Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

1 hour ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I think you're absolutely spot on. Southgate is not one for looking at evidence or making decisions based on what is happening on the pitch. The single most important thing for Gareth Souuthgate is Gareth Southgate and as long as Gareth Southgate thinks it's right, it doesn't matter whether it works or not.

He seems to believe his own hubris and it makes for some fucking painful to watch and highly ineffective football. But I'm only a fan, so my opinion isn't important. I'm not Gareth Southgate, so as far as he's concerned, my opinion is worthless, even if it is based on what has gone on during the match.

The point I was wanting to make is that even if Southgate gets some decisions wrong, if he were to try to please public or media opinion by going with the flow, he'd end up in an even bigger mess. 

I'm intrigued by the fact that the mess we saw on Friday was one I've seen before with England teams, and many on here have had the same thought. We saw one group of players acting as a team, and another acting as individuals, seemingly without any collective confidence in what they were supposed to be doing. I watched with my spouse, and even though she only watches one football game every two years, she was able to identify that crucial difference. 

The remedy isn't for Southgate to start picking the fans' favourites. 

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

the coach and players still pedalling the line that its extremely rare that a team wins all 3 group stage games.

they're still not getting it.

thats not what most supporters were livid about,

That annoys me. It's just some weird quirk, it's not essential to drop points in a game at least once and no excuse for playing for a draw v USA.

As I've said. England's performance v the USA was peak England. Seen it constantly in group games. The rarity was the 6 goals v Iran. 

Perhaps that overly raised expectations. 

The way we play is limited and we don't use the strengths we have imho. 

We never build a team specifically around flair. Brooking, Hoddle, Currie (showing my age 😂

One thing I noted during the commentary was the suggestion Southgate likes his back for "because they all get on" 

Nice 🤔

Oh and Grealish really is wank

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

As I've said. England's performance v the USA was peak England. Seen it constantly in group games. The rarity was the 6 goals v Iran. 

Perhaps that overly raised expectations. 

The way we play is limited and we don't use the strengths we have imho. 

We never build a team specifically around flair. Brooking, Hoddle, Currie (showing my age 😂

One thing I noted during the commentary was the suggestion Southgate likes his back for "because they all get on" 

Nice 🤔

Oh and Grealish really is wank

I personally thought Grealish was the only one trying to make things happen. I was about 9 pints deep by the time he came on though.

Grealish always tries to make things happen, unfortunately it usually means running down blind alleys and losing the ball. I feel like you should only get away with that if you have good end product, which he doesn’t. He probably wouldn’t have even made my squad tbh.

52 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I personally thought Grealish was the only one trying to make things happen. I was about 9 pints deep by the time he came on though.

Tbf when the previous 70mins were so turgid he would look better. For me he looks good but does nothing but show pony. Vastly overrated 

25 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Grealish always tries to make things happen, unfortunately it usually means running down blind alleys and losing the ball. I feel like you should only get away with that if you have good end product, which he doesn’t. He probably wouldn’t have even made my squad tbh.

His main strength these days is drawing fouls. May come in handy in tight games when we need set pieces tbf. Other than that he really seems to have been neutralised at Man City, it's disappointing. 

Tifo on YouTube nailed it re Foden.  He’d start for Spain, but because he tries to make thing happen, this as a necessity means that he will occasionally lose possession.  This isn’t how Southgate wants to play, so he doesn’t start.

It is risk-averse football.  Yawn. 

On 26/11/2022 at 14:15, cubaricho said:

Wilson pulls the whole team forward and brings the wingers/outside forwards into play, Kane drops back to DM and compresses the whole formation. You would’ve won yesterday with Wilson up front running at Ream and Zimmerman. 

Rooney used to like to play midfielder too.

Absolutely awful, I’ve been supportive of Southgate from the perspective that he’s a good guy and he has built a good spirit within the group but his actual tactical ability and his prioritisation of defensive-minded players and formations is absolutely shit