classic. Coventry was my first league game (74/75).

Decisions decisions.

Luton, dont want Mike Ashley to be linked with any kind of success (never mind Hairy Hands)

Kenny Wharton sat on the ball v Luton. Tommy Robinson, Andrew Tate.

Sir Les' first goal for us v Coventry, first game of the season. An opportunity to play against something to do with Mike Ashley. Richard Keys.

Nostalgia and schadenfreude dictates Coventry for me.

27 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Did I hear correctly that Luton Town were in a League Cup final in 1988 (or something similar)? Seems crazy that they've been in a major final in my life time like. 

They won it.  Danny Wilson header vs Arsenal

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Did I hear correctly that Luton Town were in a League Cup final in 1988 (or something similar)? Seems crazy that they've been in a major final in my life time like. 

Back to back 1988 winners, 1989 runners up.

you think that's crazy check out who won the FA Cup that year (Wimbledon - who beat Luton in the semi) and who lost the 1990 league cup final (Oldham).

Edited by Jonas

11 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

A year after he released Mary’s Prayer - some 12 months for him. 

Excellent craic that.

Was legit in the charts at the time of the cup final winner.

20 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Back to back 1988 winners, 1989 runners up.

you think that's crazy check out who won the FA Cup that year (Wimbledon - who beat Luton in the semi) and who lost the 1990 league cup final (Oldham).

Thank God Sky saved football from such competitiveness.

...and Cov won the FA Cup in 1987, of course.

I had backed Cov that year as I felt the team was developing excitingly after a decade of final day relegation scraps (Ogrizovic, Kilkline, Gynn, Magrath, Regis, Bennett). A manificent day when they won their first major trophy. Sadly, just a few years later they returned to final day relegation scraps.

Really hope they beat Luton (despite the Ashley link).

10 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Owns the stadium, tried to buy the club but lost out

No doubt his tat will be plastered all over

Completely forgot about that, come on Luton! 

I know one shouldn't judge these teams from our ivory tower, but either Luton or Coventry in the Premmo? Both seem like an absolute certainty to go down next year.

obviously I know nothing of their abilities/current financial backing, but I shall judge anyway.

13 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

I know one shouldn't judge these teams from our ivory tower, but either Luton or Coventry in the Premmo? Both seem like an absolute certainty to go down next year.

obviously I know nothing of their abilities/current financial backing, but I shall judge anyway.

Coventry's future is still insecure with regard to having a home. I believe Ashley finally agreed to a 5 year tenancy at the Ricoh. Who knows after that? They've had a new (American) owner for only about 4 months, having finally rid themselves of the vampiric SISU that have preyed on them for 25 years or so. 

It'd be truly astonishing if they make it back to the PL. Heartwarming stuff. It would seem an impossible task to stay a second season if they do get promoted. However, those parachute payments would be transformative. The club's very future has been in doubt for a long time and now they have a real chance to normalise and prosper off the pitch as well as on it.

Mark Robbins has been heroic to the Sky Blues's cause. 

Growing up in the 90's Coventry belongs in the PL for me. Bring back Steve Ogrizovic, Gary McAllister, Peter Ndlovu, Paul Telfer, Julian Darby, John Salako and Dion Dublin

1 hour ago, SEMTEX said:

Scott Parker thought Bournemouth were a certainty to get relegated yet here we are 

Although I agree whoever gets promoted is probably favourite for the drop but we've seen each season it's difficult to call

3 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

They both must be skint, Luton play football in a stadium that was shit in the 80's and Coventry done even own theirs, they rent off fat Hitler.

If I was either I would bank half the TV money, bring in a few older premier league pros for a season and set themselves up for the future.