Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

Fuming about Wales stinking it out at this world cup. One half-decent half against USA, the rest of their games they've been a complete waste of space. Even the first half yesterday, they looked like a poor version of Bruce era Newcastle coming up against Man City away, just hoping that somehow they'd luck their way to a point. 

29 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Pickford's just a better all round goalkeeper.

I think Pickford is better at kicking and that's it. If I had a straight choice between the two for Newcastle I would choose Pope every time. 

7 hours ago, tgarve said:

I reckon he will start Walker and Sterling unfortunately 

wouldn’t mind Philips in there if he opts for 3 in cm 

I actually think the midfield three of Henderson, Rice and Bellingham from yesterday had a really good balance, and would be tempted to start with that, as having Jude in that more advanced role allowed him more freedom to influence the game, especially with two players behind him that don't mind doing the dirty stuff.

10 hours ago, Pata said:

Kane

Sterling          Mount

Hendo        Rice

Phillips

Shaw                                 Walker

Stones  Maguire  White

Pickford

:shifty:

‘Hendo’ 🤮 

Even with playing with 12 players in a 5-3-3 like above I still wouldn’t start him

Edited by TheBrownBottle

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

Pickford

Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice Bellingham

Saka             Foden            Rashford 

Kane

IMO 

I think Southgate will stick with the same side.

Pushing Bellingham further forward into what looked like Mount's role seemed to work well. 

I think there's too much hype about Rashford. Both his goals involved goalkeeping errors. Gary Lineker pointed out correctly that he loses the ball a lot, and we really need to develop more fluency in our combination play. Rashford is a good athlete but with a poor first touch. I'd stick with Saka.

Phillips is better at getting the ball forward than Rice, and I'd pick Henderson for his leadership. I don't think Kane is a great captain.

So I'd pick - 

Pickford

Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw

Henderson Phillips

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

9 hours ago, jwclark2342 said:

Why do I keep imagining Pickford’s short arms is going to cost England the World Cup?

Perhaps a similar reason that I thought Shilton’s age-slowed reaction time might cost us in the 1990 finals (…think it did contribute). Similarly T-Rex arms might not reach something Pope would/could. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I think Pickford is better at kicking and that's it. If I had a straight choice between the two for Newcastle I would choose Pope every time. 

Pickford's a slightly better shot stopper in my opinion and commands his area a bit better. Pope is just a taller Shay Given for me (which is obviously by no means a bad thing), I just think given the more rounded nature of all the top keepers these days Pickford edges it for me. In terms if who I'd rather have at Newcastle....howay, that's an obvious one. The charver twat would throw the ball in the net.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Pickford's a slightly better shot stopper in my opinion and commands his area a bit better. Pope is just a taller Shay Given for me (which is obviously by no means a bad thing), I just think given the more rounded nature of all the top keepers these days Pickford edges it for me. In terms if who I'd rather have at Newcastle....howay, that's an obvious one. The charver twat would throw the ball in the net.

Pickford commands his box better than Pope? What am I reading…..

Pope’s kicking is a bit rubbish by modern day keeper standards. But he is class coming off his line, claiming high balls and when playing as a sweeper keeper. 

I don’t get the Shay Given comparison at all?

Decent performance last night. First half was boring, but much better than Friday and we were in complete control. Just the final ball was lacking. 

It feels like we are still a very cautious side. But if we get a goal and teams have to throw caution to the wind against us. Then we have a chance of scoring through a number of players in the squad. Actually carry a lot of FRET when the game opens up. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Pickford commands his box better than Pope? What am I reading…..

Pope’s kicking is a bit rubbish by modern day keeper standards. But he is class coming off his line, claiming high balls and when playing as a sweeper keeper. 

I don’t get the Shay Given comparison at all?

Good shot stopper, good with crosses, decent 1 on 1's but poor distribution and at times a bit rooted.

Just my observation from the Gallowgate.

Best keeper since Shay by a distance.

1 hour ago, TotalWar said:

Are there any stats to show Bale’s performance during the game, how many touches, whether he actually moved at all?

7 touches, 4 passes (total, including accurate and inaccurate), lost possession 5 times.

22 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Good shot stopper, good with crosses, decent 1 on 1's but poor distribution and at times a bit rooted.

Just my observation from the Gallowgate.

Best keeper since Shay by a distance.

I think they are fair enough comments regarding Pope. Still don’t see how Pickford commands his box better, mind?

Constantly flapping about, looks ropey with crosses and set pieces and just shouts at his defence and kicks off every 5 mins for no reason. 

All that said. I do get why Pickford starts ahead of Pope for England. Doesn’t look as ropey as he does for Everton and has never really been punished for errors he’s made. Pope had his chance to make an impression and blew it against Germany. 

26 minutes ago, Wullie said:

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I think they are fair enough comments regarding Pope. Still don’t see how Pickford commands his box better, mind?

Constantly flapping about, looks ropey with crosses and set pieces and just shouts at his defence and kicks off every 5 mins for no reason. 

All that said. I do get why Pickford starts ahead of Pope for England. Doesn’t look as ropey as he does for Everton and has never really been punished for errors he’s made. Pope had his chance to make an impression and blew it against Germany. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Prickford leave the six yard box to take a cross.All your points are valid.👍

Edited by tomlynnherrington

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

By box I mean 18 yard btw. I think every PL goalkeeper commands their 6 yard box, it's just a default 'must have' at that level.

10 hours ago, Away Toon said:

Walker is an athlete, he's fast or was fast. I don't think he's a very good footballer and I can't remember him ever  sending in a good cross. Walker is not an upgrade in any sense over Trippier except maybe in a back 3. TAA is an upgrade on Trippier going forward but he can't or won't defend. Just my opinion.

Trippy looks to link up with players in front of him as his preferred first option.Walker doesn’t, therefore slows the game down with his 10 yard passes either sideways or backwards. I still cannot understand why only Trippy gets pushed to left back and not Arnold or Walker

16 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

By box I mean 18 yard btw. I think every PL goalkeeper commands their 6 yard box, it's just a default 'must have' at that level.

Aye.  I wasn't on about the 6 yard box.  Pickford just doesn't command his box better than Pope.  I think Pope is usually off his line quickly, when that is the right thing to do.  Even likes leaving his box quite regularly, which usually works, but always gets me a bit worried :lol: 

Not even a contest if you're talking about coming off his line for deep crosses or set pieces.  Pope is far superior to Pickford at that.   

Edited by Lush Vlad

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Aye.  I wasn't on about the 6 yard box.  Pickford just doesn't command his box better than Pope.  I think Pope is usually off his line quickly, when that is the right thing to do.  Even likes leaving his box quite regularly, which usually works, but always gets me a bit worried :lol: 

Not even a contest if you're talking about coming off his line for deep crosses or set pieces.  Pope is far superior to Pickford at that.   

I cannot disagree with any on that.