Still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

On 18/08/2024 at 12:32, madras said:

I had to leave the match at 4:35 yesterday to get to work, on leaving I spotted a group of about 15 mostly middle aged people, one woman had to be 70+, sat outside, most in Newcastle tops listening to the match. Told me they couldn't afford/couldnt get tickets so turn up for the atmosphere and to still feel part of it.

Reminds me of leaving a Liverpool away game back under Pardew or some other shit manager.  It was an early KO, I think we'd just gone 3-0 down and I was flagging after a heavy day and night before.  Tried getting back into the Arkle where we were before, but no away fans after the match.  Or so they said.  Pointed me to a pub down the road, flat iron, something like that.  Anyway, got offered plastics to go outside, which was to just go and stand on the street which was an odd, but actually kind of enjoyable experience.  They had the game on the radio with loads of the old boys attentively listening to it.   

4 minutes ago, Big River said:

"takeover from hell" :lol: give me a break

Love a bit of short-sighted football 'woe'.  There's a lad at work late 30s, Northumberland born and bred, supports Liverpool. Says he has since he was young and when it gets pointed out that a lot of people glory hunt successful teams when they're younger but generally eventually grow up and follow their local team, he tries to justify his continued adult support with 'I've stuck with them through the bad times' :lol:

12 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Estevao injuring another player last night with a Harry Kane special of backing into a jumping player. I was hoping official might clamp down on it this season before someone gets seriously hurt.

It’s not that bad like - 

Cant think of a single bad injury from it. I get there’s a few but nothing absurd 

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Love a bit of short-sighted football 'woe'.  There's a lad at work late 30s, Northumberland born and bred, supports Liverpool. Says he has since he was young and when it gets pointed out that a lot of people glory hunt successful teams when they're younger but generally eventually grow up and follow their local team, he tries to justify his continued adult support with 'I've stuck with them through the bad times' :lol:

They couldn't withstand a few months of Hodgson having them in midtable without struggling to sell out a 44k capacity Anfield and getting nowhere close to selling out for cup/European games.

4 hours ago, OpenC said:

Actually think ‘glory hunting’ is an odd concept and have no issue here. It’s a phrase used to attack people who picked a team before they were old enough to know better and if they’ve stuck with them that at least shows they aren’t fickle surely. Perhaps Liverpool isn’t as good an example, but I know plenty of Man Utd fans (cos I live in London etc) and they’ve been crap for years, but surely it doesn’t reflect badly on the fans that they still care about the team when they could easily jump ship. 

I mostly grew up in Kent while supporting Newcastle though, so there’s my take [emoji38]

Well, that's been done to death on here I'm sure; I make no judgement on that side of it and Glory Hunter is just the accepted term I know for someone with no connection to a team following them simply because they win stuff, or have done.  I find it a pretty alien concept but folk can of course support who they want. I just can't help but think that when he goes to watch them and tells people he's driven four hours to get there, most of the fans would, rather than thinking he's one of their own, wonder why he's not at SJP watching Newcastle.

I really don't see what he gets out of it, but the story was less about people following non-local teams and more to highlight this lad pointing out the supposed troubles he's gone through as a Liverpool fan the last four decades :lol: your saying that Manchester United 'have been crap for years' suggests to me that we're perhaps coming at this from very different angles, though :) in the grand scheme of English football, they've hardly been objectively crap

Edited by OpenC

13 hours ago, OCK said:

I just want to know what the stuff is that would make you weep. Tuchel a bad boy? 

I always wondered what he stopped his wife from saying 

That doesn't link anywhere, looks like you need to be logged in.  I'm assuming it was just down the road from me in Alnwick. Looked like it anyway :)

'cast here' = 'on this site' rather than 'at this location', I see :thup: :)

Location was, I reckon, Aln Valley Railway

Edited by OpenC

Christ, I used to watch Hashtag videos back when he was at the club, he seemed like a decent enough bloke. Guess he was a wolf in sheep's clothing, as that is utterly grim.

How the hell would he clear a DBS if thats hanging over him btw? Especially given he could be coaching young players. Baffling. 

On 20/08/2024 at 23:03, St. Maximin said:

Actually think ‘glory hunting’ is an odd concept and have no issue here. It’s a phrase used to attack people who picked a team before they were old enough to know better and if they’ve stuck with them that at least shows they aren’t fickle surely. Perhaps Liverpool isn’t as good an example, but I know plenty of Man Utd fans (cos I live in London etc) and they’ve been crap for years, but surely it doesn’t reflect badly on the fans that they still care about the team when they could easily jump ship. 

I mostly grew up in Kent while supporting Newcastle though, so there’s my take [emoji38]

I had this exact conversation on Reddit the other day. Someone was saying that you now can’t call Man Utd fans glory hunters because of the bad time they have had since SAF left.

I pointed out to him that in the last 10 years they have won 5 trophies, 2 in the last 2 years, and the lowest they have finished is 8th. Every club outside of the top 6, well actually Spurs included would actually think that is a dream scenario.

Imagine thinking that winning a trophy on average every other season isn’t successful and you are not a glory hunter because that’s the worst spell you have known your club to go through?

If Man Utd started finishing mid table and not winning trophies for 10 years, and the glory hunters still stuck by them, then I’d start to consider not calling them glory hunters anymore. Until then, nah you picked your sweets, it’s your fault that they are too sour.