Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

14 minutes ago, dorty said:

I think this could be the beginning of the end for MOTD. 

Football viewing is going to change massively in the next few years.

The EFL will do away with their 3pm blackouts, and possibly sell to a streaming provider.

Despite them saying they won’t follow up, the Premier League will do the same.

The appeal of MOTD got a lot more limited once they allowed Sky to start showing highlights and a full game before MOTD started, then allowed highlights to be shown from 6pm online.

The only way MOTD survives long term as a highlights show, is if they become like what Soccer Saturday is and show scores and goals as they go in.

5 minutes ago, dorty said:

I don't think so and hope not. Its appeal is so much more than just a highlights service, which is why it's still got steady viewing figures despite every highlight being available from numerous sources at the click of a button. There's something about MotD that almost legitimises Saturday. It has a cultural 'strength' that an alternative just doesn't have. 

I know it's nearly twenty years ago and so the comparison perhaps isn't ideal, but there's a reason why 'The Premiership' failed, and it wasn't just cos it was on at 7pm.

49 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s just calling out someone’s political stance. He hasn’t in that post indicated whether it’s good or bad. However, if you think that refusing some of the most desperate people in the world a place to seek asylum, and housing them in detention centres that are inhumane for months on end, then it’s absolutely fair to call someone out as having shit politics. It’s totally fine to hold those views, but they’re allowed to be challenged and rubbished 

Of course genuine asylum seekers should always be given the oppotunity to apply for asylum, but they are not to be conflated with the priority given to economic migrants.  I'm sure you would agree.  It's not surprising that people from all over the world want to come and live in the UK.  We are the most generous and tolerant country in the world with a high standard of living compared to a lot of other countries.  We should be proud of that.

The whole idea of something like MOTD is that it isn't supposed to be that it 'survives' - it's not in the ratings business like other programmes are. It's not beholden to advertisers, it's a public institution that's beholden to the public, on what's supposed to be the public's broadcaster.

It's not enough that capitalism ruins everything it touches, we have to use its metrics as a measure of success as well. Nothing can just exist as a public good, it has to justify itself over and over again on this insane model of infinite growth.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's not enough that capitalism ruins everything it touches, we have to use its metrics as a measure of success as well. Nothing can just exist as a public good, it has to justify itself over and over again on this insane model of infinite growth.

:thup: aye

By the time MOTD comes on, I already know all the scores etc and so, I'm only going to watch it if we've won to replay the happiness. Basically, just like I'll read the match report the next day.

Or there's been a particularly controversial incident, or if there's been some huge other game.

It's not really needed any more for a lot of people, but I do think that having a highlights package on the main terrestrial channel for the millions who don't have Sky or don't stream is actually of more value to the PL.

I'm sure they'll be quite happy with all this coverage in week 1, but will be fuming if it carries on much longer, or if the BBC abandon MOTD altogether. It's a great advertising tool for Sky.

Either way, the BBC has put itself in a ridiculous position here.

Edited by Abacus

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The whole idea of something like MOTD isn't supposed to be that it 'survives' - it's not in the ratings business like other programmes are. It's not beholden to advertisers, it's a public institution that's beholden to the public, on what's supposed to be the public's broadcaster.

Nothing epitomises capitalism more than the world ( the industry ) of football !  It is capitalist to it's very core.

5 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

Nothing epitomises capitalism more than the world ( the industry ) of football !  It is capitalist to it's very core.

As is anything that's profitable. It's not unique to football that it's been evermore monetised into meaninglessness. It happens to most things.

It wasn't always this bad though, nor does it have anything to do with why people love the actual game itself. If anything it's only made it more popular, more global, more profitable, but ultimately worse imo.

26 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

Of course genuine asylum seekers should always be given the oppotunity to apply for asylum, but they are not to be conflated with the priority given to economic migrants.  I'm sure you would agree.  It's not surprising that people from all over the world want to come and live in the UK.  We are the most generous and tolerant country in the world with a high standard of living compared to a lot of other countries.  We should be proud of that.

I really think you need to do a bit of reading around social welfare in the rest of Europe fella. We might be one of the richest countries in the World, but we are a long way short of one of the most generous. Just look at the number of our citizens (Never mind Asylum seekers who can’t work, receiving the amazingly generous total of £35 a week) having to choose to eat or heat for a start. And as for tolerance really? I think the direction of our politics the last decade or so would strongly suggest otherwise.

53 minutes ago, dorty said:

I hope not. I don't watch it every week, but if I do, it's because they have a great front man in Gary Lineker, and the rest of their pundits aren't the worst around. It's a nice show to watch on a Saturday night if you just want to watch highlights of the other games.

2 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I really think you need to do a bit of reading around social welfare in the rest of Europe fella. We might be one of the richest countries in the World, but we are a long way short of one of the most generous. Just look at the number of our citizens (Never mind Asylum seekers who can’t work, receiving the amazingly generous total of £35 a week) having to choose to eat or heat for a start. And as for tolerance really? I think the direction of our politics the last decade or so would strongly suggest otherwise.

Thanks for your guidance fella .. but I am extremely "well read".

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Also worth mentioning that if we are talking about being one of the most tolerant nations in the world, it's because we have socially conscious people like Gary Lineker, not hard right bitches like Suella or the Daily Mail fan base she is appealing to.

2 hours ago, buzz said:

Once Sky Sports started uploading match highlights within hours of the games finishing I thought MOTD's days were numbered. People interested in tactical analysis are probably watching dedicated YouTube/TikTok channels too, not the kind of generic stuff you get from Shearer and co. I'd be interested in seeing a demographic breakdown. Ironically I'd assume most MOTD viewers are older (i.e. the kind most likely to hate Lineker :lol: )

That’s an odd assumption tbf - most people don’t have Sky, and a solid chunk of MOTD’s audience aren’t at home watching TV c.8pm on a Saturday.  That’s why ‘The Premiership’ on ITV failed - they thought showing highlights in prime time shortly after the games finished was a winner.  It wasn’t, and the time slot was cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Also worth mentioning that if we are talking about being one of the most tolerant nations in the world, it's because we have socially conscious people like Gary Lineker, not hard right bitches like Suella or the Daily Mail fan base she is appealing to.

Edited by Jonas

34 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

You can’t know if they are going to successfully apply until they apply.  Which is why forcing people into small boats as a result of trying everything possible to stop people from arriving to claim asylum is fucking ludicrous and panders only to the nasty racist elements of society - some of whom then feign concern for the lives of people in those boats, despite their desperate gamble being the result of the actions they supported in the first place. 

10 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

Thanks for your guidance fella .. but I am extremely "well read".

Well if that were the case you’d know our benefit system is one of the least generous in Western Europe, our state pension one of the worst in Europe. One of the most expensive higher education systems in Europe, need I go on?

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

36 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The whole idea of something like MOTD is that it isn't supposed to be that it 'survives' - it's not in the ratings business like other programmes are. It's not beholden to advertisers, it's a public institution that's beholden to the public, on what's supposed to be the public's broadcaster.

Tell that to Top of the Pops, born around the same time and was also a social institution.  Ratings do matter for the BBC - it is one of the ways it keeps it’s licence and funding. 

8 minutes ago, Jonas said:

If that’s an attempt at pointing out ‘hypocrisy’, you’ve failed to do so.  The point TRon made is consistent - there’s no hypocrisy in a lack of tolerance for intolerance, particularly when that intolerance is leading to the deaths of vulnerable people.