Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

If they weren’t in London, they wouldn’t be Crystal Palace. 

They lack identity, both as a club and fanbase. In the community that is English football, they're mostly irrelevant. 

On the surface, it appeared Viera was trying to build that, but ultimately it seemed to fizzle out as the fans didn't really rally around him. Since Howe has come here, he's galvanized the fanbase, players and boardroom. That's a huge part of our turnaround, the culture he's tried to instil from day 1. 

I agree with you, my statement was a bit silly, but the quality that keeps Palace in the league is mostly from their academy and catchment. Good on them for developing that player pipeline, but they've never really done anything of note with it. 

8 hours ago, KaKa said:

Not to still be playing the likes of Ward, Ayew, Schlupp and Hughes so much, and to maybe move on from Hodgson at this point, as there isn't much to really build on with him going forward, although he has served them really well.

They're like us under Ashley for me. Why show ambition to push on when you can spend the maximum it takes just to finish out of a relegation scrap. 

33 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

They're like us under Ashley for me. Why show ambition to push on when you can spend the maximum it takes just to finish out of a relegation scrap. 

10 minutes ago, madras said:

Minimum ?

Allan Saint-Minimum 

17 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I hate to say it, but Spurs look like the real deal. They just need to keep Maddison fit.

Right now you could argue that with Bentancur back Maddison might not be the biggest issue. The drop-off after Son, the keeper and the centre-backs is arguably greater. Remains to be seen how fully Bentancur has recovered from his horrible injury though.

Stuck record and I know everyone is saying it. But Ange really is quality and a breath of fresh air. I’m sure there are lots of ‘normal’ people in management. But none that seem to also be so talented and come across so well in the media. 

43 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Right now you could argue that with Bentancur back Maddison might not be the biggest issue. The drop-off after Son, the keeper and the centre-backs is arguably greater. Remains to be seen how fully Bentancur has recovered from his horrible injury though.

After Kane. He was your best player before doing his ACL, I thought. 

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Stuck record and I know everyone is saying it. But Ange really is quality and a breath of fresh air. I’m sure there are lots of ‘normal’ people in management. But none that seem to also be so talented and come across so well in the media. 

It’s a bit bizarre because putting the football stuff aside all he’s doing is just being a normal - albeit clever and witty -  bloke. The fact it stands out so much is a bit glaring. Just look at Neville’s mildly hysterical laughter when they were chatting after the game last night.

AP wasn't a household name so naturally podcasters and Twitter morons alike had a good old laugh at the appointment, but he's a good coach. 

Much like De Zerbi he's on a good run and riding the crest of a wave, but the real test is how he and his side react when that comes to an end.

27 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

It’s a bit bizarre because putting the football stuff aside all he’s doing is just being a normal - albeit clever and witty -  bloke. The fact it stands out so much is a bit glaring. Just look at Neville’s mildly hysterical laughter when they were chatting after the game last night.

Aye. Carragher sometimes comes across pretty well. Gobbing at people aside :lol: 

But with so many pundits. It all feels contrived for them to seem relatable, or worse, like they are deliberately playing a character. Like the whole comedy duo with Richards and Keane. Do me a favour. It’s vomit inducing. They’ve both become a parody of themselves, like so many on Sky. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

4 hours ago, Cronky said:

I hate to say it, but Spurs look like the real deal. They just need to keep Maddison fit.

..and Son. Either of them get injured and the wheels fall off.

Edited by duo

Speaking of the game, I rewatched it late last night. Having those refs who don’t want to book players is all well and good, and seems even-handed on the face of it, but when one team is systematically spoiling and fouling from the front as part of their gameplan then you just end up favouring them dramatically. 

Watch Jordan Ayew. Every single thing he did when he didn’t have the ball but was somewhere near it was a foul. It was amazing.

Anyway, job done, the fact that we played Monday and Friday and came away with 6pts is ace and now we can take it easy for 10 days or whatever it is.

Cole Palmer is the one player this summer that I think We were daft not to sign. He’s got so much class and composure on the ball, plays wide or number 10 and he’s the perfect age. Surprised we weren’t in for him

I've gone for Southampton. It helps if the team you want to win ate expected to. Might switch over to Chelsea if Saints go 3 up.

I was actually wanting to watch a bit of Schalke vs Hannover, 2 big city teams thst should probably be in the top half of the top flight, certainly Schalke, yet it's a 2nd tier clash, and Schalke are currently 3rd bottom. Its on Sky's YouTube channel and LivefootballonTV said 11am, so was going to watchmost of it, but it's actually 12pm and clashes a lot with the other 2 matches.

2-0 Saints.