Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Off to Palmeiras game tonight, will report back.

Only this weird Sao Paulo championship they have so not sure if they play the proper team, but should be fun. 

Hope Endrick finally ends his drought. And they’re playing a proper side. I imagine you will recognize their badge :lol: 

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

City play objectively good football but I find them so dull to watch at times. I don’t want to watch a 90min possession exercise.

I think Haaland hates it too.

I spent a lot of the game just watching him when they have the ball. The number of fantastic runs that guy makes into space off the ball while his team mates are looking right at him and they just turn and pass it backwards!

He looked fed up of it at one point.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I spent a lot of the game just watching him when they have the ball. The number of fantastic runs that guy makes into space off the ball while his team mates are looking right at him and they just turn and pass it backwards!

Yeah, I think there was one towards the end that particularly annoyed him

It's so strange they won't play him in at every possible opportunity 

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Their two-touch sideways and backwards passing is such a waste of a unique, wrecking ball of a forward

27 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Their two-touch sideways and backwards passing is such a waste of a unique, wrecking ball of a forward

Yeah, as many goals as he has scored for them, you can't help but wonder how many more he would have had if they were even just a bit more direct at times when he makes those runs.

29 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Yeah, I think there was one towards the end that particularly annoyed him

It's so strange they won't play him in at every possible opportunity 

It must be infuriating.

It's funny because not to quite the same extent perhaps, but I noticed a similar thing with Lukaku when he returned to Chelsea under Tuchel. Time and time again he was making the same early runs into space that got him so much joy at Inter when paired with Lautaro, and the Chelsea players just kept ignoring his runs, and he would complain to them about it over and over again.

Wasn't long after he just started moping about on the pitch and not bothering half as much anymore.

11 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Did they end up spending that money?

That was a PR move. 

Was it fuck- they’ve courted him for years. PSG didn’t respond to the bid- nothing to do with PR by Real. The fact he didn’t go is purely due to the fact that some players don’t see them as the step up that they once were.

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Was it fuck- they’ve courted him for years. PSG didn’t respond to the bid- nothing to do with PR by Real. The fact he didn’t go is purely due to the fact that some players don’t see them as the step up that they once were.

They offered that to a team that doesn't need the money, were determined not to lose him let alone sell while Mbappe had 1-year left on his contract. It was never going to be acceped. It was done as a PR move and to unsettle Mbappe and the PSG hierarchy.

The real target was getting him for free at the end of the contract - and we know that didn't happen either.

They made that 200m euro bid in Aug 2021. Including that window, they'e spent 110m in the transfer market with a "net spend" in the hundreds of millions  in the last 3 years.

Total transfer fees, net spend however you want to calculate it they haven't been outspending their competition in the transfer market. I reckon Liverpool's team cost 2x that of Madrid's last night.

12 hours ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, as many goals as he has scored for them, you can't help but wonder how many more he would have had if they were even just a bit more direct at times when he makes those runs.

Think Pep views him as a bit of an neccessary evil. The possible piece that would win them the Champions League but I don't think he really wants an actual direct physical striker causing carnage though. 

He's just not really embaraced him and what he offers. Trying to just shoehorn him into a system that is built on meticulous, controlled slow build-up play just means they have one less player now contributing to that and they are wasting his biggest strengths at the same time. It's actually so annoying to watch :lol:

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

They offered that to a team that doesn't need the money, were determined not to lose him let alone sell while Mbappe had 1-year left on his contract. It was never going to be acceped. It was done as a PR move and to unsettle Mbappe and the PSG hierarchy.

The real target was getting him for free at the end of the contract - and we know that didn't happen either.

They made that 200m euro bid in Aug 2021. Including that window, they'e spent 110m in the transfer market with a "net spend" in the hundreds of millions  in the last 3 years.

Total transfer fees, net spend however you want to calculate it they haven't been outspending their competition in the transfer market. I reckon Liverpool's team cost 2x that of Madrid's last night.

They only reason that is the case for the last 3 years though is that they previously threw money around without thinking of how they could afford it, and which is now why they now can’t compete financially with other big clubs.  It was only in the 19/20 season they bought the likes of Hazard for £110m, plus Jovic, Mendy, Militao, Rodrygo all for around £50m each. Now they have the gall to complain about Mbappe signing a huge contract to stay at PSG. Pot and kettle spring to mind. La Liga are as corrupt (if not more so) than other leagues, and Real and Barca are the root cause of that. (Hence their super league involvement, obviously)

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

They only reason that is the case for the last 3 years though is that they previously threw money around without thinking of how they could afford it, and which is now why they now can’t compete financially with other big clubs.  It was only in the 19/20 season they bought the likes of Hazard for £110m, plus Jovic, Mendy, Militao, Rodrygo all for around £50m each. Now they have the gall to complain about Mbappe signing a huge contract to stay at PSG. Pot and kettle spring to mind. La Liga are as corrupt (if not more so) than other leagues, and Real and Barca are the root cause of that. (Hence their super league involvement, obviously)

The primary reason they've been spending less in the transfer market is the renovations to the Bernabeau have cost close to 1bn euros. It's that simple. You can take that spending spree into consideration, they're still in the black (or close) for net spend. Then compare that to Arsenal.

There's other factors: revenues from TV does not compare to PL, solid business principles, Covid & not being owned by a nation state.

They beat Liverpool to Touchameni. Lots of elite clubs wanted Endrick, Vini Jr. as far back to Odegaard and they beat them all - partly down to paying a premium. The idea that they can't compete with other big clubs is simply not true. But my original point is true. They're not winning by simply outspending the competition in Europe, they're operating smarter. Again, that Liverpool team probably cost 2x the Real Madrid team.

Don't just regurgitate tired tropes. Actually look at the picture.