Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Basically loped around half heartedly like we were just going to stroll through.

Abject lack of defending for the second, brainless giving away of the penalty, and our second choice goalkeeper is an utter joke.

2 minutes ago, brummie said:

Basically loped around half heartedly like we were just going to stroll through.

Abject lack of defending for the second, brainless giving away of the penalty, and our second choice goalkeeper is an utter joke.

Oii, don't get at him just 'cos they beat you. 

10 minutes ago, La Parka said:

Definitely. Rugby league is as massive. 

I’ve not been to Leeds itself but in Yorkshire, Sheffield aside, everyone seems to support Leeds.

In Doncaster there is plenty of Leeds fans there, and I’ve said in the past, loads of our fans there, in fact when I was there last weekend there was a father and his son wearing a Newcastle shirt playing football on a bit of grass literally outside of Doncaster Rovers’ stadium. On a non-match day you’ll likely see more Newcastle and Leeds shirts than Doncaster Rovers.

I’ve been to Leeds probably over 100 times, they do have a lot of casual fans who when you ask who they support they say Leeds (and a lot are more rugby orientated than football), but never go to Elland Road, for some strange reason there are lots of Leeds born Liverpool fans I’ve encountered (better than the Mancs, Leeds can do one nowadays etc.).

Until recently they were in the lower leagues so I can imagine a lot of the younger generation just picked other teams and the older generation gave up or died sadly. That could have easily been the case with us under Ashley and was starting to happen.

My boy and his team-mates couldn’t care less about NUFC before the takeover, now they all go to training in NUFC gear and half have season tickets, with their parents now starting to go again. My two want one and the oldest doesn’t even like football. I won’t be getting them one though, as happy as I am with things, I don’t feel comfortable with our owners and can’t be chowed these days. They’ll get to plenty of cup games and friendlies I’m sure over the years.

One other thing and I don’t know if it’s common today, I remember my dad was obviously an NUFC fan, but ‘supported’ Wolves and Liverpool for some reason, my uncle Spurs after Newcastle. I think during the 50s-60s there wasn’t a tribal kind of culture or rivalry, people just loved football and footballers and had second or third teams, but would never go against their own hometown team.

My grandad and his dad would go and watch the mackems when we played away and they were at home and cheered any English or Scottish team when playing in Europe and all home nations in WCs etc. Funny old game as they say!

Edited by King HTT III

That is a hammer blow for Villa.

Realistically, with the start they made, they're probably not going to finish above the usual 6 or Newcastle, and probably not Brighton either, nor will they get relegated, so you're looking at somewhere between 9th and 12th, and probably a lot of less meaningful matches around the 30 game mark.

They've got this top manager in with knock out competition pedigree, and have already seen 2 of Chelsea/Man City/Arsenal going out before R5, as well as Newcastle, and many other PL clubs (2 of Liverpool/Wolves/Brighton will also exit). A very winnable R4 match at Stoke, so a real chance of making the last 16, and with the right draw, possibly a QF/SF, or a final.

Ours obviously wasn't great either, but we had a generally accepted bigger cup tie 3 days later (won't be ideal if we exit their too), plus very much in the fight for top 4/6, but the FA Cup probably should have been their main focus for the rest of this season.

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Leeds never felt like a football city when I lived there. Rugby and cricket felt just as popular, if not more so.

One thing that I have noticed having spent time in both Bradford and Leeds recently is that you do see lots of Liverpool and Man Utd shirts - and people openly supporting them in pubs. Certainly to a far greater extent than I have ever seen in Newcastle tbh. 

5 minutes ago, King HTT III said:

I’ve been to Leeds probably over 100 times, they do have a lot of casual fans who when you ask who they support they say Leeds (and a lot are more rugby orientated than football), but never go to Elland Road, for some strange reason there are lots of Leeds born Liverpool fans I’ve encountered (better than the Mancs, Leeds can do one nowadays etc.).

Until recently they were in the lower leagues so I can imagine a lot of the younger generation just picked other teams and the older generation gave up or died sadly. That could have easily been the case with us under Ashley and was starting to happen.

My boy and his team-mates couldn’t care less about NUFC before the takeover, now they all go to training in NUFC gear and half have season tickets, with their parents now starting to go again. My two want one and the oldest doesn’t even like football. I won’t be getting them one though, as happy as I am with things, I don’t feel comfortable with our owners and can’t be chowed these days. They’ll get to plenty of cup games and friendlies I’m sure over the years.

One other thing and I don’t know if it’s common today, I remember my dad was obviously an NUFC fan, but ‘supported’ Wolves and Liverpool for some reason, my uncle Spurs after Newcastle. I think during the 50s-60s there wasn’t a tribal kind of culture or rivalry, people just loved football and footballers and had second or third teams, but would never go against their own hometown team.

My grandad and his dad would go and watch the mackems when we played away and they were at home and cheered any English or Scottish team when playing in Europe and all home nations in WCs etc. Funny old game as they say!

I lived in Leeds from 2008 to 2015 and a few miles away since then so 14 years in total in and around the Leeds area.

Until Bielsa you used to see more Man City tops around than Leeds. All of a sudden people who I'd known for the best part of a decade and had never mentioned football before were striding around in Leeds tops. Probably helped that having been mint for years the Rhinos suddenly turned shit around the same time.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

One thing that I have noticed having spent time in both Bradford and Leeds recently is that you do see lots of Liverpool and Man Utd shirts - and people openly supporting them in pubs. Certainly to a far greater extent than I have ever seen in Newcastle tbh. 

Unless we are playing a rival team, in my whole life span I’ve hardly seen anyone wearing another team’s kit unless we are playing them at home or kids wearing whatever kit they get bought for them. I remember the KK years and people were wearing Toon tops to go to work, it was a sea of black and white and I’m starting to notice similar today. Hell, I wear my retro/old Toon tops around the house and have done for years even when I gave up on the Ashley era, mind I’m a lazy tramp and even wear my work t-shirts around the house. Mind, I wouldn’t wear a Toon top outdoors unless I’m at the match or playing 5-a-side or I’m on holiday. Each to their own though.

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Remember after a couple of weeks living in Leeds I saw a lad in a Man Utd top walking through town. Literally froze, waiting for mass public disorder after everything I'd heard about how toxic and nasty their rivalry is. Was  amazed that he was able to carry on shopping in peace :lol: