Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

Aye feels like he has all the tools to be one of the absolute best in the world but clearly lacking the mentality 

Used to love him at City but feels like he’s just fucked off trying to improve since he left.

Boro will be fine, hope Plymouth survive. Couldn’t care less about any of the others going down. The championship is a wild league, would hate to be in it these days 

How good is McKenna, by the way? I suppose he needs to maintain this with Ipswich for a bit longer. But I think he is similar to Rob Edwards and could be given a shot at a bigger/Prem club next.

Both have done amazingly well with the players available and respective budgets. 

On 03/03/2024 at 19:36, Mase said:

My dad took me to Maine Road in ‘95 and it was just all Mancs. When we went on holiday during the 90’s and 2000’s it would be so rare to see someone else in a City shirt that when we did we’d go over and have a chat. If someone foreign asked who we supported and we said, “Manchester City” they’d automatically respond with “Yes Manchester United!!”

Unfortunately now on a match day there’s a good number of tourists, people walking down the steps of the stand to take a picture at the front. I understand that it’s inevitable, but I do sometimes wish for the old Maine Road days. We went away last summer and there were tons of kids in City shirts running around, most of them not English kids and probably never been to watch one of our games. My first thought is “they’ll never know what it’s like going into school as the only City fan, surrounded by Man U fans taking the piss every Monday!”

As someone’s said, the half and half scarves need banning. Not just for a derby match but all together! They’re horrendous.

just a follow up to this (I was going to start a thread to get your opinions but I don’t think I’m allowed) - my dad was telling me he saw loads of trouble at the City game on Sunday. 

He said that quite a few “tourist” Man U fans bought tickets in the City end thinking it would be fine (which is weird as their away end was empty) - and it might have been…..until they stood up cheering when United scored!! 

He said he could see pockets just jumping up and it kicking off when Rashford scored. There was someone a few rows behind him that jumped up and the stewards were on him straight away - launched him out and threw his half and half scarf away. Others got whacked as they were being chucked out. 

What are your thoughts? If a Sunderland fan jumped up screaming and shouting in a derby in your end would you expect them to get a few digs?

For me, I think it’s baffling that any fan, even a tourist, would think it’s okay to jump up and scream and shout in the wrong end, especially in a derby. Imagine it happening at Celtic - Rangers!!! I think there would be manslaughter charges dished out!

As a kid we went to quite a few away grounds and sat in the home end because we knew people that supported the home team. I’ve sat in the Holt End at Villa Park when Alfie Haaland scored the first and I just looked up at my mum and she shook her head and I kept quiet. Been in the West Brom, Sheff United, Blackburn, Macclesfield home ends and just kept quiet when the likes of Shaun Goater scored. It’s just common sense. 

But there seems to be a new wave of tourist fans that don’t really understand this. 

Edited by Mase

Just now, gbandit said:

Boro will be fine, hope Plymouth survive. Couldn’t care less about any of the others going down. The championship is a wild league, would hate to be in it these days 

It's been kinda great tbh. Almost feels like just sending Rotherham down and bringing up Portsmouth would be the best for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Mase said:

just a follow up to this (I was going to start a thread to get your opinions but I don’t think I’m allowed) - my dad was telling me he saw loads of trouble at the City game on Sunday. 

He said that quite a few “tourist” Man U fans bought tickets in the City end thinking it would be fine (which is weird as their away was empty) - and it might have been…..until they stood up cheering when United scored!! 

He said he could see pockets just jumping up and it kicking off when Rashford scored. There was someone a few rows behind him that jumped up and the stewards were on him straight away - launched him out and threw his half and half scarf away. Others got whacked as they were being chucked out. 

What are your thoughts? If a Sunderland fan jumped up screaming and shouting in a derby in your end would you expect them to get a few digs?

For me, I think it’s baffling that any fan, even a tourist, would think it’s okay to jump up and scream and shout in the wrong end. Imagine it happening at Celtic - Rangers!!! I think there would be manslaughter charges dished out!

As a kid we went to quite a few away ground and sat in the home end because we knew people that supported the home team. I’ve sat in the Holt End at Villa Park when Alfie Haaland scored the first and I just looked up at my mum and she shook her head and I kept quiet. Been in the West Brom, Sheff United, Blackburn, Macclesfield home ends and just kept quiet when the likes of Shaun Goater scored. It’s just common sense. 

But there seems to be a new wave of tourist fans that don’t really understand this. 

My Dad and I would occasionally go in the opposing ends if we couldn't get tickets for Spurs away back in the 80s and early 90s. We got pretty good at polite applause and generic comments. One of my favourite ever footy matches though was Boxing Day 1989 at home to Millwall. For some reason we couldn't get into the East Stand and I still don't know how but we managed to get tickets for the Millwall section in the Park Lane. I was 16 and was shitting myself a bit but kept schtum. Millwall looked OK for a bit but then Spurs took them apart and their fans just decided to take the piss out of their own team. We were all pretty loaded so it was just a fantastic atmosphere, although we did have to pretend to celebrate when they scored a consolation in the second half.

I don't think I';d give someone a clout in that situation but I'd probably be giving them dog's abuse. Can't promise I'd not be giving it to a kid either :ructions:

I think an Arsenal fan got a few slaps last season? Supposedly was being OTT and almost goading people. So hardly surprising. It was up in level 7 and there was a short clip on Twitter of it.